• Advertisement

cob oven for bread, pizza...and other things

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

cob oven for bread, pizza...and other things

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:57 am

first of all thanks to giving me access to other topics, and who dont like food. especially pizza.
a couple years ago i made a cob oven out of my own clay out of my own soil. it took alot of work, but man the pizza is the best you can get. i can cook a pizza in 2 minutes. its wood fired. just thought i would post it. i have done alot of research on this as well. my granddaughter helped me do all the foot stomping the clay. these are great for artisan bread as well.
Attachments
20130831_122731.jpg
bobrun4172

Equipment type: super fast milli distillery

Re: cob oven for bread, pizza...and other things

Postby Kapea » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Round here we call those Portuguese ovens (well, actually Portagee ovens). They are awesome for pizza and bread! Build a fire in there, heat up the oven, remove the fire, and bake away... Nothing like it!

Nice build! You are a man of many talents.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:32 pm

Cool! Some of us are a bunch of foodies according to Punkin... Got any build pictures?
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:41 pm

thanks kapea. they are great for parties as you probably know. i usually have a big table set up where people can make there own pizza, and i just shove it in there, and within minutes can take it out, and shove the next in. whats nice too because of the insulation factor i dont have to use alot of wood. i dont take the fire out when baking pizza. i shove the coals back, but if baking bread afterwards i take out the coals, and when the temp drops down to around 450 i put the bread in, and put the door in. then if i want to bake say a casserole i let it cool down just a bit more, and bake it too.
i sure wish i lived where you are. i used to live in oregon close to the ocean, and florida as well. i used to get my own seafood using my crab traps, and gigging flounder at night. i would also get oysters, and dig for clams. i havent had steamed oysters in a long time.....man i love them things!
bobrun4172

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:45 pm

hi rebel. i learned alot researching those on you tube first, and went from there. there are alot of good tutorials, but i will put some build pics up for you.
bobrun4172

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:02 pm

the pics i have the most are with my grandaughter, and what you see is the sand mold. you use it too form a mold, and that is covered in a mixture of sand, clay, and water . after that a mixture of sand, clay, straw, and water is used to build your insulating barrier. underneath the stone foundation is a pit dug down to 36 inches, and filled with loose gravel. the stones are laid up too the height you want, and that too is filled with loose gravel until you get to the top. it then is filled with sand, and glass bottles laid on top with more sand. then that is smoothed out so to lay your firebrick oven floor. once everything has dried you dig out the sand mold you made, and fire it up. alot of damn work for a pizza.....lol
however i would reccomend the tutorials. i will post where i learned from. there is too much to try and explain the whole process.
Attachments
20130824_102322.jpg
bobrun4172

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:02 pm

she decided to make mud pies in this pic.....lol
bobrun4172

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:06 pm

here is the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuGzhPxofE. on the cob build
bobrun4172

Postby Kapea » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:35 am

Oysters in Florida... You used to run in the panhandle?

Central Florida & the Space Coast, me. Back in the day...
Kapea

Postby bobrun4172 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:09 pm

I used to go to crystal river near yankee town on the gulf side, and get shrimp by netting, and take a canoe out to the oyster bars. The water runs real shallow, and you just stay in the channels. I would set crab traps in the morning, and fish for sea trout, and mullet during the day. Then at night gig for flounder. I would camp over night, and then check the crab traps in the morning. Mostly blue crab. I sure miss those days. That was better than 25 years ago. Also when I lived in oregon I wood go to coos bay. Do crabing there also, and dig for clams when the tide went out on the mud flats. I live in pa now, and am originally from there, and hunt white tail deer, and both regular fish, and ice fish at near by lakes. Mostly walleye, perch, and trout.
bobrun4172

Postby Kapea » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Good scalloping over by Crystal River too...
What I miss most is the snook fishing. Fished and camped a gozillion nights at Sebastian Inlet. Good snook fishing in and around Haulover Canal up by KSC/Merritt Island too. No snook here in the tropics. :(

Used to think the surfing was pretty good at Sebastian Inlet - then I moved here. :rkn:
Atlantic waves are little more than boat wake. :roll:
Kapea

Return to Food