• Advertisement

Sour Dough

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Re: Sour Dough

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Sometime before WWII, my uncle bought an old dairy farm from, well, an old sourdough, literally, a name given to the gold-seekers of the Alaska gold rush of (1897?). We'd spend a month on the farm every summer, and then bring home a descendant of that 1897 Alaskan starter, to replace the one we'd finally let die from the previous year. Very early, it sorted out that if anything happened to that sourdough, it would happen at my hands, and all I knew to do with it was to make these really sour pancakes. After a few months of eating these low-pH breakfast treats, I'd respond to criticism, and let the starter die. Next summer, we'd do that all over again.

Maybe enough time has passed that I could try again.

Mud, I've never actually made a sourdough starter, but I did take a microbiology class, once, and I have made a few of Pint's sour mash starters, that's enough to know that wild microbes don't always do what you hope they'll do. When Pint describes the sour mashing, what he essentially says is that you start 3 separate batches, and only use the ones that (finally) stop stinking.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby DavidWatkins » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Makes me curious about just mixing L. Brevis right into some bakers yeast and flour for a starter, skip the whole wild microbes not behaving part entirely. I have a culture going anyway for my sour beers, might as well try it sometime.
DavidWatkins

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:36 am

Never not had a starter work out unless I neglected it. Makes a big difference if you can start it off with a bit of acid so the lacto can get going in its favoured environment. Not-too-old local-ish whole grains are good too at the start. Old whole wheat flour is not the best for starters nor is white flour. In summer months, starting off a new starter takes me a couple of weeks to be consistent if I don't use a bit of acid and the whole grain inoculation. Can get quite the limberger nose to it until then.

Once you have it going and feed it regularly, it will never get suddenly nasty out of the blue.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Previous

Return to Food