• Advertisement

bubble ball? in,line thumper?

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

bubble ball? in,line thumper?

Postby wood » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:39 am

I have some copper fittings and pipe laying around and decided to make a universal keg adapter for the boka and the pot still, with a single 1-1/2" cap 4" long. I drilled 24 1/8" holes around the bottom. I set the cap over a 3-1/2" long 1" vapour tube mounted in a 2" to 1" reducer. I have a 2"pipe 5" long to braze to the shoulder of the reducer with a tri clamp ferrule. I have another one for the other end. Basically an inline thumper? I would like to know if you think I need a downcommer? If so I have to place it on the outside of the column. I was thinking of a 3/8" tube with a loop for the vapor lock. How high should it be? I am pretty sure there is some formula for the depth of the distillate. Im just trying to use the parts I have. A friend sold me a few buckets of 2",-4" fittings pretty cheap. If this works well I will build a plated column with these sections. :beer: sorry about the lack of pictures.
wood

Equipment type: Small stove top pot still. 2" angled plate modular (for cleaning) with a shotgun condenser .15gallon keg boiler propane fired, 2" pot still same boiler liebig condenser.

Re: bubble ball? in,line thumper?

Postby rockchucker22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 am

You need a downcomer, 3/8 is too small, I would use 1/2" or 3/4". I used 3/4" on my still.
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby wood » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:08 am

Rockchucker22,
Thanks, I have some 1/2" tube I will try it out. I have a free supply of platinum cured silicone tubing also ,might be easier to loop. Just have to figure out how high the drain needs to be :8)
wood

Equipment type: Small stove top pot still. 2" angled plate modular (for cleaning) with a shotgun condenser .15gallon keg boiler propane fired, 2" pot still same boiler liebig condenser.

Postby rockchucker22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:17 am

Maybe you can see my drains here
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby wood » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:24 am

Rockchucker,
I tried but they're private, I would have to set up an account. Thanks though
wood

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)