• Advertisement

Scotch Whisky New Make

This is a forum to discuss the organoleptic qualities of the spirits we produce.

Re: Scotch Whisky New Make

Postby zedzedtop » Tue May 31, 2016 1:24 am

I've never had any problems with super yeasty strip charge, even with electric elements. Most scotch distilleries pump the whole shebang into to beer stills. Some choose not to. Plenty of my favourites do though. Even for the ones that do leave a chunk of trub behind though, the beer is very cloudy/murky with suspended yeast. The standard time from pitch to filling the beer still is two and a half days. This isn't a stingy, cheap, Scots thing (at least in a contemporary sense). It's just what makes the best spirit for them. If letting things settle out and clarify over a few weeks made the product better for them in any way, at least some of them would be doing it, and none are. There are a few that leave things for up to four days, but that is an exception. I can't imagine that the beers are all that clear at four days.

Good to know the bamboo can handle spent wash. Do you chill it at all before the application? The stuff for me is a potent weedkiller, hot at least. Been meaning to plant some bamboo for future structural purposes. Had a bad experience with some 'standard' bambo years ago at a place I lived at. Spent some time with a chainsaw 3' into the ground digging a trench to remove it. Never got it all. Any pointers on larger diameter, less invasive types?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: Scotch Whisky New Make

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue May 31, 2016 12:39 pm

zedzedtop wrote:Good to know the bamboo can handle spent wash. Do you chill it at all before the application? The stuff for me is a potent weedkiller, hot at least.

The spent wash is to be cleared, chilled to ambient, and pH-adjusted to ~7. It should actually be a fairly good fertilizer.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Previous

Return to Artisan Spirits Experience