• Advertisement

Zaney's Magic Flute

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Zaney's Magic Flute

Postby Zaney » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:48 am

Howdy from the Upper Left Corner of the States!

Thought I would illustrate my adventures in this wonderful hobby! I have been researching the heck out of everything after being introduced to the HD site and reading everything there is to know on that site and the forum. I discovered this site and can appreciate the laid back attitude here and the eagerness for knowledge. I am definitely still in the novice arena of brewing up mash and distilling. However, I think that I have begun to develop some 'Man Skillz' in my coppersmithing!

I understand that this is not the correct topic forum for tray column discussions but the Mods can move it if they see fit. Either way, I will post my progress pic that started about six months ago. I recently became a Dad again so, that is the main reason it has taken this much time to get to this point. Please pardon the picture quality from my iPhone4 :roll:

4 inch pipe (595x800).jpg

Here is where it all begins... 36 inches of 4"

I used the posted plans from the HD forum for the MKII Flute with 2" single bubble plated weirs. 6 of them! :P
Bubbleplates (800x596).jpg

I pickled the internals and made the site glass contours using crappy drill press with 4 inch hole saw.
assembly (572x800).jpg

All internal components were brazed with hard silver solder and the externals with soft solder.
Zaney

Equipment type: 26 gallon SS electric boiler with potstill head and 4" 6 bubble plate Magic Flute MKII style (FOR SALE)

Re: Zaney's Magic Flute

Postby Zaney » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:57 am

Constructed the slip in Delph with the directional vapor takeoff weirs
shotgun1 (596x800).jpg

Used some 80 grit paper on the contour of the pipe to fine tune the shape of the site glasses.
sizingglasses.JPG

Fitting and spacing the site glasses
assembly2 (800x598).jpg

All components were constructed using hand tools and a crappy HF drill press. So, it is a one of a kind :wink:
Future builds will involve better tools (lathes)
Zaney

Equipment type: 26 gallon SS electric boiler with potstill head and 4" 6 bubble plate Magic Flute MKII style (FOR SALE)

Postby Zaney » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:05 am

I made a 2" shotgun condenser with "machining marks" for fun and to see how hard it would be.
condenser1 (587x800).jpg

Aligning all the sight glasses on the Flute to be soldered on
sightglasses1 (597x800).jpg

Holes drilled out after the sight glasses were attached
sightglassholes (800x536).jpg
Zaney

Postby Zaney » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:11 am

Plates awaiting to be carefully installed and soldered in place
platewelds (597x800).jpg

Plates are in! Crap that wasn't easy but, each plate got a good bead!
platesin.JPG

The bottom weir and J tray took a bit of fussing to get secured to the pipe wall.
bottomtray (800x588).jpg
Zaney

Postby Zaney » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:16 am

Next came dropping in the Delph and attaching the takeoff pipe to the condenser.
takeoff (551x800).jpg

The holes for the valve piping were carefully measured and drilled out
valveholes (800x588).jpg

The valve piping had some machined brass rings to give the soldering surface more meat to attach onto.
valvepipe (578x800).jpg
Zaney

Postby Zaney » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:21 am

Attached the 3-way brass valves to the piping and connect the bypass circuit.
valveson (598x800).jpg

Hooray! The condenser is connected with the water cooling piping!
condenseron (596x800).jpg

Another view of the condenser
condenseron2 (575x800).jpg

That's enough for tonight...
more to come tomorrow night
Cheers!
Zaney
Zaney

Postby manofconstantsorrow » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 am

Very nice!
The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!
"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8
manofconstantsorrow

Equipment type: A work bench full of parts waiting to be assembled

Postby Swede » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:50 am

Well done, that's going to be a fantastic machine to run!!! Once you run it a few times you'll get the feel for how it handles and you'll be putting out fine spirits faster than you can drink them.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby bentstick » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:43 am

Very nice work Zaney,ya got going on! :rkn:
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby mort4 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Welcome from a bit farther over. Youll be making some good stuff with that rig there.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby punkin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Looks great

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby olddog » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:57 pm

I am impressed, that's near identical to my original build. BTW you will find it near impossible to flood with weir downcomers. Congrats on a great build.

OD
Old dog learning new tricks
olddog

Equipment type: 4"plated column mounted on a 50ltr keg

Postby Zaney » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks for the compliments about the build! Especially, from OD! Your build was the inspiration for this column and I am humbled by your comments! I have never attempted to build anything like this before and have learned everything from the previous pioneers of the Magic Flutes!

I have learned that having the right tools for the job can make your life easier! Next time, I will invest in an oxy-acetylene rig to do the hard soldering. (also to buy cool toys too :mg: ) Then, to talk to friends who have the lathes and machining tools in order to learn how to use them. Maybe, find something on Craigslist to pick up later...

Anyway, back to the program!

Close up of the 3 way cooling valve
3wayvalve (597x800).jpg

Completed hard cooling lines and connections
coolingrear (583x800).jpg

Another cooling line pic
cooling1 (596x800).jpg
Zaney

Postby Zaney » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:25 am

Once I finished with the cooling lines I wanted to try and color the polished copper with either heat or acids. I had the acid flux from one of my solders (left bright green oxidation stains) and used it to etch wavy patterns in the column. Also, a splatter pattern on the sight glasses.
However, I did get lucky and drew out some reds and oranges from the copper!
colordone1 (588x800).jpg

Swirl pattern on Delph :wink:
heatcolor1 (581x800).jpg

Got lucky on this attempt with heat coloring
heatcolorbase (598x800).jpg
Zaney

Postby Zaney » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:38 am

At first I thought the J Tray at the bottom was too close to the bottom ferrel so I added an extension onto the lower end. I splattered the acid flux on the coupling and let it do its thing...
The extension is now removed and the lower piece is saved for a future project.
PICS 068.JPG

Here is my first attempt at my Parrot but soon realized that it was too short! :oops: So, I disassembled it and made one that can hold my hydrometer floating in the parrot. Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of the new parrot. I will update when I can get a new pic of it.
1stparrot (585x800).jpg

Well, that is all I have for tonight, picture-wise.

I have already pressure tested the flute with a water/vinegar run. That's when I decided to remove the lower extension. Luckily, I ordered an extra ferrel to solder onto the bottom of the shortened Flute.

I had two packets of Turbo yeast that I was going to mix up to run my sacrificial liquor run through and begin to experiment with the valves.

I am already planning a new project in my head right now... but now I am going to focus on developing my mashing skills.

Thanks for all the research material and pics to draw from in order for me to "learn from the internet"!

Cheers,
Zaney
Zaney

Next

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)