• Advertisement

smokehouses, and recipes

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

smokehouses, and recipes

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:37 am

hi folks. i ran into this a couple years ago, and found alot of good stuff here. i thought i would post it. i have done alot of smoking my own meat, and a couple years ago built a cold smoker using just a couple 55 gallon drums with a buried 6 inch pipe. basically a polish smoker design. it worked okay, but for sure had its faults. primarily the insulation factor being all metal. i am going to rebuild with this in mind. its small, but thats ok. http://theownerbuildernetwork.co/easy-d ... mokehouse/
this other site is good to with alot of recipes. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/200 ... house.html
i have made those fattys, and man they are good. i made the homemade stuffer too.
just thought i would share this.
bobrun4172

Equipment type: super fast milli distillery

Re: smokehouses, and recipes

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:43 am

i should note that on cowlgirls site i built that same firebox on her smoker, but for me i dont like it much. i am going the other route with the fire brick design on the first post
bobrun4172

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:03 am

i decided to show my ( primative ) cold smoker. yeah it works, but like i said i am gonna quit being so cheap :D
Attachments
20131005_130440.jpg
bobrun4172

Postby bobrun4172 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:06 am

the reason why i mentioned this doesnt work very effecient is because of moisture. it creates alot of it, and of course you dont want moisture smoking
bobrun4172

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Jeanie cooks good...
Your efforts look good too!
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby bobrun4172 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:20 am

thanks rebel. i posted that primarily to prevent someone from using that design. the design worked for maintaining lower temps for cold smoking, but for one like mentioned the moisture was bad. even to start out there would be condensation inside the barrel. 2. the firebox even though has air inlets wasnt that effecient either. 3. i had to lift that big smokestack, and lid to access the meat.
sooo....yeah live, and learn. the good news i can still use my parts for other things, and some for the new smokehouse :D i can use all those rocks for another spiral herb garden too.
bobrun4172

Postby okie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Where I grew up they used old ice boxes (fridges) for the actual smoker. It's insulated and the door seals tight. They pot a small hole in the top and added a pipe with a flapper that can be adjusted to control smoke and they put a larger hole in the side or back for smoke input. Another thing they did was to have the fire on a lower elevation like down hill a bit. On level ground they put the ice box up on blocks.

I like that smokehouse. Wish I had a place for one.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby bobrun4172 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi okie. I had a old fridge years ago, and it did work good.the real old ones were the best. The dome type. A friend of mine has a electric one, and it works good, and from other posts I have seen some nice ones. I kinda orient my things to non electrc just in case the lights go out for a long time. If I didnt have alot of room I would look into a electric one. I am sure as you know the folks here are great for helping out. Thanks okie.
bobrun4172

Postby Dfitz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 pm

okie wrote:Where I grew up they used old ice boxes (fridges) for the actual smoker. It's insulated and the door seals tight. They pot a small hole in the top and added a pipe with a flapper that can be adjusted to control smoke and they put a larger hole in the side or back for smoke input. Another thing they did was to have the fire on a lower elevation like down hill a bit. On level ground they put the ice box up on blocks.

Fridge Smokers work great and last for quite a few years. There are those that like the electric version but I prefer using coals in mine.
Dfitz

Postby sasquatch » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:31 pm

I used an old fridge also.
I have a hotplate on a thermostat with a cast iron pan filled with the wood for smoke.
On the cold days I was not getting enough heat so I took the heating element out of an old dishwasher and added in with the hotplate and now I have all the heat I need.

Before this I tried lots of different type of smokers and found that they all work fine.
It comes down to volume capacity.
They were to small.

I have seen fish smoked in a empty 24 beer box.
The trick is to find or make one and stick to it.
Figure out the bugs and then you are golden.
When you jump back and fore trying different smokers you never fine tune it.
And it is the fine tuning that creates the magic of the smoke.
Smoke on.
sasquatch

Postby bobrun4172 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm

hey guys this got me thinking ( oh boy )....and perhaps this might be better in another topic post, but anyway what i would like to do is have a dual cold / hot smoker. in my pic with the ugly drum cold smoker it is designed just for that. cold smoke done in the winter with smoking CURED meat at temps around 90f. its not designed to cook.
in the background is my combo grill/ hot smoker. i use this year round. the problem with it is its too small.
so my idea is this. if you took a refrigerator like shown, and with its fire box is the hot smoker. then on the opposite side placed another firebox about 6 feet away with 6 inch pipe feeding into the bottom like the hot side.
your probably thinking well why dont you just move your firebox like shown further away and connect a 6 foot pipe when needed. well you could, but from the size of fire box it looks small. a bigger firebox means less tending. i typically get a good amount of coals going, and add my wood on the outside edges of the coals.
my point is i dont want to have to baby sit the smoker as much hence dual bigger fireboxes. well with bigger fireboxes i dont really want to be moving it around.
soooo......what do you think?
i have never seen a dual set up, but should work.
bobrun4172

Postby bobrun4172 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:28 pm

hey guys just thought i would share this since we are talking about smokers. i got this book awhile back, and its probably one of the best i have seen. its got it all!
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Production-Q ... 0982426739
bobrun4172

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Yep, smokers are like stills. You gotta learn to drive them right to get what you want.

It's time for some cold smoked cheese!
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby bobrun4172 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:10 pm

in my case rebel i now know a thousand things that wont work, but closer to knowing what does. :D

heck yeah on the cheese.......fortunately i live in prime amish country. i also get the best cheese from http://www.pennmac.com/
i used to not know fine cheese from shit, but this italian engineer i work with is married to a woman from spain, and i tell you what bud between the two i found the best cheese i ever ate.!
i dont even have to run that shit wine i make :doh: ..........you get ya a good hunk of that cheese, and deal with it......however dont buy italian crackers......they suck.
bobrun4172

Postby punkin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:34 pm

You could just use a smoke generator on your offset. A mate has been building and retailling these and dropped one in to me on the weekend as a gift. Dunno that i'll ever use it but i may.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Next

Return to Food