• Advertisement

Separate boiler discussions

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Separate boiler discussions

Postby Cedar Grove » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:51 am

I'm off to the Scrapyard now. I'll see what They have available for cheap. I hate
spending good Money on Sanitary Fittings when I can buy Them for $1 per Pound.
I think I spent something like $5 on the 2.5" potstill head Piece. They had a 2.5" to 6" concical Reducer that I grabbed for Free. I'm not sure what it'll be used for. The mKeg I have has a star pattern of Ridges on top that makes it hard to put a larger Flange.
Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Equipment type: 15.5 Gallon Keg Boiler, 3" Diameter 40" Tall Column, Stainless Shell and Tube Condenser

Re: separate boiler/columns

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:51 am

Take a look at the bottom of the keg Cedar. You may be able to turn it over if it is smooth and use the original opening for dumping out the leftovers from a run.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Cedar Grove » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:23 am

Rebel, that is a good idea turning it over. My only Concern is burning the seal or Valve on the Bottom. I'm using Propane, and can get hot spots during initial heating. I'm not sure what valve would take the Flame Temperatures. Maybe a Doughnut shaped Burner would work?

A side Question, how Tall should a 5" Diameter Column be if partially packed with Stainless Wool or Raschig Rings? Does it need to be 20X the Diameter if I run a Reflux Condenser on the Top?
A side Mounted Column would definitely be better for Height, and easier to store if I put a Sanitary Flange half way up for easy breakdown. I'm not going to use the Keg boiler forever, just until I find a better Vessel. Given the Stuff that comes in at the Scrap yard, plenty of nice Boilers could be purshased for Cheap. I just saw one with a 6" Flange that must have been 200 Gallons.
Too big for Home Use!!!

Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Equipment type: 15.5 Gallon Keg Boiler, 3" Diameter 40" Tall Column, Stainless Shell and Tube Condenser

Postby punkin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Lets keep Googes thread on track here. This build deserves it.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Re: Separate boiler discussions

Postby Cedar Grove » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:21 am

Sorry Punkin, did not mean to sidetrack his Build.
The Copper Work is impressive.

Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Postby punkin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:27 pm

All Good Cedar.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Cedar Grove » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:04 am

Any Thoughts on sizing for the Tubing size from the Boiler to the side Column. If I go with 5" on the side Column, should I go with 2" since the Keg is 2" or neck it down to 1.5". I saw the Holstein Stills reduce the Diameter of the Vapor Feed a substantial amount, but didn't see any hard numbers.

I'd like to build the side Column and later upgrade the Boiler. I do have a 55 gallon Drum, but think it's way to big.
I'm thinking of a packed 5" daimeter Column with the Reflux Condenser on the Top. I'd appreciate any Thoughts on sizing and height for making Flavored Spirits? I'm trying to imitate the Holstein Design, but in Stainless with Sacrificial copper Screen for DMS removal.
Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)