• Advertisement

Change in distilling tax legislation.

Spirits, distillation, and any other news links or resources you'd like to share.

Re: Change in distilling tax legislation.

Postby Mud » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am

Has there been any commentary from the craft spirits community? How do they feel about hobby level legalization? I'm just curious if they think it will increase interest in spirits overall or if they think it will cut into their profits. And what you guys think about that, if anything.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby punkin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Certainly the commercial members on the StillDragon forum seem to be all for legalization.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Azframer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:47 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:
okie wrote:If I understand you, that means it will still be illegal to home distill?

That's correct. There are efforts underway to get the home distilling paragraph written back into the new bill(s). Someone (or ones) put the kibosh on that key paragraph (for us) with the writing of the new bill introduced in the new session of congress.

It's back to square one. If you want to help, write your senators and congressman and also contribute some money for the lobbying effort. It's really a shame - I've read that it was only a couple of senators who were responsible for having the home distilling paragraph removed.

Which couple of senators? I'd kind of like to know myself.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 am

Azframer wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:
okie wrote:If I understand you, that means it will still be illegal to home distill?

That's correct. There are efforts underway to get the home distilling paragraph written back into the new bill(s). Someone (or ones) put the kibosh on that key paragraph (for us) with the writing of the new bill introduced in the new session of congress.

It's back to square one. If you want to help, write your senators and congressman and also contribute some money for the lobbying effort. It's really a shame - I've read that it was only a couple of senators who were responsible for having the home distilling paragraph removed.

Which couple of senators? I'd kind of like to know myself.

Not sure which two senators. I think the new bill in the senate was introduced by a Missouri senator and one other that I don't know. They introduced it, but not sure if they were responsible for dropping the paragraph. There's a big thread about it over on HD if you're looking for particulars.

Edit: Here's a link to a post in the HD thread. Looks like it may not have been two senators, but maybe some industry lobbyists(?). Sorry, forgot to add the link - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7454093 .
S-Cackalacky

Postby dale » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Last year there two versions of the bill in both the House and the Senate, one with and one without home distilling. Is this not still the case?
dale

Equipment type: pot still

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

They throw all the old stuff out and start afresh... no home distilling included in the new stuff so bitch at your congressman and senator...

happy stillin,

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Buddy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 am

This just back from Senator Dianne Feinstein

[quote]
Dear Mr. Buddy:

Thank you for writing me to express your support for revising alcohol laws. I appreciate the time you took to write, and I sincerely apologize for the delay in my response.

As you mention, the “Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act of 2017” (S. 236), of which I am a cosponsor and which Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) introduced on January 30, 2017, does not include this legalization of home distillery establishments. I understand you support amending S. 236 to include legalizing home distilleries. S. 236 has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee, of which I am not a member.

I have made careful note of your support for home distilleries, and I will keep your views in mind should the full Senate consider S. 236 or related legislation.

Once again, thank you for writing. Should you have any other questions or comments, please call my Washington office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at feinstein.senate.gov. You can also follow me online at YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, and you can sign up for my email newsletter at feinstein.senate.gov/newsletter.

Sincerely,

Dianne Feinstein

United States Senator
{/quote]
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Buddy, at least she acknowledged the subject of "home distilleries". In most cases they seem to just talk around the issue without even mentioning it. Would be cool if it got added back into the bill.
S-Cackalacky

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:51 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:Buddy, at least she acknowledged the subject of "home distilleries". In most cases they seem to just talk around the issue without even mentioning it. Would be cool if it got added back into the bill.

As I live in Ca, I wouldn't put much credence on what she says vs. how she votes.
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby Pa_bon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:49 am

And that, sir, can be applied to the overwhelming majority................
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 am

Hope I didn't give the impression that I'm a fan of Dianne Feinstein, or any other politician for that matter. Politics is a necessary evil for representative government.

Just sayin' that, at least she wrote the words. My congressman, in response to my letter (email), danced all around the issue with a lot of meaningless double-talk. The "greasing" of palms seems to have more weight than the will of the people.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Azframer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am

One she did no t answer that email or whatever was sent in, she has her minions reply to them.
Two they get paid to write what you want the see written.

I think this issue is now dead myself, the lobbyist has paid for what they wanted. We have to continue as we always have.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:48 am

Totally agree - Jim Beam has spoken.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm

The legalization subject isn't going away. Quite the contrary, and hobby activity in the US is growing.
https://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=213420
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Good article ZB. Maybe one day our legislators will start working for their constituents instead of special interest groups. God forbid a little justice should stand in the way of the flow of money.
S-Cackalacky

Previous

Return to In The News