• Advertisement

any hot chicken wing recipes?

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

any hot chicken wing recipes?

Postby ArcticShine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm

would like to cook up some hot chicken wings. I like hot food ( and frozen too.. :D )
anyone have a recipe to cook in an oven?

much obliged.

Arctic
ArcticShine

Equipment type: 6 gal. S.S. 2" potstill with worm externally heated
20 liter keg Style boiler, Electric 110 v. Potstill with 3/8" worm

Re: any hot chicken wing recipes?

Postby eternalfrost » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 pm

eternalfrost

Postby ArcticShine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm

tx. frost,
i actually have that site on my bookmarks... :?
from a basic recipe (as on that site); i also include tabasco sauce (the red variety) and some juice from pickled hot pepper rings.
I dont get the nice thick layer (the heart stopper stuff :| ) of caramalizing.
Might have to add some sugars and lower the temp and abit longer.

i've found some green tabasco sauce which is not as pungent as the red, will have to give that a go.

tx. again from the frozen wonderland

Arctic
ArcticShine

Postby pintoshine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:33 pm

I've never found a baked hot wing recipe I like. The texture is all wrong.
I make my own sauce from Frank's Red Hot. It is rather mild but I boil it down a bit to concentrate it. After it cools down a bit I add an equal amount of real butter and make it like a butter thickened sauce.
It is real easy to put peanut oil in a stock pot and deep fry the wings. I tend to fry mine too long for some people but I like them crispy and chewy.
I always allow the wings to cool down enough that they won't melt the sauce too much. It hanngs on to the wings better that way. If I want to kick them up a bit I add some Cholula Original. That will make you sweat. I've been known to go half and half but I'm the only one I know that can eat it like that.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby ArcticShine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:13 pm

thanks Pint'
that's got to be what i'm doin wrong. i should cook the chicken then add the sauce and have as is (without cooking more?)
I've been taken raw chicken, mixing in the hot sauce then cooking in the oven. that's why it gets mushy.
I should cook the chicken then swirl in the hot sauce, when the chicken wings cool abit.

ok, i have a plan of action now. I've got bout 4 liter of olive oil, and some sesame oil in the pantry (i read that sesame seed oil and peanut oil have a higher burn temp). I'll try mixing up abit of both for the fry oil (instead of the oven)

was thinking of rice and green peas as a side.

appreciate both of you for your advise.

thank you
Arctic
ArcticShine

Postby Decoy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:24 pm

i do chicken thighs

The trick is to marinade the meat only with garlic and chillie oil to start.
then get rid of as much moisture out of the meat by longer lower temp cooking and searing.

use lots of sugar or honey in the basting sauce, i use a spicy marinade or sauce as the base for the basting sauce and add cold pressed chillie oil to taste.

the basting sauce needs to be reduced and partially caramlised before you start basting the meat, get rid of as much water as you can out of the sauce.
if you cook the meat with the basting sauce from start it will burn.

continue to baste on a wire rack for 5-15min at 180 deg c till the coating thickens up

this works for me on nice thick drumstick and thigh fillets
Cheers
Decoy..

"Artisan Distiller" The art of making your own distillation apparatus for the
purpose of home distillation of spirits alcohol or ethanol for personal use.
Decoy

Postby pintoshine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm

If you deep fry them, start with 350f oil and not much hotter. only fry half a dozen at a time in a stove top sized stock pot. If they are frozen, fry for a full 15 minutes. It will seem excessive but you will love the flavor and texture. Make sure the upper and low part od the wing are separated. I buy really cheap frozen wing portions and have to cut mine apart discarding the tips.
Remember to allow the wings to coo a bit before tossing in sauce.

