• Advertisement

Wood Pellet Grills

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Wood Pellet Grills

Postby Mud » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:53 pm

My old, small grill is due for an upgrade. The family has gotten bigger and with guests around it's hard to make enough in one pass. I guess pellet grills are a thing now. Has anybody here used one?

It looks like Traeger, Green Mountain and Louisiana Grills are all good names. There's a Green Mountain dealer close to me. Oddly they wouldn't let me take one for a test drive.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Re: Wood Pellet Grills

Postby Swede » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:59 pm

If you got the money, nothing beats a Yoder. You should look them up. YS640 is a very popular pellet pooper.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet-grills.html
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby Pa_bon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Damn! Those baby's are as high as giraffe nuts. Good looking though.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Mud » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Swede wrote:If you got the money, nothing beats a Yoder. You should look them up. YS640 is a very popular pellet pooper.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet-grills.html

Damn but those look impressive. Too spendy for me though.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby sugarcreek » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:05 pm

You'll never sear in one of those -- think of them as a smoker / oven more than a grill. Traegers top out at about 450 degrees. Similar to a Holland which I had in "a previous life". I can speak highly enough about my green egg. Forget if there's a costco near you , but they have started to carry Traegers.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:13 am

If you like smoke flavor, you may find that you don't get it with a pooper. You sure won't get a pizza to cook very well on one.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby dutchmancreek » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 am

I've never used a pellet grill, but had a friend who swore by his Traeger.

I use a Weber Genesis gas grill for nearly all my grilling. It's big enough and hot enough for most anything . I've had it for four years and it's in great shape ( I used to burn up cheaper gas grills every 18-24 months). For high heat cooking and blackening, I keep a Weber kettle grill on the deck.

I've got two friends who swear by the Big Green Egg and that looks like a good way to go, although expensive.

I've got too much outdoor cooking stuff now and I'd probably have to move out to the deck if I bought more:
(Weber gasser, Weber kettle, Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, extra large electric cabinet smoker, Charbroil Big Easy IR cooker, campfire cook set, etc.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby Mud » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:07 am

This is all very disappointing. But thanks for the input.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Swede » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Mud,

Have a look at Costco for the Pit Boss ceramic egg style charcoal grills. I use a very similar one (Vision Kamado) and it's my main smoker/bbq/grill. Can smoke at 250°f all night without tending, and can roar along at 5-700f for searing steaks if you want too. Best part is, they're usually less than $500 for you guys south of the border if you hit the right sale (I've heard of guys regularily getting them for 399).

https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic ... 95951.html

I would highly recommend you go that route, you'll find that your propane bbq collects a lot of dust.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby okie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:02 am

I have a Char Griller combo gas one side charcoal next side with a side box for indirect smoking. I find my meat is better tasting than most with the indirect heat method but it does take attention. I also had to make it more air tight to control the burn. Out of the box it's pretty loose. I've had it six years and my brisket or ribs smoke the competition.

I will say I have a friend with an egg and he loves it. We haven't compared meats yet, but that day will come.

Last tip. If you want the best brisket ever, buy Adams Brisket rub from Texas. On line of course. Rub your brisket with that liberally, not just shake it on, let it sit two hours and then smoke it under 250 for at least 8 hours. I like 10. You won't believe the flavor and it's all natural.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby Mud » Sat May 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks for the advice, gents. An egg-like grill is in my future. The local shop that sells pellet grills had a demo today and there was nothing spectacular about them. I suspect they were a solution waiting for a problem in some regards.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby punkin » Sat May 27, 2017 2:32 pm

It'd be the constant need to keep spending money on it that got me. The pellets are expensive here. That's why i love my stick burner. I have a PID controller that one of the StillDragon forum guys made me waiting for me to fit it.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sat May 27, 2017 7:19 pm

I love the traeger pellets as a smoking medium... Cheap, and load into either the main tray or smoker generator... Twould be wasteful to use em as a pure heat source but a cheap source of smoke... Cant be beat..
Cap'n Canuck

Postby pintoshine » Sun May 28, 2017 10:32 pm

you have to check out https://www.pitboss-grills.com/grills/
especially check out https://www.pitboss-grills.com/store/#! ... ort=normal
a lot of cool stuff.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby rockchucker22 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:24 pm

I have a treager and it is one hell of a cooker, you can smoke, grill, bake on it. Temps are easily controlled and stay very consistent. They are efficient and cost less to run than propane or charcoal. It also hard to burn your food. Highly recommend pellet smokers.
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Next

Return to Food