• Advertisement

AC's Bubble Column

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Re: AC's Bubble Column

Postby acfixer69 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 am

Harry wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:Well I got battered to day. I am quitting the valved plate idea. AC

Sorry to hear that AC.
If I offer a solution, would you be willing to reconsider the Valved tray idea?

Harry, I certainly would be interested in hearing your solution. I was very discouraged with my results last night.
AC
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:53 pm

I made these popup valves several years back. Pretty easy to fabricate. They worked fine. You can fit 10 per tray on a 4" deck, allowing room for the downcomer.

In operation, good turndown capability. Less vapour, less valves open. More vapour, more valves open. Vapour jets horizontally into tray liquid bath, allowing better contact & mixing than the straight-up trajectory of a sieve arrangement.

popup valve.GIF
popup valve.GIF (2.9 KiB) Viewed 8009 times
Popup Valve animation.gif
Popup Valve animation.gif (45.13 KiB) Viewed 8009 times

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby Smaug » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:30 pm

That looks like an elegant solution Harry.
I am wondering what the optimal diameter opening in the plate would be to insure that the valve does not rack in the opening and jam itself into an open position?
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Bigger than the tube (valve body), smaller than the disc. :)

Slainte!
regards Harry
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby acfixer69 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Thank you Harry
I don't see me fabbing up 30-40 of them babies up. I think I am going to take a break from the hard stuff and make a sieve plate set up. Again thank you for your input.
AC
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Well got caught up in the valve plate again. I will be running this in the 3 plate column as a single plate with a deep liquid level. I did one with like this with bubble caps on another thread on MD site. Got decent results with the single deep plate with caps. The upcommers on the SD caps worked fine on mine at the high watt I was putting in (about 4200W). The deep liquid level with valved plate upcommers are not a factor so I hope to be able turn amps down and stabilize column. I brazed a 3/4" coupling in the plate this time to be able the change liquid level easily and make modifications to downcommer as required. I'll do a cleaning run tomorrow then hope my washes are ready Sun or Mon.
Input or ideas are welcome.

AC
Attachments
CIMG1550.JPG
CIMG1549.JPG
CIMG1548.JPG
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby Bonjimmi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 am

Hey AC, Did you do a run on the new valved plates? looking good :8)
Bonjimmi

Postby acfixer69 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Bonjimmi wrote:Hey AC, Did you do a run on the new valved plates? looking good :8)

Hi Bon
Finely got to run it this afternoon and I am pleased. Make two test runs. I set the liquid level on the first run at 3" and it works, but at 3" it floods with amps more then 12 amp input. The 3"cup on the bottom of downcommer is holding the vapor seal but at that low amperage there is bubble action in the plate. It kind of percolates like the old style coffee pot. I think the cup needs more work.
Next I lowered the liquid to 1" and started the run again. This time it ran much smoother. I was able to through 18 amps and plates were rockin nice bubble action. Let it settle a bit and started to draw product. It was running at a quart in 15 mins +_ little. @ 86 ABV -88 ABV for most till late in the run. I did vary the amps for testing, went down to 10 amps still bubbling and plates did not collapse but I didn't take product at the slow amp rate. Bottom line I'll be building more like this one. It does have a place in home distilling.

AC
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby Bonjimmi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:58 am

Sounds like a good test run.... @ 87 ABV. Should make a good rum or whiskey.
Bonjimmi

Postby halfbaked » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:52 pm

acfixer69 wrote: Bottom line I'll be building more like this one. It does have a place in home distilling.
AC

Damn it AC, I have let you rest for way to long on this thread. Catch me up in 40 pics or more on what has happened in the last year and a half and your experience on sieve plates and valved plates and bubble plates and what ever else you have done.
halfbaked

Postby halfbaked » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 pm

AC My Ac is broke. Tell me bout more bout dat still
halfbaked

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 am

Hi Halfbaked
Thank you for your interest. It has been a while since posting on this thread. I've changed the column to modular sections and added 36" Lava packed section for my vodka runs. I went to post some recent pics and realized I only had them stored on my laptop that crapped out last summer. I will take some new pics when I assemble it for a whiskey run next week. Had planned on running it today but my wife took the day off so my plans got changed.

AC
My 4" column build
acfixer69

4" modular bubble plate

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Looking up the column a few posts... i see Harry's pop up valves...

I bet you could make those with new nickel plated 45 caliber rimmed cartridges fairly easy... (500 Smith and Wesson is larger) and let the rim seal on the plate...

May want to pickle the brass cases before use even... and a drop of solder in the primer pocket would make seal the end easy enough...

Didn't look but there are some larger flanged cartridges out there... this just popped into my head when i saw the photo and little video Harry made..

Happy Stillin

FS
FullySilenced

Postby googe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:33 am

Very nice build AC, dunno how I.missed it :shock: . Have you thought about trying the plates without the downcomer?, disabling them.some how and using power input for control of activity?. Lots of work in them.plates!, awesome!.
googe

Postby Mud » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:45 am

What prevents a single valve, or maybe several, from just staying open while the others sit idle?
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

PreviousNext

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)