• Advertisement

Slattens Continuos Column

Any sort that runs continuous. Examples are beer stripping stills that have a continuously, vodka stills fed from a beer stripper or any sort of spirit doubler, meaning continuously fed pot still.

Re: Slattens Continuos Column

Postby slatten » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 pm

No heads go over with the ethanol into the colon 2 and where I have a Thors Hammer at the top where heads concentrate and I empty it manually once a day about 0.1liter
slatten

Postby airhill » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks Slatten

Someone downsized the pic so the fine detail is really hard to see :)
In the universe there are no absolutes; only degrees of uncertainty.
airhill

Equipment type: Baby CM
Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby slatten » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:29 pm

You are welcome, good that anyone is interested
slatten

Postby airhill » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:45 pm

With 167 views I think the're interested :roflmao:
airhill

Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby slatten » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Yes, it is clear people are interested, I know, after much reading that we at the amateur level is only four or five who managed to do this, and can I now just combine fermented reactor with this machine
it becomes of course a successful solution.
slatten

Postby Mud » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:11 pm

airhill wrote:Someone downsized the pic so the fine detail is really hard to see :)

oh, stop. :roll: <begins to play very small violin>
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby rkr » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:22 am

Well, IMO the problem with continuous stills are those many controls required and the complexity of setting one up. As slatten has shown a two column set up can be made to work even in a hobby scale, but to make it automated one needs three separate controls + feed system. If we add to that the fact that slightly different insertion of thermoprobe may throw off the showings by over 1C it means that we need to individually set up each of those controls once the operating temperature is reached (which is a good idea anyway). After that it's childs play and can go on as long as needed - which is exactly why they are used for CONTINUOUS operation commercially. Personally I only process up to 25 liters at time so I have no use for the added complexity of continuous setups. With batch distillation you get similar results with only one control system and less complex construction (i.e. no feed system). Another problem I faced in my continuous experiments was the power calculations for the column two that was robbing power from boiler one. If you don't know the power it will be difficult to size the column and condensers.

Slainte, Riku
"Designing and building automatic stills" -> http://www.amphora-society.com
rkr

Equipment type: You name it, I've built it. Well, almost all of them.

Postby airhill » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:46 am

Mud wrote:
airhill wrote:Someone downsized the pic so the fine detail is really hard to see :)

oh, stop. :roll: <begins to play very small violin>

Thank you 20/20 but i'm sure a small banjo will suffice :roflmao: :beer:
airhill

Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby slatten » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:21 am

Hey Riku.
Yes as you say, it takes a little time to set up a system. But you say you have to have three regulating systems? I have just two simple systems, one for controlling input and one E-arc in the colon one, that's all.
slatten

Postby rkr » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:30 pm

Slatten,

If you want truly continuous then you also need to automate heads removal so it will be three controls. Of course you can use two controls up to certain amount of mash but then you are not talking about automated continuous system. Anyway, if you build it properly and get like 2 liters / hour neutral stuff you are quickly drifting away from hobby scale distillation. Still, good build and well done with all your experiments.

Slainte, Riku
rkr

Postby slatten » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Hey Riku
Yes you are right the machine is to big, as soon as the test in 7 days run is ready,
I will start building a new one that will be ten times smaller and fit the fermenter better.
And the removal off of heads should have a solenoid valve.
So the maskin will be on sale son. :oops:
slatten

Postby airhill » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:38 pm

Slatten

Isn't there a point where downsizing will lead to other problems ie the smaller you go the more accurate your controls will have to be and even small changes eg ambient could effect performance?
Don't know just asking? :)
airhill

Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby rkr » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 pm

airhill wrote:Slatten

Isn't there a point where downsizing will lead to other problems ie the smaller you go the more accurate your controls will have to be and even small changes eg ambient could effect performance?
Don't know just asking? :)

Well, that is true - especially when using traditional control techniques. Once you go below 6mm ID the surface tension starts blocking pipes and preventing liquid flow. To counter that, one could move from LM to VM as that would allow smaller flow with more precision. In addition to that, aircooling would be good and with low power even spiral type condensers from copper pipe work well.

Slainte, Riku
rkr

Postby slatten » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:51 am

Riku

Yes you may be right that there is a problem with a downscaling, but it is what drives me is building,
if I just want to get Spirit, I had built a single LM or VM, but in fact I buy most of my spirit still.
But a machine that takes 5 liters of mash per day would probably be no problem to build.
slatten

Postby slatten » Thu May 13, 2010 12:57 am

Have been doing an Arduino and Pt100 sensors a few months now. The last few days,
I received help with the code and got it workin, now I read 2 sensors with 00.02C precition
and it is enough for me. With one sensor I control the feed pump of mash and the second a solenoid valve.
I Can change the set point during operation from the keyboard. Did a test today and everything worked as it should.
Will now build more code next step is PWM control to the electric heater. Taking one step at a time, but it looks like a full automation of my machine may not to be utopia. Right now the connection is in a lab card to later be electronic cards
for right now it looks like a man in intensive care.
Attachments
utskriftpt100.png
Print off temp
utskriftpt100.png (173.95 KiB) Viewed 8752 times
arduinopt100.png
arduinopt100.png (206.21 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
slatten

PreviousNext

Return to Continuous Stills