• Advertisement

Million dollar bottle of whiskey

Spirits, distillation, and any other news links or resources you'd like to share.

Million dollar bottle of whiskey

Postby sasquatch » Sun May 20, 2018 9:47 am

Extremely Rare Bottles Of Whiskey Fetch Over $2 Million At Auction

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05- ... on-auction

Just six months after a Leonardo painting sold for $450 million, smashing all auction records, this week the world's record excess liquidity once again underwent a "non-sterilized intervention", when two bottles of whiskey sold for a mindboggling $2.11 million at a Hong Kong Bonhams auction on Friday, smashing the record for the most expensive bottles ever sold, according to the South China Morning Post.

After a rare 60-year-old Macallan whiskey named after British pop artist Peter Blake went for $1.01 million (HK$7.96 million) from a bidder over the phone, a second bottle from the same vintage named after Italian artist Valerio Adami sold for $1.1 million (HK$8.64 million) to a bidder in the room. Only twelve of each Macallan were ever made.

The label for one of the bottles was designed by Blake, who is popularly known for co-creating the cover art for the album Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles.

Both were distilled in 1926 and matured in a sherry hogshead cask until they were bottled in 1986.

They were expected to fetch between $450,000 and $575,000. The previous record at auction for a bottle of whiskey was set in 2014, when a six-liter Macallan went for $624,000.

“These bottles are some of the oldest whiskies produced by Macallan in the 20th century,” said Daniel Lam On-tai, head of fine wine and whisky for Bonhams in Hong Kong. "They were not meant for sale. They were given to very important clients of Macallan."

The bottles were presented in specially designed cabinets made out of brass and glass, according to Lam.

Other highlights from the auction include the oldest Karuizawa whiskey known in existence at 52-years-old, setting a new record for a single bottle of Japanese whiskey at $312,000. It was one of 41 bottles produced in its batch, and was estimated to fetch between $190,000 and $230,000.

All 645 items in the auction fetched a total of $5.9 million, or as the Fed would call it, an "non-sterilized intervention" in liquidity conditions.
sasquatch

Re: Million dollar bottle of whiskey

Postby Kareltje » Sun May 20, 2018 5:42 pm

I read the story in my newspaper.
I really can not understand such a behaviour.
I collect coins and sometimes pay much more than the real value of the thing itself in metal or buying power. But you can see them, compare with the next denominations and imagine the use.
But the whisky (Macallan is Scottish) can not be tasted, not even be smelled.

If you want to show you have 1 million dollars to spend, why not collect 10,000 biljets of 100 dollar, or 1 million of 1 dollar, and show this pile to the world?
Kareltje

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 21, 2018 1:21 am

Ok, so it still looks good for the art-deco dog turd I'm asking $850 for on eBay.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby sasquatch » Tue May 22, 2018 11:03 am

Did you age the turd 60 years as well?
sasquatch

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue May 22, 2018 9:19 pm

sasquatch wrote:Did you age the turd 60 years as well?

No, but that's what people used to ask my wife a while back.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby zedzedtop » Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 am

I've got a million dollar bottle of whisky. No one's bought it yet though.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby sasquatch » Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 am

zedzedtop wrote:I've got a million dollar bottle of whisky. No one's bought it yet though.

You just might have but have you aged it for 60 years, have a famous artist design the label with limited volume for a specific cause?
Any one can do it but who has followed the guide lines to reproduce this goal?
The distiller of the million dollar bottle is most likely dead by now and all they got was an hourly wage.

This formula is easy reproduced with any thing of quality. Just need time.
After all it doessn't even matter whats in the bottle because it most likely will never be opened.
Its the details that sets the price.

So for you guys that have a licensed distillery and thinking about leaving something for your young members of your family just duplicate the recipe for success and good things should happen.
sasquatch

Return to In The News