• Advertisement

New Equipment Development

Any sort that runs continuous. Examples are beer stripping stills that have a continuously, vodka stills fed from a beer stripper or any sort of spirit doubler, meaning continuously fed pot still.

Re: New Equipment Development

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:16 pm

It was, and I haven't ... yet, anyway.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:56 pm

I was CC'ed on Harry's reply to Bob. He's OK folks, some technical difficulties and health issues slowing him up.

VeryGoodNewsPunkin

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Good news indeed! The joint just wouldn't be the same without him. :)
Cap'n Canuck

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi Guys
Any you guys heard how Harry's keeping lately. Hope he is well. The place is not the same in his abcense.
regards
Patch
thepatchworkdoll

Equipment type: 1500 x 54 coppper column packed with SPP, VM Proportional Splitting Head on 50 ltr keg. 4 plate 4" Bubble Cap on 50 ltr keg. 2" Standard Pot Still on 50 ltr keg.

Postby Harry » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi guys.

I'm sorry to say that the continuous still home appliance project is dead in the water and has now been abandoned. To put it bluntly... Yes it's quite do-able. But no, it is not at all practical.

The regulating organizations involved will never allow such a home appliance machine.

There's absolutely NO WAY a responsible Government, or licensing body, or safety organization, will allow a home appliance continuous still to be sold "off-the-shelf" as a consumer item. The reason for that stance is very plain... protection of the public from itself.

Just one of the reasons that were given to me...

Binge drinking has seen A worldwide surge, particularly in places like China and South Korea, and especially among breeding age females (google recent news bulletins).

Everyone knows that alcohol ingestion during the 1st trimester of pregnancy is the major cause of Foetal Alcohol Syndrome and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD, ADD, ADHD, ASPERGERS and others).

Therefore, a home appliance type instrument that produces alcohol continuously and very cheaply, just puts the means for temptations into a home environment. Not quite the same thing as a toaster or skillet.

I admit I never considered such possibities, nor the consequences. Even though I'm well aware of FAS. If I had (considered it), I would not have even started the project! I must admit I got carried away with the "can be done" idea. However, because a thing CAN be done, it doesn't necessarily follow that it SHOULD be done.

I thank all those who supported the project and initial development. At lease we now know that there are limits to the hobby of home distilling.

On a personal note...
As this project was to be my last in home distilling development, there's
really no point to my further participation. I'm sure the Alcohol hobby will continue
on fine without me.

Therefore I am retiring to concentrate on family matters, health and watching my grandchildren
grow & prosper.

I have made many friends (and a few ermmm... "sparring partners" ;) ) during my time in
this hobby. It's a long way advanced now from the scene I came in to some 20-odd years ago.

All in all it's been a fantastic ride.

Thank you very much for the pleasure, and I wish everyone the very best for the future.

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby punkin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:40 pm

I hope you drop in and say hi from time to time Harry. It's been a fun ride and it's been great learning together.

Best of luck in your future, how ever you spend it.

Garry

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Harry, you were the first person I met in the "new" internet wave of distilling information, and every time I touch a still, I probably do something that I learned from you, so I will miss you greatly, but I do understand your need to move on. I would, however, like to confer upon you a small and personal honor.

From my avatar, you can probably tell I'm a big fan of the old comic strip Pogo. Walt Kelly, who drew and wrote Pogo, had a little gimmick to pay respect to the good people he had known. Since the location of the strip was the Okefenokee Swamp, the characters were frequently in boats (scows, really) which were named after the people Walt respected.

I don't have a suitable boat, but the startup distillery I'm consulting to allows me to name the stills we build (something the TTB actually requires), and be it known the next still in the Cultus Bay Distillery will be named The Honorable Harry Jackson. I'll make sure it's a good still.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby just sayin' » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Harry,
With recent brushes with meeting our maker in common, I understand you decision. A central life focus on booze and the crafting of the same may not be the wisest use of the days we have been granted, that being said, Harry, you are an inspiration to thousands, more likely tens of thousands of us around this planet we share. I admire your desire to put your family first, but I plead with you not to leave those of us in your extended stilling' family orphans.
You are one of the tiny exclusive pantheon of distilling gurus who have blazed the trail and lighted the way!
Please take all the time due your family, rest and regain your strength, but please do not abandon those of us who greatly value your wisdom.
As when you were gravely ill, you will remain in my prayers.
If we never hear from you again, we remain in your debt!
Just Sayin'
WV, USA
just sayin'

Postby manu de hanoi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:44 am

Harry, I totally understand about the moral dilemma, and that's why i'm focussing my research on essential oils and water distillation
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:51 am

Hi Harry
Really sorry to hear that yopu are standing down. I fully appreciate your reasons and concur that there are more important things in life than stilling. I wish you all the best and do sincerely hope that your health improves to give you the energy to have fun with your family. I do hope you pop in from time to time just to keep us old cogjers in check. All the best.
Patch
thepatchworkdoll

Equipment type: 1500 x 54 coppper column packed with SPP, VM Proportional Splitting Head on 50 ltr keg. 4 plate 4" Bubble Cap on 50 ltr keg. 2" Standard Pot Still on 50 ltr keg.

Postby Tracker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:01 am

Harry, you have my respect.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Azframer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:54 am

Focus on what matters most, family and those grand kids. I would like to see you drop in from time to time myself.
Best to you and your family
Rick
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Wishing you only the best...

Hoping you won't be a stranger..

FS
FullySilenced

Postby The Baker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:16 am

All the best, Harry.

If I had the time and the money and the family support and the expertise in distilling and metalworking I would offer to continue the project. Clandestinely...?

Even just as a one-off, which would perhaps avoid a lot of the bureaucratic, er, interest...

Unfortunately....

Regards,
Geoff

(The Baker)
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby RandyMarshCT » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:57 am

Harry,
I am glad you are well. I want to offer you my utmost thanks for all the help you have provided everyone. I hope you see this message, as I am very late to the party. I haven't been on for quite a while as life has been very busy. Your leave is very sad news for myself and the community, but health and family are the most important and I respect your decision.

However... I must add my voice to the chorus of folks begging you to occasionally drop by, if possible. Your help and insight are invaluable and cherished. You are one of the foremost contributors to this hobby worldwide, and I am honored to have learned from you and been the recipient of your helpful wisdom.

All the best to you!
The same RandyMarshCT from AD, HD, ADI forums, ARC-forum, Moderndistiller, & Brewhaus.

Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
RandyMarshCT

Equipment type: .
26 Gallon Boiler

3" potstill w/ liebig

4" 4-plate Flute (perf)

3" Offset Crossflow VM/LM Hybrid (under construction)

PreviousNext

Return to Continuous Stills