• Advertisement

CharGriller Deluxe Offset smoker

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

CharGriller Deluxe Offset smoker

Postby punkin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:18 pm

It's become apparent that i am never going to get around to building a smoker and i spotted this little beauty down at Bunnings the other day.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/char-griller-deluxe_p3180388

As a $99 optional extra you can order in (out of stock for a couple weeks) a little version of it that bolts to the side to convert it to an offset.

Reading up around the traps it's considered to be an ok version for the price (which is good) and with a few mods like sealing round the lid gap and taking the breather for the stack down to grill level and fitting some decent digital thermo's people say it'll do quite well.

Just wondering if anyone here has used one or has any advice?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Re: CharGriller Deluxe Offset smoker

Postby brutal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 am

I have a friend who bought those two pieces separately for less than they offer them together. He sealed it together with silicone or something. He found all the information on it online, I believe in a forum about smoking. He's a bigger nerd than even me.. He has sent me pictures of the ribs and meats that he has been making and they look damn good. He used the internet to become an expert lol. I'll ask him where he got his information.
brutal

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 am

Are you going to use wood or charcoal for primary heat source? If wood, then get the offset box. If charcoal, build an ugly drum smoker, but if you gotta buy... then get a Weber One Touch Gold.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby 3d0g » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:37 am

I just picked up a Char Griller 3001 this spring and slapped on the charcoal sidecar. Best of both worlds - I can sear with 41K BTUs and then shut the gas off and smoke away. Good kit. Well built for the price.
3d0g

Postby brutal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 am

He said to search amazon for char griller offset smoker 8282, and 2424 offset smoker box. Getting them separately saves a lot over buying the kit for some reason. He didn't mention a specific forum just that several forums have the information on fixing the smoke leaks.
brutal

Postby captainshooch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:26 am

Punkin, that smoker is just like the one I use and I am very happy with it. It does have the offset fire box on the far side.
Attachments
smokin 003.JPG
captainshooch

Postby punkin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks guys. I looked those numbers up and works out more exe ticket price even without trying to find someone to ship it to Australia Brutal.

The 3001 model looks ok but i already have a good 4 burner gas grill. The offset will be used for charcoal or heatbead burns for long slow cooking as a smoker or short searing in the small smoke box ofr chops and steaks just for the two of us. I doubt i'll ever put charcoal in the main box.

The weber is $100 more without a cover etc Rebel, and then i have all the problems of doing snake methods and funny burns to try and get good at cooking on it.

I've searched up the mods on the Chargriller and they seem simple enough. Said to extend the smokestack down to grill level, add a firebox made from expanded mesh to the offset, and seal around the main box including the lid/body joint. Also need to add a couple of thermos at grill level.

Reviews online say the features of a 4 piece cast grill, seperate smoke box, large grilling surface, etc outweigh the drawbacks of needing to do the mods to bring it up to spec.
I think the main idea of sealing it besides keeping the effect of the weather out is so you can damp the charcoal and put the fire out saving charcoal at the end of the cook and getting a few short cooks out of one charge?
Does that sound right?

Really interested in if someone could point me to some basic articles that they have found helpful on learning to drive it. I am interested in wings and ribs and pulled pork. I don't eat much beef. Love ABT's etc.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:24 pm

I had one for years and we still have that same model at the cabin ( the one at the cabin is the second one in 20 years, so they last). I think they are great for the money.

The mods you saw are about the same ones I did....the smokestack down to grill level evens out the heat and the mesh firebox helps too. Sealing around the lid/door of the cooking chamber is easy with felt and high temp sealant (from the auto store). Another " mod" is to restrict that opening between the fire box and the cooking chamber. I used a piece of sheet metal to close off the top section of the opening so that the radiant heat from the fire didn't over cook the food closest to that end.

I found that using charcoal was best for the heat and wood for smoke flavor. Using straight wood can sometimes result in creosote buildup and bad flavored food. If you're grilling and not smoking, then the charcoal is put directly under the cast iron grates.

Always cook and smoke with the chimney damper wide open...gotta keep the smoke moving.

The best smoke is a thin blue smoke....as long as you can smell it, it's good.

You'll have to use thermometers to find out the hot and cold areas.....every one is different in the way they work
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby punkin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks DMC, great info. Can you post a link to the felt stuff that allows me to see what it is so i can source it over here please?

I'm glad they last. There is an optional custom cover for $40 that takes the total price up to $300 plus a couple bucks for the mods i think that's great value for what i've seen over here. I think the cover will be worth the cost in having it last. I intend to season the big box by burning in with the little one before use. Not sure i'll ever need a fire in the big box, so old mates foil idea in the video will be used for sure. Do you think repainting it is worth the expense?

I saw a video of the same guy doing a cook with some ribs in it later on youtube and it looked like he had blankets on top of the unit to insulate?

Offsets are just starting to become available in Australia as we are just now learning the American style of BBQ. 30 years late, but i'm going to enjoy it i think. If i can get this thing to light and go out by damping i think i'll get a lot of use from it. And at $300 plus accessories like a chimney, thermometers and a looflighter, i can justify it.

punkin

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 pm

It is your smoker to drive mate. Enjoy!
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby punkin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks mate. Hopefully you guys can see the wish list. I'll pick up a chimnet and a looflighter here, but is there other accesories i need so i can get em all for one freight price?

Is there stuff i have on my list that i won't need or can make simply?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishl ... l_huc_view

punkin

Postby Swede » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Good on ya punkin. Hopefully you learn to drive that thing after a few cooks. I'd check out http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/index.php and http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/ for plenty of tips on mods and ways to make that think tick...

I've thought about a home built offset, but have been so happy with my kamado that I've not bothered with it to date. The ceramic cooking blends the best stuff of offset and vertical cookers like the WSM (weber smokey mountain/UDS) that I haven't felt the need to get one. Came damn close this spring to getting a Yoder Wichita but figured that I would use my kamado way more. Just couldn't justify the cost, would have been near $2500 and I'd only cook on it a few times a year.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:19 pm

I got the felt at a place that sold replacement felt for big green eggs, but it is almost the same as you can buy in the weatherstripping section of the hardware store. It'll stick on with the sealant and it doesn't get hot enough to burn the felt.

Some people do use welding blankets to insulate the smoker in cold or windy weather...in the summer there shouldn't be a problem. If you are only going to use it as a smoker, put fire bricks in the bottom of the big chamber...the extra mass smooths out temperature swings.

The smoker at the cabin sets out all year, under the eaves, with no cover. I clean it up and paint it with hi-temp paint every spring, but a cover would be a good idea.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby punkin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the hardware store here ans see if i can find something called felt DMC. The only felt i know of is the stuff they put on pool tables.

Got all those links open in new tabs Swede and i'll go through and have a look at them shortly.

I bought the griller yesterday, and i'll keep it in the box as they didn't have an expected date for the offset attachment and i don't need another griller.

punkin

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Looked over your list. I would suggest that you opt for a Maverick ET732 http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm It is better at maintaining communication. Signal drop is a PITA on the older units. Regardless of model Maverick chosen, take some silicone and seal the moisture out of the stainless braid and probe connection, then add about a meter of heat shrink tubing. Moisture kills the probes.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Next

Return to Food