• Advertisement

spinning band distillation

Any sort that runs continuous. Examples are beer stripping stills that have a continuously, vodka stills fed from a beer stripper or any sort of spirit doubler, meaning continuously fed pot still.

spinning band distillation

Postby hard times » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Anybody know if this is has been used in the hobby?
Interesting.
I've not seen any info on the site.
Also some full auto and vacuum systems

http://www.fractional-distillation.com/ ... ation.html
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Re: spinning band distillation

Postby pintoshine » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Good find. I don't know of anyone even a a professional level using that.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:32 am

So the spinning screw must be constantly pushing the liquid down and scrubbing it against the walls as the vapor moves up the column... thin film it says...heat breaks out the ethanol and the water goes down? is that the principal? Is it all in a vacuum? Gonna go back and reread it and then see if i can find anything else on it when i have time...200 plates hmmm wonder if it would be neutral hahaha
FullySilenced

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 am

Low hold up seems to be the selling point compared to packed columns, if I am reading this correctly.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby dad300 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 pm

There is a company in Dayton, Ohio, CHEMINEER...they have made helix mixers since the 70's. Look at their Kenics static mixers and heat exchangers. I did advertising for them in the 80's. Every once in a while a Kenics static mixer comes up on ebay...they cost a fortune. ~$2,000 usd for a used 2"-4" x 36" blade, no column.

They give away a lot of R&D on the web site. http://www.chemineer.com/

The idea of the rotating helix isn't that it scrapes the column wall. It throws the vapor out to the column wall, slowing it and the smashing any liquid or solids. Kind of like an impact grain grinder. Some times the blades have counter twisted vanes, one clockwise and one section counter clockwise.

Secondly, it creates a dynamic of a serpentine path for the vapor, make a 2" x 40" column simulate a 1" x 400" column.

It certainly eliminates channeling.
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby hard times » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:20 pm

They seem to be centrifugal or impact separators.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 pm

priced from 12,500 to 140 k per
FullySilenced

Postby kiwi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Saw some spinning band units in Germany for making low alcohol beer. Not in detail though.

Also I've heard of it being used in NZ for making brandies from sav blanc, not sure if anyone has it in operation. it was going to be used with vac to try and preserve the aromatics of the raw wine better
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 pm

the website said 200 plates at atmospheric pressuse so no vacuum best i can tell .. cool concept though...

i think i could build something similar.......... if i had to......

sorry been drinkin 105 proof to may hours and i am tired ...
FullySilenced

Postby Manderson » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:27 am

FullySilenced wrote:the website said 200 plates at atmospheric pressuse so no vacuum best i can tell .. cool concept though...

i think i could build something similar.......... if i had to......

sorry been drinkin 105 proof to may hours and i am tired ...

I'm newly approved here and this thread in particular has had me hooked for quite a while - I've seen my old Prof. years ago, running a lab scale one of these. Immediate reaction was that there must be a simpler way than that, but provided you're separating difficult mixtures, they do work well. He showed us two smeared-together peaks on a GLC chart (The liquids were branched hydrocarbons I think), and he separated the two compounds without a problem.
The demo was very slow though in terms of throughput.

I'd doubt that the technology could compete at all on throughput with most of the stills which AD-ers have, but underneath the problems of throughput, and the mechanics of it all is some interesting knowledge.

The Prof. by the way was known as "Freebase" because he used to demonstrate vapour pressure and Dew Point effects along the same lines as that in Harry's recent video here:- http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9482
Manderson
:8)
Manderson

Return to Continuous Stills