• Advertisement

AC's Bubble Column

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Re: AC's Bubble Column

Postby Izzy_Britton » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:51 pm

I finally finished reading this build thread. VERY NICE WORK!

I would like to test out the valved plates some time in the near future myself. glad to see more and more people making them work.
I Z Z Y
I wrote:Being broke with ideas sucks
Izzy_Britton

Equipment type: NO Equipment :(

Postby jake_leg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 am

Just thought I'd paste this over from Sungy's penny valve build thread on HD.

acfixer69 wrote:Sungy

I have been very busy with life's crosses to bare and not being more active on this thread. Since I chose to put my 2 pennies in earlier.
I have only made a few runs with my valved plate tree but there were good ones. I use the bubble cap tree more often.
Why? Well the valve plates are a little harder to keep in control. You will need good reflux control and heat control. I use 2- 4500W heaters on a phase angle controller. Only 1- 4500W heater on the run. The plates tend to flood while equalizing. Just needs to be watched. Once set, 18 Amps for me, they consistently will piss out 88% ABV thru hearts. Keep in mind mine is a 3 plate. After that it runs the same as my bubble plates that also run solid 88% ABV with 3 plates.

AC

Wouldn't mind a video of the valve plates some time, nudge nudge ;)
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby acfixer69 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Some changes and /or mods I did this weekend to make life easier. I re-piped the parrot vent to come off with the parrot. This allows me to remove the parrot and put a hose connection on and back flush the condenser and column with the hot water from the recycle bucket back to the boiler and drain it in one simple step. Clean up is easy as pie.

AC
the lazy bastard
Attachments
CIMG1514-001.JPG
hose adapter replacing parrot in a back flush
CIMG1514-001.JPG (143.33 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
CIMG1513-001.JPG
new parrot with vent
CIMG1513-001.JPG (142.95 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Postby Bonjimmi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Looks great AC.... I like it...

Are you running the still with all 7 plates or just the 4?

Bon :rkn:
Bonjimmi

Postby acfixer69 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Hey bon
Running with 3 bubble cap plates and copper mesh in the 4th bin . bumped m abv up to 92-93 for most of the run. Just tring new stuff. That is why I made it modual. Sippin thinth 3 oclock and its catchin me
AC :P
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby Bonjimmi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Sippin sense 3 o'clock ..... WoW. You bust be in happy land right about now...lol

That's funny you say that you put some copper mesh above your plates... I will end up with about a 12" empty section above my plates that I was thinking about filling it with mesh...

Bon
Bonjimmi

Postby acfixer69 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 am

im more tired then cooked but its all fun. Going to try the 7 plate set up with the mesh in the center and the top. This a UJ corn to vodka try. Titos does it so can I
AC
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby Swede » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Bonjimmi wrote:Sippin sense 3 o'clock ..... WoW. You bust be in happy land right about now...lol

That's funny you say that you put some copper mesh above your plates... I will end up with about a 12" empty section above my plates that I was thinking about filling it with mesh...

Bon

I know you're not doing it for the same reason as me, but a bit of mesh/scrubbie above the top plate acts as something of a reflux spreader, and for me it's mostly there for the catalytic action of the copper. My still is all stainless, so having the copper there is a huge benefit.

And kudos on the sippin, my holidays start next week and I'll be right along side ya :) :beer:
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby tickle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Beauty of build;beast of a rig! Your build inspired me to start a bubbler of my own. Any updates or changes? Improvements or advice for somebody following in you footsteps?
tickle

Equipment type: 4" 4 plate copper bubble cap. 2stage shotty precondensor, keg boiler.

Postby acfixer69 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks Tickle
I was hoping to post a video of the valved plate from my run this weekend but the valved plate was leaking by at the walls and not filling properly :evil: so I switched back too the caps tray and ran my washes.
Advice on removable trays would be use at least type L copper or stainless for the column. On DVW the wall is too soft to keep things tight. I think sweating in is what I am going to do on my valved trays since I have DWV tube.
I put the torch to it and going to rebuild it this week I hope. Tte pic is what the valve tree looks like after much frustration. :x

AC
Attachments
CIMG1522-002.JPG
CIMG1522-002.JPG (139.43 KiB) Viewed 6211 times
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby tickle » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 pm

how are you making out?
tickle

Equipment type: 4" 4 plate copper bubble cap. 2stage shotty precondensor, keg boiler.

Postby acfixer69 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for our interest Tickle
I worked the plates by increasing the downcomer tube to 3/4" and blocking off a few valves to receive the tube on the plate. Tried to reuse the old rivets cheap bastard as I am and the soft solder was running all over :x and since I am soldering these in with no 2nd chance to repair I ordered new rivet. They should be in this Tuesday and hope my 2 15Gal washes will finish by the weekend. I'm pumped and hope this works out. Video will follow and hope this will bring more valved plate interest. :D
I want a valved plate column that will make a Vodka. Not a neutral. :rkn:

AC
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby acfixer69 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Well I got battered to day. I am quitting the valved plate idea. It was a bitch to sweat in the plates and the downcommers at 3/4" ID still were not enough to control all reflux. It all runs wild and uncontrollable from the controller. Friggin pissed an think I am going to sieve plates next trick. The bubble plate tree is golden now but my interest is not with the valved plate. UJ VODKA to night. gulp gulp....
AC
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 am

acfixer69 wrote:Well I got battered to day. I am quitting the valved plate idea. AC

Sorry to hear that AC.
If I offer a solution, would you be willing to reconsider the Valved tray idea?

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:56 am

my spirits wrote:I have tried all types of plates, bubble caps, valves, and perforated plates, I cannot find any difference in the end product yet.

I've only tried perforated/seive plates.

They work and work well. They are cheap to make and give great results.

So far, I cant see why anyone would use bubble caps or valved plates, when no one can prove they are better.
The only guys I have seen that HAVE tried it both ways, can not discern any difference between finnished product or prodution rate.
I guess some guys can't appreciate how the simple things are often the best.

Good to see you're still playing around AC.

Harry, curious to see your solution.
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.
emptyglass

Equipment type: 50L keg boiler.
4" perforated 5 plate column.
Gas fired.

PreviousNext

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)