• Advertisement

Jerky

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Jerky

Postby vb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:28 am

well the weather sucks, but today it warmed up enough that I decided to pull out the smoker (that I've never used yet) and take stock.
Gotta buy some smoking pellets, but everything else is good to go.

first on my list of to-do's, Beef Jerky.
got a couple roasts from on of my Dads mean old cows that could be put to use.

what yo you all use for your jerky? raw meat sliced thin with a little marinade? or is there more to it than that?
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby punkin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:48 am

Been making Jerky for the last 3 days. I just posted a method in another thread this week, i'll dig it out...

punkin wrote:Jerky eh?

Haven't really got a recipe, like most marinades i make it up as i go along...but there is some standout ingredients depending what you like.

I'll give it a shot.

Take a lean piece of beef (i like topside) trim all fat and sinew off. Fat will not cure and will go rancid.

Freeze it lightly unless you have very sharp knives and then slice as thinly as you can. I like a bit of chew and moistness to remain, so i slice it about the same thickness as presliced cheese ie; 1-2mm. Slice with the grain for best results, this gives a chewy moist jerky with long strands that will tear down it's length. Sliced across the grain will give a drier crumbly jerky that some people prefer, but not many.

Marinade in your favourite sauce, i suggest you pick a theme, texan, chinese, teryaki, honey soy, bbq whatever.

If you like a hot spicy jerky, cracked pepper is a much better ingredient to ramp it up than chilli, a little dried chillis is good, but go heavy on the pepper...pile it in.

Some english black sauce is good, worchestireshire or lancashire relish, i use a lot of teryaki sauce, a dash of soy for salt (you don't need much) don't add salt. Some sweetness, i use Char Sui chinese bbq sauce, but maple syrup is good, even some brown sugar.

Some bourbon or rum, some sherry, powdered onion or garlic? let your imagination take ya.

Marinade in a zip lock bag in the fridge for a couplea days, then lay on trays in your smoker, dehydrator or slow oven, dry at 60 degrees C (140F) until it is at the required consistency. It will dry a little more after you remove it, and if it's still too moist store it in an open paper bag in the fridge till it's right.

I use some smoke (bourbon or rum sticks work VERY well) probably an hour to start and an hour to finnish, you don't wanta overdo the smokiness...

My 80 litre smoker takes 12 hours or so to do 5kg wet weight, but it varies.

My 80 litre keg smoker holds about 4 kilo of sliced topside for Jerky and i've done a couple runs this week.
I have a mate that weighs 70 kilo wringing wet, but he can put away 1/2 a kilo of jerky while he has a conversation with ya. I try to tell him he's just eaten 2 - 1/2 kilos of steak, but he won't listen :lol: :roflmao:

So one run for him (he picked it up today) and one run for me to keep in the cupboard till he comes round and bludges it back off me when he runs out next week :roll:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby vb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:24 am

just aquired a "Little Chief" smoker over christmas, not nearly the capacity of yours, but it'll do untill I got the space to build a bigger one.

saw the discussion on the other thread, but hadn't realised you'd posted your recipe.
vb

Postby Decoy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 am

wow my favorite munchie food...
I love moist jerky, its perfect when i go bush, no need for refrigeration high in protine.. and goes perfectly with BEER...

dam punkin you eaven turn you jurky drying into an artform... :8)

Here is a tip on how to slice meat i picked up some where..

you get a wooden cuting board run 2 dowl strips of you desierd thicknes down each side, then plonk your meat on top and slice, it still helps to freez the meet till it goes firm..

i place my meat in the freezer for an hour then in the refrigerator for an hour or two then back in the freezer for an hour ish and so on till its firm all the way thru.

i use garlic, chillie, wosterchire and maple syrup or brown sugar and a squirt of liquid smoke...
i put a table spoon of ham cure in marinade.. it contains potasium nitrate which stops salmanila..

i cut long thin strips about 5mm thick by 20mm wide..

marinade over night..

then i stick toothpics through one end and hang them by the toothpic between the oven rack rails thingys..

leave the door slightly open at the top about 5-10mm and i place a computer fan inside the oven to blow air and heat around.. this keeps it at 60c for about 8hrs.. and the next morning i just put it in a brown paper bag and hang it up a bit to eaven out moisture over a few days..

:8)
Cheers
Decoy..

"Artisan Distiller" The art of making your own distillation apparatus for the
purpose of home distillation of spirits alcohol or ethanol for personal use.
Decoy

Postby punkin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Sounds good decoy, might i suggest adding some cracked black pepper to your next try. You'll really appreciate the difference (put heaps in).

The only commercial jerky we've been able to source that is worth buying comes from down towards you, if you go for a trip one day to Port Stephens there's a little dingy servo on the road in there on your right hand side. They grow cows somewhere and ship the beef to qld to be made into jerky of five or six flavours. They slice it thin into big sheets the size of your hand and bigger than dry it a little drier than i like it.

