• Advertisement

Sausage making/Meat smoking equipment thread

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Re: Sausage making/Meat smoking equipment thread

Postby hard times » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:47 am

There was plenty of smoke involved with this operation, infact I had
2 smokers running off to the sides :roflmao:

It was an old hive with massive amounts of burr comb, it had not
been tended to in several years, I had to cut it apart with guitar string
then pry it the rest of the way apart with bars.
It was a mess.

I had moved the hive in late winter after it was given to me by a fellow
beeman that had become disabled several years ago and was unable to tend it.

The super on the ground weighed 89 lbs.

If I've disrupted this thread with bee stuff, please move or delete as you see fit. :8)
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby punkin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 pm

That's impresive Butch.

The beef fat, is there a reason you use it instead of pork fat? All the stuff i've read on the net say's it's not good appearance wise cause it shows yellow and the flavour is not appealing. Interested in your view of that statement as you obviously don't agree.

We have three of us doing ten shengs each on Sunday now. I have 15kg of pork trim (jowls and stuff) that's pretty fatty and 15 kg of boned shoulders to mix together (115 pounds all up). 1 guy is doing Chorizo, i'll be doing Pork and Apple Bourbon Sausages and some Cumberlands and maybe some smoked Kabanosi if my cure #1 turns up in time. I dunno what my mate Pete is doing, he's an ex butcher so he'll probably do something with meal in it.

I'll be baking rusk today and will have breadcrumbs made for the other guys if they prefer those.

One of the guys manages a club so he'll be bringing a keg of Black IPA woohoo :8)
I'll take some pics as we go.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Butch Coolidge » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:55 pm

punkin wrote:The beef fat, is there a reason you use it instead of pork fat? All the stuff i've read on the net say's it's not good appearance wise cause it shows yellow and the flavour is not appealing. Interested in your view of that statement as you obviously don't agree.

I think it's more or less what was available to me at the time I was ready to process. They may have misinformed me at the bulk meats place but they told me that in either beef or pork, there is a choice between kidney far and cod fat. I don't understand the names because I didn't think kidneys have any fat and cod is a fish.

Anyway, beef was the only type available (could be because pork is better?) at the time. They said that kidney fat is more smeary and cod fat is more firm and will stay in pellet-like form after grinding. They also said the firmer kind is better for sausage mouth feel.

I chose the cod fat and think it's great. The chunks were bright white, not yellowish.

All the choices only come in 50 lb boxes so I couldn't afford to try different ones, pretty much had to pick something and roll with it.

Butch
"I'm American, Honey. Our names don't mean shit!"
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Postby punkin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Excellent Butch. I'm just learning so any real life info is valuable for me. :rkn:

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby bentstick » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 pm

I by no means am a expert but have made lots of sausage from mainly wild game,Moose,deer,wild boar,duck, and we have used mainly beef fat, main reason is we freeze it for the seasons and the beef fat has a longer shelf life x2 of using pork fat,it was a hint gave to me from my processor buddy gave me yrs ago and he does smoker loads of up to 1000lbs/454kg at a time! For fresh sausage and small batches he will use pork fat, but also express the time frame it should be used by!
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby dellae » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Beef Fat - the particular breed of animal makes a lot of difference.
EG - dairy breeds have a yellow low density fat, breeds selected for Beef (ie: Angus) have a white firm fat. And there is also a significant taste difference.
Just do it!
dellae

Equipment type: 4" - 7 Plate SD Bubble/Sieve, (65mm x 1mtr - now retired) (Shell'n'tube reflux), 50L electric kettle.
6kW heating with 3 elements. SSR40 power controller.
And a growing list of SD Parts.

Postby sasquatch » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 am

I prefer pork over beef fat.
I do my casings with 80 to 90% moose and the rest pork fat.
I like the taste of the wild meat with out diluting the flavour with domestic animals.
The family has been eating wild meat for so long now that they wouldn't eat beef.

You can even use oils instead of fats.
sasquatch

Postby ArcticShine » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:29 am

catching Arctic Char on nets in our once frozen ocean. Smoking them in the smoker, eating raw fresh, eggs are getting bigger. They fat already. I ordered whats called AMNPS, amazing smoker or something rather. Its a tray you put the smoking pellets in. I have apple, cherry and hickory pellets. Up here, dwarf willow for heat and black berry twigs for flavour. is the traditional method.
the type of fat we usually hunt are from caribou, they do not get marbling like cows, it's layered on the ribs or on the outside of the back and rump. Marrow, stomach lining and "lard" from boiling bones is sustenance. Blubber from Beluga whales is not eaten on its own, usually on with the skin and eaten raw, boiled or over a fire or fantastically aged, then eatin frozen. The stuff renders when heated over a fire so it is best to heat it off the coals. Sausage is not made per se'. We usually boil intestines or cook over fire. There are many parts of the innards we (Inuit) eat. Their are several piece of the stomach that can be used for storage of "specialty" meats from the caribou.
ArcticShine

Equipment type: 6 gal. S.S. 2" potstill with worm externally heated
20 liter keg Style boiler, Electric 110 v. Potstill with 3/8" worm

Postby punkin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm making rusk today in preparation for Sunday;

Economy Rusk Recipe;

450g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 ¼ tsp cream of tartar
185-250ml water

Preheat oven to 230C
sieve flour, salt and baking powder/cream of tartar together. Add enough water to form a smooth dough. Roll out to 12mm thick on baking paper and bake for 10mins. Remove from oven and split in half using a fork, place back on tray with open sides up. Reduce heat to 190C and bake another 10 mins. Remove, cool and grate to coarse crumbs.

The whole house smells like fresh baked scones (biscuits to those from the US).

sausagerusk1.jpg

sausagerusk2.jpg

I've got the pork in, 15 kg of pork trim from the butcher and 15kg of boned shoulder from woolies (i think you guys call it boston butt or somesuch)

sausagepork1.jpg

punkin

Postby ArcticShine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 am

looks splendid, I can't make bread, hard tack biscuit, pilot biscuit is usually what I bring hunting. or a pan fried slab of what we call Bannock. or another version of in the oven. pretty simple , flour, magic baking powder and water. add sugar, raisins if you have em. but bread? i'd make it into a brick
ArcticShine

Postby sasquatch » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 am

Nothing wrong with a good bannock burger.
Arctic Shine, I heard Beluga sushi taste real good?
sasquatch

Postby ArcticShine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:29 am

Hello Sasquatch; the meat of the beluga whale is very rich, alot of red blood cells. The skin is chewy, and it's rather bland actually. But very good. I make fermented skin/blubber with it. I tried drying meat, it was not to my liking. Boiled or over a fire with HP sauce, Ketchup or soya sauce.. very good.
ArcticShine

Postby punkin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Yeah, it's not bread. It's a baked dough like you describe, just flour water baking powder and salt. It smells wonderful but tastes really bland, hard and chewy.

It's processed up in the electric processor to breadcrumbs and then frozen. I add it to sausage at about 10% as a filler.

punkin

Postby punkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:20 pm

I have 3.5kg (7.7lb) of lean venison and a couple of kilos of pork fat, i can get some fatty or lean pork meat if needed.

Can some one suggest a tried and proven sausage recipe and method?
I'd like to do a smoked sausage with it in the vein of a cabanosi or salmi or what i think the Us guys call snack sticks.

I have Cure #1 and Cure #2. I have natural lamb and hog casings only but can probably source some others. Not really keen on the look of the summer sausage.

punkin

Postby punkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 pm

I like this recipe i found on the net too, anyone see a problem with it?

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/smoked-venison.html

punkin

PreviousNext

Return to Food