• Advertisement

Change in distilling tax legislation.

Spirits, distillation, and any other news links or resources you'd like to share.

Re: Change in distilling tax legislation.

Postby Mud » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am

Has there been any commentary from the craft spirits community? How do they feel about hobby level legalization? I'm just curious if they think it will increase interest in spirits overall or if they think it will cut into their profits. And what you guys think about that, if anything.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby punkin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Certainly the commercial members on the StillDragon forum seem to be all for legalization.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Azframer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:47 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:
okie wrote:If I understand you, that means it will still be illegal to home distill?

That's correct. There are efforts underway to get the home distilling paragraph written back into the new bill(s). Someone (or ones) put the kibosh on that key paragraph (for us) with the writing of the new bill introduced in the new session of congress.

It's back to square one. If you want to help, write your senators and congressman and also contribute some money for the lobbying effort. It's really a shame - I've read that it was only a couple of senators who were responsible for having the home distilling paragraph removed.

Which couple of senators? I'd kind of like to know myself.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 am

Azframer wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:
okie wrote:If I understand you, that means it will still be illegal to home distill?

That's correct. There are efforts underway to get the home distilling paragraph written back into the new bill(s). Someone (or ones) put the kibosh on that key paragraph (for us) with the writing of the new bill introduced in the new session of congress.

It's back to square one. If you want to help, write your senators and congressman and also contribute some money for the lobbying effort. It's really a shame - I've read that it was only a couple of senators who were responsible for having the home distilling paragraph removed.

Which couple of senators? I'd kind of like to know myself.

Not sure which two senators. I think the new bill in the senate was introduced by a Missouri senator and one other that I don't know. They introduced it, but not sure if they were responsible for dropping the paragraph. There's a big thread about it over on HD if you're looking for particulars.

Edit: Here's a link to a post in the HD thread. Looks like it may not have been two senators, but maybe some industry lobbyists(?). Sorry, forgot to add the link - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7454093 .
S-Cackalacky

Postby dale » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Last year there two versions of the bill in both the House and the Senate, one with and one without home distilling. Is this not still the case?
dale

Equipment type: pot still

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

They throw all the old stuff out and start afresh... no home distilling included in the new stuff so bitch at your congressman and senator...

happy stillin,

FS
FullySilenced

Previous

Return to In The News