• Advertisement

single bubble cap

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

single bubble cap

Postby project » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:36 am

I know that single bubble caps have been done and im thinking about doing another 4" column and have several large copper domes that would make great bubble caps. 2.5" bubble cap on a 4" plate doesnt leave alot of room for downcomers so Im thinking about using 2 or 3 downcomers . Riser under the bubble cap will be 1.5" . Does anyone see any issues before I start soldering??
Attachments
2.5 bubble cap assembly (2).jpg
project

Re: single bubble cap

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:16 am

Don't imagine any problems but I don't see any benefit either. A greater number of narrower caps gets you more circumference of cap per plate area, and more potential intermingling of vapour and reflux, which in turn gets you more of what you're trying to achieve per unit height of column. Although not so good for the pipe smoking pith helmet aficionado....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby project » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:43 am

I know there is more surface area with multiple caps than a single but I'm just wanting to try something different. I've built several multi cap columns and a sieve plate one and just wanted to try something different.
project

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:02 am

zedzedtop wrote:Although not so good for the pipe smoking pith helmet aficionado....

I haven't smoked a pipe for years, and I almost never pithed my helmet!
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby googe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:19 am

it won't flood with that many drains, but it will take up valuable plate area, a single 3/4" is usually suffice unless you have a ton of power and plates to handle it.
googe

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:39 pm

I have this one figured out too Googe In a 4" column no room for a 3/4" downcomer to you use 3/8" ones or it's really tight 1/2" ones... 4" is tight not much play room :D

I have one drawn up similar to this in a cad program...
FullySilenced

Postby project » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 pm

googe wrote:it won't flood with that many drains, but it will take up valuable plate area, a single 3/4" is usually suffice unless you have a ton of power and plates to handle it.

Not enough room for a 3/4 so I was thinking multiple 1/2". I decided to stick with the typical plate config on this one. I'll finish this one and get started on a single cap setup and test the differences.
project

Postby vb » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:07 pm

theres no reason the cap needs to be centered. off set it to make room for a single larger downcomer.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Mud » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:12 pm

vb wrote:theres no reason the cap needs to be centered. off set it to make room for a single larger downcomer.

Hey! It's vb. We miss you, buddy.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Tracker » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:11 am

It's a wonder he has returned at all, what with all the stuff you guys have been saying about him.
Don't worry though vb, I had your back.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby googe » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:50 am

project wrote:
googe wrote:it won't flood with that many drains, but it will take up valuable plate area, a single 3/4" is usually suffice unless you have a ton of power and plates to handle it.

Not enough room for a 3/4 so I was thinking multiple 1/2". I decided to stick with the typical plate config on this one. I'll finish this one and get started on a single cap setup and test the differences.

Is there a reason for a big cap?. Most aim for maximum plate area.
googe

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:27 am

Maximum cap circumference per plate area is certainly an ideal all else being equal. Most peeps who try single large caps are looking for a simpler build and/or just seeing if it will work. It certainly works.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby googe » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:00 am

Does big cap take valuable plate area though?.
googe

Postby vb » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:30 pm

1 big cap, multiple little caps, no difference. its all about cap to plate to fluid depth ratios.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby googe » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 pm

Wouldn't you have more refinement with multi caps v big single cap due to fluid around the multi caps vb?.
googe

Next

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)