• Advertisement

SALAMI

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

SALAMI

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Decided to try something different from the usual fresh sausages. These are going to be my first attempts at dry cured (hard) salami.

2D2E7047-6674-4F68-B304-014B03D3881B.jpeg

C6A204F3-FACC-4BB7-A5D8-075ADEBCC31C.jpeg

The top ones are Garlic/Ginger recipe, the bottom photo is Soppressata.

The trouble with salami is that I won’t know how they turn out for about six weeks.
They have to ferment for 72 hours before starting to cure and dry.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Re: SALAMI

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Excellent. I just completed my first batch. Sourced some pastured pork from a local place. They actually give free back fat to members. That probably caused me to use a little too much fat, and possibly a bit too coarse of a grind (for the fat). Took five weeks to lose 40% weight. Flavour is excellent, but the excess fat gives a bit of a buttery texture. Haven't taken any finished pics yet of the slice, but here's one a few days before I pulled them.....
Attachments
charctank1.JPG
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby sasquatch » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:48 pm

looking good
what fat percentage did you use?
and do you use a curing chamber with temp/hum controls?
sasquatch

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Me or Dutchman?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

zedzedtop

Postby sasquatch » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:42 pm

@zedzedtop
for fat% if you think you are using to much
and both of you if you use a ferment chamber.

I would love to do the bacteria cure but i am scared because I don't have the chamber.
sasquatch

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:48 am

So I started with a butt that had a fairly thick cap on it. Also some extra back fat. The butt sans cap I figgerd had 10% fat, with cap netting 20%, then added ~10% with the spare backfat. I should mention again that this was very good pork with deep red meat and firm, even backfat. Did my best to remove all glands from the shoulder, and went on to remove as much silverskin and connective tissue as possible. Gave up before long as I realized that my pile of scraps would equal my pile of keeper if I kept going. Froze everything till crispy. Ground fat through 6mm and rest through 3mm. Back to freezer for a bit then added salt at 2.75%, cure 2 at 0.25%, a bunch of black pepper, and bactoferm b lc 007 and dextrose to 0.5%, which is a little higher than peeps seem to be using these days for a slower, milder ferment. Stuffed into beef middles. Fermed at 75degF in my beer ferm chamber for 1.5days. Sprayed with mold 600 about halfway through. Did a pH reading but had an old probe but nonetheless it read very low. Can't remember but it was well below what it needed to be. Final product is not too sour at all so that's good. I was aiming for a more traditional non-sour salami. Moved to the whisky cellar which was just a smidge under 60degF. Had a 5gal bucket of water in there that made the cheap hum gauge read a little under 80%RH. If I spilled a pint or two of water on the floor each day that brought the RH to 85%+.

I noticed that the mold 600 didn't like to grow on the casings where the large fat chunks were.

I think the fat % was too much just for texture reasons. The slices seem a little buttery with the large chunks in there. The fat is very mild and can't really be tasted above the meat. Salami is full flavoured and a bit yeasty and peppery. Very good I'm happy with a first go at it.

So yes I used a ferm chamber held at 75degF and near 90%RH for a day and a half. Only temp controlled. Sprayed a bunch of water on the walls and that did the trick. Drying was 100% passively temp/RH controlled. I had a 4'' comp fan in the ferm chamber and a fairly high powered 4'' fan in the cellar. I think the fans are very important to keep the environment even and the sausages from getting stagnant.

zedzedtop

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:00 am

Casings have been removed to protect the innocent....
Attachments
slice2.JPG
slice.JPG

zedzedtop

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:15 am

Although I have back fat in the freezer, I didn’t add any. I felt the shoulder already had enough. The fermentation is from Bactoferm T-SPX and dextrose. I fermented at about 70 degrees for 72 hours in an old smoker cabinet with a large container of water for humidity. Of course, Cure#2 is always required for any type of dried/cured sausage.

The casings I use are from UMAi and allow curing and drying in an ordinary modern (frost free) refrigerator. No special temperature and humidity controls are required. These casings are more expensive but eliminate the need for a specialized chamber. Of course there’s also no mold growth on the outside of the salamis (this can be a good thing) . My target is a 40% weight loss.

dutchmancreek

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Seems like a lot of peeps are using the umai bags. How are they coming along?

zedzedtop

Postby punkin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:35 pm

I have done salami's by just using cure and spices and hanging them in my garage in winter. I did try using my beer fridge and making a humi pen out of it but the casings were showing green mold now and then so i just used the open shed and a fan. We lived in very dry country and i did not add any mold or cultures. Some of them i tried cold smoking for a few hours when they were fresh and they came up well too.

salami1.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm

The salami is coming along well, I think. I haven’t weighed yet, but the meat is starting to shrink away from the casings and feels much firmer...just what is supposed to be happening.

I lay the salamis on racks in the refrigerator instead of hanging them to save space. This refrigerator is not dedicated to sausage....it’s a spare fridge in the basement so I have to share space with beer, soda, food, etc. I think I need to look for another fridge.

dutchmancreek

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:54 pm

The three on the left are Soppressata. They are brighter red probably because the sugar source for the Bactoferm fermentation was dextrose while the garlic/ginger salamis on the right had sweet vermouth for the sugar.
FE9ED554-B9DA-4633-AA6E-D4EB294F68B3.jpeg

dutchmancreek

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Looking good. You can really see the red through those bags!

zedzedtop

Return to Food