• Advertisement

Cut Session

This is a forum to discuss the organoleptic qualities of the spirits we produce.

Cut Session

Postby zedzedtop » Sat May 14, 2016 2:27 am

The most challenging yet interesting part for me. Consistent spectrum with startling qualities - not there yet.
Attachments
cutties.JPG
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: Cut Session

Postby zedzedtop » Sat May 14, 2016 2:36 am

Last ferment was cool and prolonged. Weather is warming up so perhaps next time I can get things up to proper temp. Cooler ferments really seem to dull down the centre cut richness for me.

I might try some experiments soon. First I might try to introduce some hefe yeast into the pitch. After a few iterations with that, I might toy with the idea of reverting to double run scotch-style distillations for a few cycles.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

zedzedtop

Postby Azframer » Sat May 14, 2016 1:49 pm

I always seemed to like my slower ferment results over the speedy myself. Always results in a smoother drink no matter what it is.

Rick
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby sugarcreek » Sat May 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Is that your fermenter in the background? I ferment rum in blue plastic barrels and have found drum heaters work very well in keep ferm temps up. The thermostat is usually horrible so I remove it and use an ebay generic PID and RTD.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby zedzedtop » Sun May 15, 2016 4:25 am

No that's a tank just for water that we use for cooking and drinking. I have a rev. osmo. deal that keeps that tank filled when I turn it on. Another pump mists epiphytes and of course there is a spigot for retrieval of whatever water I want. Sucks to heave 5gal buckets of the stuff around for beermaking but that's what I do these days. Funnily enough, I did order that thank the same time I ordered the conical dealie for the beer mash tun. Couple of years back....

zedzedtop

Postby zedzedtop » Sun May 15, 2016 4:31 am

Azframer wrote:I always seemed to like my slower ferment results over the speedy myself. Always results in a smoother drink no matter what it is.

Rick

I sort of do too. I wasn't so much referring to the speed, but the temperature. A 90degF ferment that finishes in 2.5days is better at five days than a 60degF ferment that finishes at five days and run then. For my yeast and process that is. I think it helps to make sure things are settled down and done. A little lactic activity is good. A whisky wash that ferments like a lager always gives thin and insipid hearts for me.

zedzedtop

Return to Artisan Spirits Experience