• Advertisement

Propylene Glycol Reboiler Idea

Any sort that runs continuous. Examples are beer stripping stills that have a continuously, vodka stills fed from a beer stripper or any sort of spirit doubler, meaning continuously fed pot still.

Propylene Glycol Reboiler Idea

Postby JaCh » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:04 pm

After much deliberation about how I could make a continuous steam supply for a continuous still I came up with a possible alternative. :idea:

glycol_reboiler_1.jpg

The concept is that you can heat the "bottoms" of the column to create the vapor required for column distillation. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboiler)
By using a jacketed heating method, none of the heating parts or connections have to be food grade and fouling is reduced.
Glycol will not boil under the temperatures used so the heating system is not under pressure.
Rather than using a tap I would probably just have an overflow system, the sight glass is needed to gauge feed rate of wash.
(Level down = Heat down OR Feed Rate up)
I thought the ss threaded rod would be a good idea to provide nucleation sites for boiling, but may be unnecessary.
The heating would be controlled by altering the temperature of the circulating Glycol.
glycol_reboiler_2.jpg

The system would be made to be as small and compact as possible whilst providing enough power for the column.
Any thoughts/improvements? :D

Thanks for reading,
JaCh
JaCh

Re: Propylene Glycol Reboiler Idea

Postby torque » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:05 pm

That looks good and interesting to me, and I'm definitely curious to hear your experience if you try it.
torque

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:55 pm

I'd sure like to hear how you're going to prevent a lot of your ethanol from draining out that tap. If the boiling point o the waste is isn't really close to 100C, you'll be discarding a lot of ethanol, it would seem.
On the other hand, if the boiling point of the waste is close to 100C, then you'll have to add wash very slowly to keep that boiling point high, and then the vapor would be mostly water.

Of course, it's always possible I'm missing something.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:36 pm

What are you planning for the bits above what you've drawn? If it's like a common continuous rig, I'm thinking that you won't be able to deliver enough power with that glycol leibig thinger.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby JaCh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:50 am

I haven't been active for a while as I have been very busy recently. In answer to your questions the boiling point was intended to be kept as close to 100 as possible. It would be interesting to try this idea but my fabrication skills are probably not up to it and I have therefore decided to use a band heater instead.
My main focus at the moment is designing a smooth flow mechanical syringe pump. I will make a thread for it when I have something physical to show for it. :)
JaCh

Postby JaCh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:I'd sure like to hear how you're going to prevent a lot of your ethanol from draining out that tap. If the boiling point o the waste is isn't really close to 100C, you'll be discarding a lot of ethanol, it would seem.
On the other hand, if the boiling point of the waste is close to 100C, then you'll have to add wash very slowly to keep that boiling point high, and then the vapor would be mostly water.

Of course, it's always possible I'm missing something.

After re reading I realized I wasn't clear that the wash would be added further up the column, the left hand side is just for watching levels. :)
JaCh

Return to Continuous Stills