• Advertisement

Alright, I guess I'll build it....4" bubble plate

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Re: Alright, I guess I'll build it....4" bubble plate

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Bobtuse wrote:Alright, well this is getting interesting. Couple points seem to be coming out of this,

1. Dephlegmator must be capable of 100% reflux. This was always a given, but the way to go about that seems to be debatable
2. More water volume around the vapor tubes seems to slow down the responsiveness of the dephlegmator to adjustments
3. Brantoken, you seem to be suggesting that that extra water volume gives one more range of adjustment? Which may perhaps make up for the decreased responsiveness?
4. Is quick response to adjustments really necessary or does it make it more fiddley? Note that this will be run on manual control at least at first, not automated.

I can still bump up the tube size easy enough, was just hoping I could take the easy way out. Seems like the shortcut is not worth it.

While we are basically on the topic of cooling, It seems to me that a three way valve is necessary to be able to adjust the temp of the cooling water entering the reflux condenser by taking the used product condenser water and combining it with a varied amount of (presumably) cooler water from the mains (or another reservoir) so given that is the cooling properly plumbed with the mains split, one branch going to product condenser in, the other branch going to the 3 way valve to be combined with the product condenser output and going into the reflux condenser input? Two gate valves can achieve the same result. Any preference? Is it cost or ease/cleanliness of install?

BoB

Seems to me you want to run with what you have and I say go with it it will work. But later when you make 5 or 6 runs with it and post a question like why is my reflux condenser so hard to regulate I will just shut up and let you figure it out or let another builder try to help you. That is my best advise now. As for the 3 way its not needed but your not really listening anyway.
Good luck these are a treat to run

AC
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Postby googe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:39 am

Yeah, small coolent volume, I've tried, 5x3/4" 120 long, 5x3/4" 100mm long, latest is 4x1" 80mm long and is the most responsive. It's all about response times from when you fiddle with the RC valve to the time it takes to see something happen at the output, it can be torture with a poorly designed deflag.
googe

Postby brandavino » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:03 am

4x1" 80mm long

With that larger tube is 100% of the vapor knocked down in the bare tube or is some additional scrubby etc. required to help push the vapor out to the walls to be condensed?
brandavino

Postby googe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:38 am

100% reflux as is.
googe

Postby Bobtuse » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:47 am

Bobtuse wrote:I can still bump up the tube size easy enough, was just hoping I could take the easy way out. Seems like the shortcut is not worth it.
Actually AC, I have been listening to what you have to offer. Guess its not coming out in the words, but Im just trying to get a handle on the concepts behind whats happening as much as just "How do I do this" Your hands on experience is valuable, especially since you seem to have run both configurations.

BoB
Honey, "check to see if my nuts are still there, I can't feel my nuts!"
Bobtuse

Equipment type: 15.5 Gal modified SS keg boiler
Propane
Pot head
48"packed 2" copper VM column

Postby Bob Loblaw » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:25 am

I have a question on the number of tubes in the Dephlag - why 5? Mocking it up, it looks like one could fit 7 x 3/4" on a 4 inch plate. Would more tubes help or hurt responsiveness?

Or maybe my mockup is flawed. Entirely possible :)
Bob Loblaw

Postby acfixer69 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:50 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:I have a question on the number of tubes in the Dephlag - why 5? Mocking it up, it looks like one could fit 7 x 3/4" on a 4 inch plate. Would more tubes help or hurt responsiveness?

Or maybe my mockup is flawed. Entirely possible :)

I used 6 tubes 7/8 OD X 5" lg and run great
download/file.php?id=4870
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Postby Bobtuse » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:03 pm

I went with five tubes simply because Still Dragon had 4" plates punched with 5 holes at 1/2" for the bubble plates. Seemed easy way enough to skip a step. Even if I have to drill the holes bigger was worth the $9 IMO.

(edit: D'oh! 6 holes....5 bubble caps plus downcomer.) :oops:
Bobtuse

Propane
Pot head

Postby Bob Loblaw » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Bobtuse wrote:I went with five tubes simply because Still Dragon had 4" plates punched with 5 holes at 1/2" for the bubble plates. Seemed easy way enough to skip a step. Even if I have to drill the holes bigger was worth the $9 IMO.

(edit: D'oh! 6 holes....5 bubble caps plus downcomer.) :oops:

Well that makes sense, but aren't those SD plates slightly larger than 4"? I haven't held one in my hands - but from looking at them online it seems like they would have to be in order to fit between the sanitary fittings. I have the gaskets and it looks like they work this way. Also based on this picture

Would love confirmation on this before I order more stuff!
Bob Loblaw

Postby Bob Loblaw » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:38 pm

acfixer69 wrote:I used 6 tubes 7/8 OD X 5" lg and run great
download/file.php?id=4870

Thanks AC. I think I will go that way as well. I have 36" of 3/4 sitting in my garage left over from my last build. Should work perfect.
Bob Loblaw

Postby Bobtuse » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Yes Bob, they are larger than 4". Couple minutes with a belt sander took them down easy enough.

BoB
Bobtuse

Propane
Pot head

Previous

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)