• Advertisement

6" column build, plate seperation

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

6" column build, plate seperation

Postby paperman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Building a new 6" column with 5 plates. Where can I find the optimum (if there is one) plate separation. I was aiming for 6" but have the material to increase that if needed.
paperman

Re: 6" column build, plate seperation

Postby punkin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:08 pm

So long as it's high enough to not get droplet entrainment from the cap action it's all good as far as i can tell. Our Crystal Dragons only have just over 4" between plates in all the sizes except the baby.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby paperman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks Punkin, I was in the same thought as you but 6" just made the column look short. I picked up 6' of 6" thinking I needed to space out the plates more than my 4" but after more thought I was more inclined to stay with 6". Might just be able to squeeze out 2 with this stick. Good times for sure.
paperman

Postby Mud » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:06 pm

What size kettle are you using?
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby paperman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:49 pm

That sir is a question yet to be answered. I was eyeballing a stainless 55 gallon drum I have kicking around, or I also have a 30" diameter chunk of SS sch. 10 pipe about 4' long. The barrel is pretty thin to weld to but the pipe is pretty heavy and will need ends added along with all the port. I would love to spin or pound out a nice copper dome for the pipe and have it sticking out of the insulating jacket on the pipe. I think the spinning is beyond me but maybe I can pound it out. To be continued. :D
paperman

Postby whiskeywarrior » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:04 am

It all really depends on your bath depth. If you got a 3" bath depth a 4" plate separation won't do.
whiskeywarrior

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)