• Advertisement

For all you pros out there -- Tito's Lawsuit

Spirits, distillation, and any other news links or resources you'd like to share.

Re: For all you pros out there -- Tito's Lawsuit

Postby Smaug » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 am

Mud wrote:The process described in the lawsuit doesn't seem very handmade, does it? But of course theres no way to produce that volume w/o mass production methods. Victim of his own success is right.

+1

They were surely reluctant to change the package since the brand itself is largely predicated upon the package. In hind sight I'm sure they are clever enough to wordsmith a label that would be less offensive to the folks that have been offended.

As an aside, they must be doing something right. The marketing can only go so far if the product does not live up to the implied standard. And Tito is certainly not the only outfit doing this as we all know.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby dad300 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 pm

"Tito's Hand Made Vodka"

"Crafted in an old fashion Pot Still"

"Distilled Six Times"

If it has not already happened, someone will copyright the term "HAND MADE" and it will no longer mean made with one's hands!

I would have more of an issue with "Crafted in an old fashion Pot Still." Is this stuff even touching a copper pot still?
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby Smaug » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

The regional sales guy here explained to me more specifically that Tito will distill as many as 6 times....He went on to further explain that sometimes Tito only needs to distill 4 times. It just depends.
Naturally I am paraphrasing and am not quoting verbatim.

But in mind I was thinking "WTF is this dude talking about?"
Smaug

Postby Kapea » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Theoretical plates?

Old fashioned pot still... spirits from this still are used to make Old Fashioned cocktails?

Semantics games...

I have a client who bottles water. The label laws here state very specifically that water labeled as being from an artesian source must truly be from an artesian source. The water my client bottles is most certainly not artesian, but they print that it is on the label anyway. The label was approved by the water bottling regulatory agency. Being artesian has nothing to do with water quality, but my client thinks being labeled as such will make it sell better (even if it is an outright lie).
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Cap'n Canuck

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 pm

I thought once about bottling water for sale.

Slogan: "Slow-aged for six billion years, our product offers exceptional smoothness."
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:09 pm

"Multiple evaporation and remineralization cycles ensure sophisticated complexity."

"Mellowed on a giant, rotating earthen-ware vessel, using a complicated 'gravitational-skin' technique"
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

zedzedtop

Postby Smaug » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Ok now that is some fancy wordsmithing.
Smaug

Postby mort4 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:47 am

Tito claims he is still batch distilling and making proper cuts. If that is so, as a customer that's probably more relevant to me than some of the other details of the case. There are not many choices for a picky and frugal vodka drinker(me :) ). I'll be traveling to the civilized world for a few weeks and I know sooner or later I'll have to buy something. As far as I can see, most ad copy is a bunch of lies anyway.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby Dan P. » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:12 pm

850,000 cases sold annually?
I don't think this will hurt him too much. It is a pretty minority interest, how the vodka was made.
And you have to be a first class dildo to take a man to court because the vodka you bought wasn't sufficiently "hand made". Can we presume this is a hatchet job by a larger producer?
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby Harry » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:25 pm

dad300 wrote:
If it has not already happened, someone will copyright the term "HAND MADE" and it will no longer mean made with one's hands!

And another class action lawsuit will start. "Hand" is a common surname...
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=surn ... gws_rd=ssl

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:54 am

Like 'Brewin' with Herb.'

zedzedtop

Postby Jaybird » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:20 am

what a total complete and total crock of $H!T! You have to be an absolute fu(k!ng ass bag to take someone to court because of crap like this! My GOD this is one of those things that get under my skin! I swear this is whats wrong with the world today. Take a successful business and try and crush him because of a label process that is true to the "humble beginnings" of his entrepreneurial business adventure. Uhhhgggg
Nor Cal Brewing Solutions
Reddings Local HOMEBREW store

www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com

Cigar Smoker? Check out www.stogietoys.com
Jaybird

Equipment type: ***** Home Brew Store

Postby sugarcreek » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Sorry guys. Have to disagree with many of you. As a consumer I have the right to expect the label accurately describes the product in the bottle. Do you think that if the plaintiff wrote a letter asking Tito's nicely to change their label to reflect how the contents were actually made rather than a blatant lie they would have acquiesced? Of course they wouldn't have. I wont pick at nits regarding the "hand made" notation as that's too open for interpretation. But suggesting they make their spirit in a pot still "distilled six times" (and that wouldn't even get you to 190) simply misleads the consumer.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Mud » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:00 pm

What Sugarcreek said. Consumers shouldn't be lied to. If you're making misleading or untrue statements you've gone wrong. That's just a rule of life.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

PreviousNext

Return to In The News