• Advertisement

harleys Thread...

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

harleys Thread...

Postby harley » Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Some updates:

Now I have solved it so I can have a fully controllable liquid height on my Sieve plates ... :idea:

Fully adjustable from 0 mm to 10 cm liquid height on the plates ... :-o In still dragons modular - removable 8 "column, I should add ...Otherwise, you get remove the sight glass ...
This is what I call FULLY MODULAR .... :!:

Check out the picture and you will understand how I have solved this, if not there will more pictures after the weekend when it is mounted on Sive plates.

Cheers :beer:
Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries since 2012 in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate and offcourse everything in vaporphase is copper.
harley

Equipment type: It is constantly growing and new solutions to come as time goes by, but of course all the equipment Local Manufactured and made of pure copper and naturally adapted for the ATEX rules inside the EU.

Re: harleys Thread...

Postby harley » Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 pm

harley wrote:Image

[quote="harley"]Image

Maybe I should add that I am hard-solder all the copper with plumbing copper solder ...

Falbygdens Bränneri AB a legal commercial distilleries since 2012 in Sweden that burns Swedish vodka on 20pc 8" Sieve plates and whiskey on 3pc 12" bubbelplate and offcourse everything in vaporphase is copper.
harley

Equipment type: It is constantly growing and new solutions to come as time goes by, but of course all the equipment Local Manufactured and made of pure copper and naturally adapted for the ATEX rules inside the EU.

Postby harley » Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Here you can see through the release of an 8 "Sieve plate with about 10% of active surface and with 1,5mm hole in 4mm pattern and 28mm hole for the return pipe were a shall silver solder a sleeve in ss that goes around my 28mm return pipe and with a 4mm stainless steel screw that locks the pipe in its height, and the sleeve will sit on the underside of the sieve plate then I can control the liquid height from 0mm to max 100mm liquid height on the plate for the return lock - a hydraulic lock is already in the air, soldered on the return pipe so you get more active wet plate area to distribute the holes on

It is clearly visible the holes drilled by me and punched in a cnc punch ....and the center hole soldered again and there should also drilled some holes.

These 3pc plates are over from my 8 "20 plates sieve colonn so it is recyclable as we do now ... thats why they issnt 100% .... but soon a shall make some more 8" Sieve plates, then the ALL HOLE shall be punched... :wink:

harley

Postby minime » Wed May 15, 2013 5:11 pm

harley wrote:Check out the picture and you will understand how I have solved this, if not there will more pictures after the weekend when it is mounted on Sive plates.

Good thing you'll bring more pictures Harley. It's definitely over my head. :lol:
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Smaug » Wed May 15, 2013 5:55 pm

minime wrote:
harley wrote:Check out the picture and you will understand how I have solved this, if not there will more pictures after the weekend when it is mounted on Sive plates.

Good thing you'll bring more pictures Harley. It's definitely over my head. :lol:

Can't visualize it yet either.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby harley » Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 am

You are too good my friends :lol: :lol:
It will be interesting to see how the liquid depth of the plate affects the taste, speed, and strength of spirit ... for I have learned by the big manufacturers that taste is sitting in the steam and the more liquid level you have on the plate, the less taste you get for liquid level consist a lot of reflux ....
But this I have to check myself ... :wink:

Unfortunately I had no appropriate size of copper tubing that would fit so I had to take a stainless steel tube and stainless is nothing that I enjoy working in. .. rock hard :evil: ... against kopper which is like butter to work in. .. :wink:

harley

Postby FullySilenced » Thu May 16, 2013 11:21 am

Mini I see now he is making a depth stop for the downcomer... hello a slip ring type of project...

look in the lathe and the tube and cup... its a no brainer when he mentioned the ss issue

FS
FullySilenced

Postby harley » Thu May 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Tonight's work was soon over .... the tapper went off in the stainless steel, a bit harder than what I'm used to thread in. ...

harley

Postby FullySilenced » Thu May 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Harley Drill a hole then solder or weld a nut in place... to easy if the ss is hard or work hardens depending on the heat treat or alloy that way you would also have a couple more threads... not that you will ever wear them out ...
FullySilenced

Postby minime » Thu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm

FullySilenced wrote:Mini I see now he is making a depth stop for the downcomer... hello a slip ring type of project...

look in the lathe and the tube and cup... its a no brainer when he mentioned the ss issue

FS

yes, I see it now :8)
minime

Postby minime » Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 pm

harley wrote:for I have learned by the big manufacturers that taste is sitting in the steam and the more liquid level you have on the plate, the less taste you get for liquid level consist a lot of reflux ....

That's not a bad thing. Modern taste buds are mellower and don't require the flavor and bite the old timers sought. That's why many whiskeys and rums are blended now. They lighten them considerably for the modern market place. Lots of work ahead of you to find what sells and sits on the shelf............
minime

Postby harley » Fri May 17, 2013 7:10 am

You are absolutely right Minime if you want to sell a lot( and cheaply), but I want to sell a little ( and expensive) and eccentric products ... so a should be hunted for max taste of everything ....it is better to be an original than a bad copy ... :idea:

harley

Postby harley » Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 am

Here is how I solved it so I can regulate licuid height of my 8 "sieve plates ... of course it sits on the stainless steel sleeve on the underside of the plate ...
With this solution, I can control the liquid level on the plate from 0mm to about 80mm and a good liquid height is between 10-20mm, 10mm for maximum flavor exchange and 20mm for more% ... and less flavor exchange ..
Now, this stainless steel ring to firmly brazed with pure silver solder so it learns to sit still, though optimally had been making hyllsan in copper as well, so next time be it ...

Hyllsan rotated so you can access the screws from sight glass ... :idea:

Now I sit and thinking how I will solve a simple leveling of the return pipe from the outside of the column, that the big manufacturers have ....

It's actually not that hard .... the problem lies in getting to a vapor-tight seal that is alcohol resistant and heat resistant around the axis that goes through the colonn wall .. :idea:
But this must wait some time...but a think that a have solved it in a simple way .. more of this shall com later.....

harley

Postby harley » Fri May 17, 2013 11:43 am

[quote="harley"]Image

On this large 51cm colonn with 1st giant bubbelcaps with by about 50pc slots that emit steam ...

Compared to my 8 "- 20cm copper plates that having small 17pc bubbelcaps and it sits 16PC slots in each bubbelcaps.
this is 16 * 17 = 272pc slots that emit steam ....

What kind of plate do You think that carry Most flavor ..... :idea:

But here can you all se howe a shall make a full modular-leveling height of returnpipe from outside, only copy this solution... easy done :D
0mm= plate note active
12mm for tasted produkts
22mm for less tast and more %

Remember that taste is in the steam and licuid on the plate contains lot of reflux and this does not promote flavor transfer :idea:

It wants only to find heat and alcohol resistant seal ... since then the rest is easy to manufacture ... :idea:

And this is looking relly good and fill many good funktions and you dont need any uggly pipe and cranes from each plate :D

This solution shall wourk good, both in sieve plates as bubbelcaps .

harley

Postby punkin » Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 pm

That's very similar to the downcomer setup in Gonzolution Harley. In mine though Stubbydrainer has put the clamps at the bottom of the plate with a silicon or ing mounted in a groove in the plate to seal the downcomer to the plate. It also has siliocon o rings recessed into the plates on the outside to seal against the column.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Next

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)