• Advertisement

Carrots

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Carrots

Postby Harry » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:03 pm

We learn something new every day.

THE CARROT. — There is a wild carrot which grows in England; but it is white and small, and not much esteemed. The garden carrot in general use, was introduced in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and was, at first, so highly esteemed, that the ladies wore leaves of it in their head-dresses. It is of great value in the culinary art, especially for soups and stews. It can be used also for beer instead of malt, and, in distillation, it yields a large quantity of spirit. The carrot is proportionably valuable as it has more of the red than the yellow part. There is a large red variety much used by the farmers for colouring butter. As a garden vegetable, it is what is called the orange-carrot that is usually cultivated. As a fattening food for cattle, it is excellent; but for man it is indigestible, on account of its fibrous matter. Of 1,000 parts, 95 consist of sugar, and 3 of starch. — The accompanying cut represents a pretty winter ornament, obtained by placing a cut from the top of the carrot-root in a shallow vessel of water, when the young leaves spring forth with a charming freshness and fullness.

Source: The Book of Household Management, by Isabella Beeton
Chapter VI.
Recipes.
Fruit and Vegetable Soups.

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Re: Carrots

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Carrots

You wouldn't think that this particular vegetable would be good for making booze, but carrots are at least a little bit sweet. Sweetness = sugar, and sugar is what yeast can devour to make into alcohol. According to this recipe, carrots are peeled, chopped, and then boiled until they're mush. Sugar is added (which is almost cheating), as is yeast. The result: Carrot wine. It's less alcoholic than grape wine, but it still comes in sweet or dry varieties. Thirsty, wabbit?
FullySilenced

Postby punkin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:37 pm

I was planning a carrot ferment a few years ago. I went past some large farms on the way up to Qld to stay with rellies and they had 25kg bags of carrots for a couple of dollars.

On the way back i couldn't find the sign and it seemed they were sold out and the packing shed was empty.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Mud » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:49 pm

A little research shows that wild carrots look a lot like poisonous hemlock. Be sure it smells like carrots if you pick 'em wild.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Kapea » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Harry's post above states 9.5% sugar in carrots. This chart shows <6%. Other sources state around 6%. I imagine it depends on the variety.

I say if you have access to a shitload of carrots, grind da buggahs up and throw some yeast at 'em. (don't forget to punch down the cap! :D )

Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Bushman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 am

That is a nice chart Kapea, just added it to my saved images :8)
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby dellae » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:13 am

When I started learning about spirit distillation (+40yrs) the 1st book I found in the library had a procedure for carrot whisky, amongst others.
The discussion on sugar and starch conversion set me on the road to trying anything I could lay my hands on, much to my mothers dismay - hence I got my own garden in the paddock across the road.

As is shown in the chart, carrots have more sugar than corn, and look how much effort is put into corn fermentation.
But once you have done a carrot whisky you soon realise why corn is more common.
When I started out I didn't have access to enzymes so have often thought I should give them another go now that I have a better setup.

If you could get carrots at the right price and you had the space and equipment then I think they are suitable as a blending addition.
Just do it!
dellae

Equipment type: 4" - 7 Plate SD Bubble/Sieve, (65mm x 1mtr - now retired) (Shell'n'tube reflux), 50L electric kettle.
6kW heating with 3 elements. SSR40 power controller.
And a growing list of SD Parts.

Postby Kapea » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:20 am

Carrots are low in starch so there's mostly just fermentable sugars to be had from carrots.

Corn is lower in sugar than carrots, but much higher in starch. Converting the starch to fermentable sugars is what gives corn the advantage. A bit more work, but a good return on investment.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Return to Food