They got it in twenty litre drums on the counter and sell by the kilo (think it's somewhere round the $140 a kilo mark) so it works out pretty cheap. A twenty dollar bag is a couplea big sheets in a shopping bag :8)

Not a scatch on mine, but pretty good nonetheless :D

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Decoy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:55 pm

ill keep that in mind, i dont go thru port stepehns much but im at newcastle a fair bit i might go for a wander and take a look next time its only 20min out..

my favorite jerky is made by Mariani foods, here is a link
http://www.mariani.com.au/products.html

thay have a nice moist gravy / stock pot flavourd like flavour jerky, i havent seen them in stoores or pubs latly but ocasionaly i find it somwhere, this is the one im tying to coppy..

the other one i like is Jack Links BBQ, its sold in woolies there on special at the moment a 50gm pack for under $3 works out to about $60 Kg.
here is a ink http://www.jacklinks.com/

one thing i have been meaning to try is squeezing mince or ground meet jerky strips.. jack links has a teryaki mince nuget jerky, not to bad..
i eat it to fast tho..

ill give you recipie a try..
i like cutting my with the grain like you, makes it moist and chewy so it lasts a while..

also by addingn ham pickle or cure... it gives the meet a redy transparant colour dosent seem to go as dry ither..

i feel like making some jerky now.
Cheers
Decoy..

Decoy

Postby punkin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Think i still got your addreess somewhere unless i've cleaned out my box...

Might post ya some good stuff :8)

FukinJackLinksShitIndeedPunkin :roll:

punkin

Postby CoopsOz » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:04 pm

I would have bet the farm that you were gonna come back with that punkin. :roflmao:
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
CoopsOz

Postby punkin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:18 pm

CoopsOz wrote:I would have bet the farm that you were gonna come back with that punkin. :roflmao:

Well!.... :P

The Mariana stuffs ok, but i tried some of that nugget stuff once and nearly spewed. it really is like what i imagine eating a nugget would be like :lol:

punkin

Postby big worm » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:31 pm

ummmm partialy defatted fatty beef nuggets...spiced just right
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby vb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:59 pm

well thw warm spell only lasted a couple hours, its cold and snowy again.
so any attempts at smoking will have to be put off untill we have a little break in the weather.

quite a change from summer like weather in november.
vb

Postby Decoy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:45 pm

punkin wrote:Think i still got your addreess somewhere unless i've cleaned out my box...

Might post ya some good stuff :8)

if you get a chance it would be nice..

i picked up a few items today to try your recepie, but i dont have a smoker i just use the stove...

be intresting to try.. :8)

FukinJackLinksShitIndeedPunkin :roll:[/quote]
Cheers
Decoy..

Decoy

Re: Jerky

Postby Decoy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Hey Punkin ..

Got your parcel today, chewing on some jerky ATM..

strong smokey flavour at first.. then eases to a nice melow smokey taste.
the pepper makes it verry tangy and spicy..
the texture is good not to dry and not to moist..

if your slicing it about 2mm wet i would double that to about 3-4mm
but appart from that it is very nice.. im thougrly enjoying it..

thanx punkin..
Cheers
Decoy..

Decoy

Postby punkin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:51 pm

You're very welcome.

punkin

Postby Decoy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 am

I dont have a smoker or anytrhing like that but this works great till i make my self a smoker box.
This is how i do my jerky,
IMG_3900.JPG
IMG_3900.JPG (125.43 KiB) Viewed 11226 times

I cut the meat into strips.
the meat is first marinaded in ham pickle for 2-3 hrs
ham pickle contains potasium nitrate which kills bacteria preventing salmanila.
drain the pickle but dont rinse it, then marinade with what you like, you must use a fair bit of maple syrup or brown sugar etc, then some spices to taste, with this batch i added shit loads of ground pepper, as to punkins sugestion..
the meat is marinaded over night

hang em with toothpics on the oven rack, i place a computer fan on top to circulate the air and heat eavenly.
place foil at the bottom to catch dripping and to prevent direct radiant heat from cooking the meat.

i give em a good spray of liquid hickory smoke, and a couple of times during drying as well.

Leave the oven door slighly open the entire drying time, about 2cm at the top of the door, this allows hot moist air out.

bring the oven to 62c and hold for 5-10min to further kill of salmanila bacteria, if you go to much over this arond 70c you will cook the meat not dry it.
then bring it back to 50c for about 8hrs

take em of the toothpics and let sit in a paper bag for a day or two before eating, this lets the moisture further dry and eaven out through the meat.

the pepper added a rich tangy barbecue tast.

enjoy..
Cheers
Decoy..

Decoy

Next

Return to Food