• Advertisement

mmmmmmm bacon

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Re: mmmmmmm bacon

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:11 am

Mud wrote:Last night I took that to mean a fruit pie and was surprised. But you must mean a meat pie?

Is there any other type than a meat pie.
Australia's national dish, pie and sauce

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby punkin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Yes i know mate just toying with you.

You yanks think of a differnt picture when the word pie is coined. We think only of our staple food. The aussie meat pie.

If it's a sweet pie it will be called 'apple pie' or 'lemon merringue pie' etc. The only time you here pie by itself over here refers to meat pie. Opposite of you guys.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Dang. This is how I thought Aussies bought bacon..

lWuOj7G.jpg
Cap'n Canuck

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 pm

Damn! You Aussies get all the good stuff...I think.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby punkin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:17 am

Cap'n Canuck wrote:Dang. This is how I thought Aussies bought bacon..

lWuOj7G.jpg

Yes, i'm ashamed to say that is exactly how most aussies buy not just bacon, but meat in general.

Supermarket meat is to be avoided in almost all circumstances lest we end up in a society where you don't have a local butcher that you can ask to take the skin and ribs out of a pork belly. Or do a cut that is not standard. or order a whole animal for next wednesday cut the way you want it.

From what i read on the BBQ forums that's the way you guys in the States have it in the cities and if you want a pork belly etc you need to source an asian butcher?

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby just sayin' » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:30 am

Mangamahu Moonshine wrote:
just sayin' wrote:How does life get much better than beer, bacon and your loving babe?

Whisky, prosciutto, and two loving babes?

MM,
That sounds promising, but my loving babe of over forty years would frown on the last part...
just sayin'

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:51 pm

Does anybody but me love "fresh side"? It's just sliced pork belly.....essentially uncured, unsmoked bacon. I like it sliced relatively thick and slowly fried (I use a griddle on the gas grill) until nearly crisp.

Serve with potato pancakes and apple sauce....yumm.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Never had that, but yes, I would eat it. Sounds good.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:27 am

punkin wrote:
Supermarket meat is to be avoided in almost all circumstances lest we end up in a society where you don't have a local butcher that you can ask to take the skin and ribs out of a pork belly. Or do a cut that is not standard. or order a whole animal for next wednesday cut the way you want it.

I just do my own. But then again, I've spent a lot of time working in abbies and meatworks.

Butchers are in short supply here in NZ these days. It's still a four year trade, but the few old buggers left around don't tend to apprentice many people. Most qualified butchers end up going to work as boners or slaughtermen, and the only real way to make a living as a butcher now is to do on-site homekill.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Tracker » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:01 am

Unfortunately, that is the way the world is going. Supermarket pricing makes it difficult for local butchers to compete. We are fortunate that where we live we have a local butcher who will cut and slice to order and I will continue to support them.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Same here Tracker. I'm lucky enough to have an independent butcher down the road. They run their own slaughter house and process only locally raised meat stock. After eating grocery store chicken for so many years, it's amazing how much more flavorful a free range chicken can be.
S-Cackalacky

Postby vb » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:59 pm

punkin wrote:From what i read on the BBQ forums that's the way you guys in the States have it in the cities and if you want a pork belly etc you need to source an asian butcher?

Thats how it is in Canada for the most part, Except I recently found a local shop that does all the bulk pack stuff as well as custom butchery.
call the day ahead and you can get any cut you want, or have them butcher and pack your own pig for you.
I dont buy meat anywhere else any more.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby punkin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:01 pm

We have a large butcher/market here in town that is part of a catering supplies group. The prices are better than supermarket prices and the meat is a fantastic quality. You can buy it on trays if you want or you can go to the counter and have the butchers cut what you want, how you want.

I'm on first name basis with the guys who work the counter and a couple of the senior butchers out the back. It helps, i get my meat and seafood there except for the meat i get from farms.

punkin

Previous

Return to Food