• Advertisement

Pro-caps? Worth their weight?

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Re: Pro-caps? Worth their weight?

Postby punkin » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Well some of the liquid would go down the nearest dc (being the cap if it's a procap) and some would spread out on the plate and go down other dc's.

The standard caps (depending on plate size have more than one DC) some of the liquid comes from the far side of the plate and some comes straight from the caps next to the DC's.

So not quite as cut and dried as you make it sound, although what you are saying is in essence true as i understand it. :)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Harry » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Well I didn't invent tray hydraulics. But I can say that every drop of liquid must enter the deck on one side and every drop leaves the deck on the opposite far side. In between entering and leaving, that liquid has to run the gauntlet of the gas dispersers (injectors) mounted between the enter/exit points.
Best intro to distilling design...
http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/distil/distildes.htm

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:34 pm

I can guarantee that the procaps work a charm in my Crystal Dragon ACE...

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Smaug » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Harry can you discuss the flavor attributes and mechenics of a typical plated system with reguard to the ester formulation compared to say the mechenics of simple pot stilling please?
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Harry » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:50 pm

It's very simple. Potstills contact ethanol/heat/acids to make esters in one place...the boiler.
Trayed stills contact exactly the same, but at every tray. A trayed column is essentially a stack of many pot boilers. Multiple distillations in one pass. Like a series of thumpers.

EDIT: By the way, the Ming link I was meaning above (tray liquid) is here...
http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/distil/distilint.htm

Slainte!
regards Harry

Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.

Postby Smaug » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:17 pm

I wasn't quite expexting that generic answer.

There is something counter intuitive here with regard what is and is not capable of making a full flavored, smooth product.
I am not refering to what is theoretically optimal.
I am talking about running say for instance,,,, a single run, two plated system (with ProCaps) with a 10 % kettle charge vs a strip (10%) and spirit run with a simple pot still.
Smaug

Postby Harry » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:36 pm

"generic answer" it may seem. Nonetheless them's the facts. Simply put, the more contact, then the more esters are created. More esters = more flavours.
How you arrive at that point is up to you...your choice of equipment, design choices, costs etc etc ad infinitum.

But maximum esterification begets full flavoured brown products. That's bottom line. Most hobbyists of distillers who've been around in the game a while will relate readily to the differences / comparisons in products from the various still / distillation types and regimen. WMD's (weapons of mass distillation) must fit the intended outcome.

Slainte!
regards Harry

Harry

Postby Smaug » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:40 am

Well regardless,,,,
SD ProCaps come with a 30 day, unconditional money back, satisfaction guarantee.
Smaug

Postby heartcut » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:35 am

You can say that again.
heartcut

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.

Frank Zappa
heartcut

Equipment type: 2 plate 4" bubble plate with (optional) 32" x 4" lava rock add-on, 2.5" copper packed column with coiled dephlegmater, 24" liebeg, keg boiler, propane.

Postby Smaug » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Mobil phone hicups
Smaug

Postby YHB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 am

I am currently building a 2.1/2” column with my version of single pro-cap bubblers.

Having read the comments with regard to contact time I am thinking about adding a weir to the bubbler that would guarantee that all the distillate passed all the slots.

Harry points out the benefits of contact time for flavored drinks but are there any negative issues for neutral / vodka types?
Attachments
bubble_001.jpg
Toodlepip
Brian

Why buy something you don't want,
When you can make something you do
YHB

Equipment type: 2" LM / Pot / Proportional VM splitter with homemade needle valve and removable slant plates on 2.5 kW wooden boiler

Previous

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)