• Advertisement

Dephlag size for 3" flute

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Dephlag size for 3" flute

Postby ufo8mycow » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:01 pm

I need to build a new dephlag for my 3" 4 plate flute but I am unsure on the size I need. I have searched and come up kinda confused. A few posts talked about length and said that 4" long was good for a 4" column but didn't specify how they were made. I would like to use 4 or 5 1/2" or 3/4" tubes inside a 3" that will tri clamp on top of the main column with another triclamp to the 2" 180* and into my condenser
ufo8mycow

Re: Dephlag size for 3" flute

Postby brandavino » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 pm

4" is plenty. The delph for my 4" bubbler is a bit over 3" high with 4x 7/8" tubes. With a bit of ss scrubber in the tubes it can handle 3kw at around 3L coolant per min. Try to keep the internal volume of coolant to a minimum as the less there is the more responsive the delph
brandavino

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:22 am

I use a packed 3'' column with a 4.125od, 6tall condenser with 12 1/2'' tubes in it. Way overkill, if you want a point of reference. I can't remember how I drive it - 3.5kw maybe.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby myles » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:26 am

There seem to be 2 schools of thought on this issue. One is that the height should be = column diameter, and the other is that it should be = 2x column diameter.

I suspect this may be due to the different coolant configurations. 1 group run the dephlegmator with cold coolant direct from the supply, and the other use warm coolant that is taken from the product condenser output line.

Take your choice!!!
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby ufo8mycow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:02 pm

I think I will go with 3" with 5 1/2" tubes and see how that works out
ufo8mycow

Postby brandavino » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Mycow, im sure it will work well for you.
Myles, I think we tend to over engineer and over design this stuff way too much. I usually do anyway!
For a while I was running separate coolant feeds to the 80mm high dephlag and PC, that worked fine. I then had issues with one of the valves so being too tight to buy another I changed to feeding the dephlag via the PC, that worked fine allso.
The only big improvement came with fiting one of the ebay flow metres with the builtin needle valve. Being able to set for example 1.2 litres per minute repeatable each run and knowing you will get X amount of reflux made a big difference to my bubbler runs anyway. :D
brandavino

Postby myles » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 am

You are probably correct. The problem is that we use the dephlegmator to do 2 things, partial reflux and 100% reflux.

Make it big enough to give you full reflux and it is really bigger than the "ideal" for use during the run. That leads to lack of response and control issues.

Effective coolant control and temperature control of the dephlegmator chamber seems to be the answer. There is also a big difference between a dephlegmator with copper vapour tubes and one with stainless ones. The copper version is more efficient and can be shorter.

I would say to go for 1x column diameter with the copper version and a bit longer with the stainless one, and always monitor the temperature of either the water chamber or the coolant outlet.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby vb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 am

Surface area of your Dephlegmater will depend greatly on material it's made from
1:1 high th to width will work with copper as long as you have appropriately sized through tube
5x1/2 has been suggested and should work well
for stainless I would double the length. Heat coefficients aren't quite right at double, but it's still workable
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)