• Advertisement

Scotch Whisky New Make

This is a forum to discuss the organoleptic qualities of the spirits we produce.

Re: Scotch Whisky New Make

Postby okie » Thu May 19, 2016 9:11 am

dad300 wrote:Just read a post at ADI, about oxidation occurring for up to three months in bottle adding a lot of polish to the drink.

Thanks dad300
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby Eucyblues » Mon May 23, 2016 1:55 am

I can't stress enough that the type of barley and roast level make a HUGE difference to the final whisky profile
Compare std pale base malt against Pilsner, Golden Promise, and Munich and you'll be very surprised
Eucyblues

Postby okie » Mon May 23, 2016 11:27 am

Eucyblues wrote:I can't stress enough that the type of barley and roast level make a HUGE difference to the final whisky profile
Compare std pale base malt against Pilsner, Golden Promise, and Munich and you'll be very surprised

What roast do you prefer? I always buy the standard 2 row malt. I don't do malt in a can or bag. I'm a grain masher.
okie

Postby Eucyblues » Mon May 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Okie, I suggest you try a range of malts if you can. I haven't gone darker than Munich 2 and that gives you a heavy whisky you can almost chew, but even if this is too much for you, it's great to add a small amount of this to add depth to lighter whiskies
I like the results of Pilsner and Golden Promise, less so Maris Otter. Golden Promise fluffs up more than std malts, and retains a bit more water, so you need to cut back a tad if you normally run a full tun
I've also tried crystal malt made from Maris Otter added to a Maris Otter batch..smelt like chocolate

Experiment, experiment...

and take a look at the book "Alt Whiskies"- (Corsair) some seriously different whiskies in there..a good read

have fun
Cheers
Eb
Eucyblues

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Great timing, Eucy. At Cultus Bay Distillery we're just looking at interesting grain bills for the poitin and Irish. I liked especially a bill that a friend used, some light base malt (we're kinda stuck with Washington State 2-row) with honey malt and crystal 90.

We're doing a test mash in a couple of days, and I want to have some real flavor, both white and aged. Although we won't have anything until 3 still runs later, I'll keep you posted, and any more info you have have will be hugely welcome.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Eucyblues » Tue May 24, 2016 3:36 am

Sounds good zb..depending on your proportions, that should be a punchy brew

For trials it's way easier to do full runs of each grain and then blend the spirits..gives you an accurate tasting of the effect of each grain on the blend. If you have a mixed grain bill you can't ascertain the contribution of each. So as far as possible, trial distill individual grains, blend test the outputs and find your optimum grain bill that way. One run of each will give you sufficient volume to do heaps of blending trials

You obviously can't do that with some adjuncts with low dp. In that case try the adjuncts at the highest possible concentration with a high dp light base malt (eg distillers malt) first, then you can take a good stab at the desired blend

I look forward to hearing your results

Cheers
Eb
Eucyblues

Postby okie » Tue May 24, 2016 10:14 am

Damn it, I wasn't going to mash the next few months. Now I want to try those malts.

Thanks Eucy. I will do as you say. Keeping a straight mash then blend. I was thinking that's best anyway and you confirmed it.
okie

Postby zedzedtop » Wed May 25, 2016 12:46 am

I haven't found that the barley variety makes much difference at all. Small changes in kiln temperature, like that between 2L and 3L, lend very subtle differences but the contributions pale (PUN!) in comparison to other variables, like yeast selection and fermentation temperature.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed May 25, 2016 10:21 am

We're planning to use Danstar Nottingham ale yeast, and to ferment at 85F (29C) and are looking for a full-flavored whiskey. Does that sound reasonable?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby zedzedtop » Thu May 26, 2016 11:54 pm

Haven't tried dried ale yeast for sw, but if I did, I'd be looking for something not so flocculent, like a hefe strain. Notty is pretty flocculent.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

zedzedtop

Postby Eucyblues » Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm

zedzedtop wrote:I haven't found that the barley variety makes much difference at all. Small changes in kiln temperature, like that between 2L and 3L, lend very subtle differences but the contributions pale (PUN!) in comparison to other variables, like yeast selection and fermentation temperature.

Go darker and you may change your mind zed..try a Munich 2
Eucyblues

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat May 28, 2016 11:47 pm

zedzedtop wrote:Haven't tried dried ale yeast for sw, but if I did, I'd be looking for something not so flocculent, like a hefe strain. Notty is pretty flocculent.

What is your objection to a more flocculent yeast strain. The way we're trying to handle waste water, high flocculation is an advantage.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby zedzedtop » Mon May 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Attenuation. How does the water use enter in?

zedzedtop

Postby zedzedtop » Mon May 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Eucyblues wrote:
zedzedtop wrote:I haven't found that the barley variety makes much difference at all. Small changes in kiln temperature, like that between 2L and 3L, lend very subtle differences but the contributions pale (PUN!) in comparison to other variables, like yeast selection and fermentation temperature.

Go darker and you may change your mind zed..try a Munich 2

Munich2 isn't a small change in kiln temp., but a rather large one. It also isn't a different barley variety. I have no doubt that using munich2 or a bunch of dark roast changes the spirit character. It would likely put it out of the range of Scotch new make spirit, which is what I focus on. I'm totally interested in experimentation and different grains, but that isn't what I'm focusing on now.

zedzedtop

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 30, 2016 10:35 pm

zedzedtop wrote:Attenuation. How does the water use enter in?

Since the spent still charge of the stripper is disposed of by irrigating a bamboo grove, having good flocculation means it's less hassle to get clear liquid into, and out of, the stripper.

Zymurgy Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Artisan Spirits Experience