• Advertisement

separate boiler/columns

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Re: separate boiler/columns

Postby just sayin' » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:05 am

Googe,
Just saw your vid. Helpful to understand what you doing. How is she running? I gots ta know...great work mate. Please don't stop building.
Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby humbledore » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Just saw this thread. Love the creative thinking here googe!
humbledore

Postby googe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Glad the video helped just sayin. Very happy with it!, runs and produces better than any plated column I've had!. Thanks humbledore.
googe

Postby mort4 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Glad to hear it runs as good as it looks, googe. :8)
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby googe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:21 am

Thanks mort :8)
googe

Postby Cedar Grove » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:05 am

Does the side mounted Column work fine without an additional Heat Source?
I know the Boiler is supplying the heat to Vaporize the Alcohol, I just haven't seen Insulation on most of Them.
I'd like to build one for my next Project, but wasn't sure what size tubing to join the Keg boiler to the 4 or 5" Diameter Column.
Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Equipment type: 15.5 Gallon Keg Boiler, 3" Diameter 40" Tall Column, Stainless Shell and Tube Condenser

Postby googe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:47 am

I use propane for heating, has more than enough heat to run it, very similar heat input to a standard plated column with a packed section on top. I use 3/4" vapors lines, seems to work done going to 4" columns.
googe

Postby Cedar Grove » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:06 am

My Thoughts are going toward a 4" or 5" Diameter packed Column. I have some full lengths of heavy wall 5" tubing hanging around.
I saw the Sanitary Flange Kits on Ebay with clamps and All. I'm in the planning Stage right now, not buying parts just yet.

I will use the local Scrapyard to source most of the Sanitary fittings. Would there be any advantage to using larger Sanitary Tubing to connect the Keg to the Column, like 2" or 2.5"? I can find just about anything in the Yard if I look long enough. I did find a 2.5" setup with everything to use as a Potstill Head. Didn't really need it now, but bought it anyway for cheap. I start getting excited at the Scrapyard just seeing all of the stuff available. I did get a 55 Gallon Open head 1.2MM Wall drum with rolling Bands for $69 USD!

My Propane Burner has plenty of BTU output if needed. I think it's rated at 160K BTU, but I didn't make a Wind Shield Yet.

Is anybody using the 10 Banjo type Burners, rather than the Jet type Burner? What is Your Opinion?
Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Equipment type: 15.5 Gallon Keg Boiler, 3" Diameter 40" Tall Column, Stainless Shell and Tube Condenser

Postby googe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:28 am

Don't really know.much about feed line sizes, other than mine runs better with a small feed line than it did on top a boiler and most commercial stills have the same setup.
googe

Postby googe » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:32 am

I put a valve on the second column drain to do some testing of what's returning to the boiler, confusing results!.
took fores then put it in full reflux, sample was 30%, very watery tasting, next to no burn. Opened valve and collected at 88%, being a dickhead, I forgot to pack the second column!, took a sample and it was around 80%!, smelt and tasted very similar to what was coming out the parrot. I don't understand what happened, taking at 88%, I thought what would be coming out the drain would be 12% etc!?.
Attachments
14236136010420.jpg
googe

Postby Danespirit » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:02 am

A really nice setup, Googe..
Now..the drain back to the short riser on your column, does it have some kind of liquidlock?
It would seem to me that the vapours would get a chance to split in both parts of the riser, running through your returnlines until they meet the liquidlock on them?
This would cause some vapours to be locked into the returnline, until they cool off and turn to distilate.
Could you please explain this a bit more detailed?
I like your way to think "out of the box"...always exiting to see your new builds.. :)
Knowledge can be developed,but so can stupidity.
Simple guide to start with:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=8707
Danespirit

Equipment type: 2" all SS modular VM

Postby Mud » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:04 am

googe wrote:I put a valve on the second column drain to do some testing of what's returning to the boiler, confusing results!.
took fores then put it in full reflux, sample was 30%, very watery tasting, next to no burn. Opened valve and collected at 88%, being a dickhead, I forgot to pack the second column!, took a sample and it was around 80%!, smelt and tasted very similar to what was coming out the parrot. I don't understand what happened, taking at 88%, I thought what would be coming out the drain would be 12% etc!?.

Remember its the drain off the second column, not the first. That's the liquid that would be falling onto the third plate if you had a single column.it's much higher ABV halfway up.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby googe » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:21 am

Your totally correct dan, mud!. What you said makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
googe

Postby Mud » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:46 am

To be time/energy efficient you should pump that back to the top of the first column.

I'llSpendYourMoneyFreely
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Harry » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Mud wrote:To be time/energy efficient you should pump that back to the top of the first column.

And then you have the traditional 2-column analyser/rectifier type still.

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

PreviousNext

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)