• Advertisement

Hot Sauce

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Re: Hot Sauce

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:52 pm

I use a mixture of a few varieties of fresh red chilies, a couple bell peppers for sweetness, an onion and a little garlic, a little salt and sulphite free white wine. Blend it all together, then add a little active beet kvass or sauerkraut juice to get it started. Burp the jar daily for a week or so, then put it in the fridge. Makes a very nice lactofermented hot sauce.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Azframer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Call me a candyass or whatever, you will not see me eating a Ghost chili, I have seen enough people on the internet making a complete fool of themselves trying to eat them.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:31 am

+1 Az - hottest thing I need or want is a habanero and I have to prepare myself for it. The difference in heat between a habanero and a ghost is around 1 million scoville units. Not sure the endorphin rush is worth the pain.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Smaug » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:42 am

I just cut em up and render them down a bit in olive oil. Then strain the bits out and use the oil to season to taste..
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby just sayin' » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Smaug wrote:I just cut em up and render them down a bit in olive oil. Then strain the bits out and use the oil to season to taste..

Interesting! I have done that with garlic, low and slow, never thought about peppers.
just sayin'

Postby vb » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:27 pm

yup, thats the way to make chilli oil, far nicer than you can buy.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:23 am

On a somewhat similar note, I love the way you put pepper heat in kung pao, pork, or chicken. You toss a few peppers (I use the Asian cayenne, long red-grown guys) into a bit of hot oil in the wok, on medium-high heat, and with a wooden implement, stir, press, and squeeze the peppers until you can smell the very special smell that comes off the peppers, that often make me sneeze like crazy at first.

After that, toss in your veggies and precooked meat, and finish off the recipe. That scorched or toasted pepper flavor is what makes kung pao special.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:On a somewhat similar note, I love the way you put pepper heat in kung pao, pork, or chicken. You toss a few peppers (I use the Asian cayenne, long red-grown guys) into a bit of hot oil in the wok, on medium-high heat, and with a wooden implement, stir, press, and squeeze the peppers until you can smell the very special smell that comes off the peppers, that often make me sneeze like crazy at first.

After that, toss in your veggies and precooked meat, and finish off the recipe. That scorched or toasted pepper flavor is what makes kung pao special.

Sounds slightly similar to making kaang kiew wan where you fry up the green curry paste in the oil for awhile before beginning to add meat.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:13 pm

I don't know the kaang kiew wan, but I make a mean panang curry, and that also starts with frying the (homemade) paste, but it's at a way lower temperature than the kung pao pepper conversion.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Kaang kiew wan is my jam, brah. Lol.

Thai green curry, I usually use chicken in that one, with sliced red chillies to counterbalance the green curry paste, beans and some broccoli florets, and garnished with roasted cashew nuts.

I do a pretty nice red curry with pork belly as well. I like Thai food. Panang is very tasty, too.

Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:35 pm

I'll have to look that up I can't imagine life without Thai food.....except lately. :(

Zymurgy Bob

Postby sasquatch » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 am

There is a new king of heat called the Carolina Reaper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozHUec4sPc
sasquatch

Previous

Return to Food