Oh celery and blue cheese dressing is a traditional side too.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby mikejwoodnz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:29 pm

I marinate mine in a honey, soy, chilli, garlic mix then oven roast them in a pan, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds afterwoods but no matter how hot I make them my Asian wife still uses Tabasco sauce as ketchup :!:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby Decoy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

mikejwoodnz wrote:I marinate mine in a honey, soy, chilli, garlic mix then oven roast them in a pan, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds afterwoods but no matter how hot I make them my Asian wife still uses Tabasco sauce as ketchup :!:

i used to do my drumsticks like that, they tasted ok, but there was alot of moisture in them and the sauce that just ran into the pan sweating most of the flavour and coating of the meat.

do as Pint and i have said by preparing and caramalising the baste first, and add a shit load of chillie oil for the little lady.
Cheers
Decoy..

Decoy

Postby Decoy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:43 pm

to make hot chillie oil i grind a handfull of hot chillie seeds to a coars grit/ powder and soak them in half a cup of 96% abv in a jar for a few days then i add the lot to 1Lt of oil like canola sesame peanut etc.. and simmer it on low heat till it almost stops then cool and bottle.

it will stop simmering as soon as the alcohol evaporates dont simmer any longer.

you can strain the seeds out or leave em in, your choice.
Cheers
Decoy..

Decoy

Postby ArcticShine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm

that's all very proper. I joined on this site knowing thar' is alot of folks have a great handle on how to make stills and how to make wash or mash; that was my cartilage to ask for a membership. aint have been dissapointed in that front.
the discussion's of life stuff as we live it is more then appreciable.

i sure do appreciate your assistance, all of ya's. if i can only tell what the smhbo or somthing like that means... :lol:

i's planning to try a couple steps; one is with a marinade (how long Decoy?) and the other (of which both will be the basting procedure) is to reduce the basting sauce (i'll use this on both) the other is to deep fry the appendegeds (sp?) raw.

in comradeship, fellowship, and maybe some forgiveness at times....

Arctic
ArcticShine

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

ArcticShine wrote:if i can only tell what the smhbo or somthing like that means... :lol:
Arctic

shmbo... She who must be obeyed.. Wife... partner...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Decoy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 pm

ArcticShine wrote:i's planning to try a couple steps; one is with a marinade (how long Decoy?) and the other (of which both will be the basting procedure) is to reduce the basting sauce (i'll use this on both) the other is to deep fry the appendegeds (sp?) raw.

Arctic

marinading prepares the meat by infusing a base flavour and or tenderising it, the length of time depends on how thick the piece of meat is and how strong you want the flavour, if the meat is thick you can inject marinade with a syringe etc.

i use simple marinades to flavour like spices, garlic, ginger, sliced tomato, onion, sliced fruit etc, i layer the meat with the sliced or crushed fruits and veg in between for 12 to 24 hours, the longer you leave it the stronger the flavour and it penetrates deeper into thicker meat.

before cooking i quickly scrape of as much of the marinade and solids of the meat so it dont burn.

I now reduce the marinade by simmering it in a pot until the fruit or vegetables turn into a gooey mush, add sugar or honey to taste, the more honey the stickyer and gooeyer it will get.

while cooking the meat most of the flavour is lost from the surface of the meat due to weeping and sweating while cooking

once the meat browns or goes crispy i start basting it with the marinade.
Cheers
Decoy..

Decoy

Postby ArcticShine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:42 pm

that's a grreat description decoy.
aint that special...my situation normal all f..u...SNAFU, will prolly be gooter then for the swmbo... :lol:

ok, that's enuff, i'll have too much much info for my brain...usually just a straight mind ...buah

that's fun.

i shall try,

come pick up a hind of frozen caribou

arctic
ArcticShine

Postby punkin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 am

Wings, as Pint says, need to be fried first for best results.

Try this as the simplest quickest chili snack you will ever have. I Cut a squid hood into rings for lunch yesterday and did the same, but wings are tops.

Do as pint says in sectioning the wings, keep the tips for stock...

Get a large plastic bag and add 4 parts (tablespoons for a small batch, cups for a party) plain flour, 1 part salt, 1 part hot chilli powder.

Toss the segments in and deep fry hot for a couple minutes till light brown, then drain on a rack and add to a moderate oven till tender (maybe 3/4 hour) but not burnt.

Good snacking.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Next

Return to Food