• Advertisement

Pickled Chillies

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Pickled Chillies

Postby punkin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Had a look through the food section and couldn't find what i am looking for. I just bought a stack of dried and smoked chillies but my jalapeno bushes are bearing more than i can eat and i'd like to pickle some for use on piuzzas and sandwitches etc.

I also have some Thai Scuds that i love to chop up and marinade in soy sauce etc, but the texture is not as pleasing (too chewy) when raw and i'd like to pickle them to give them that soft crunch.

So i'm after anyones favourite killer methods.

Chilli teaser of the box that arrived this morning...

chillisdried1.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Re: Pickled Chillies

Postby PalinkaGus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:06 am

Punkin, what I normally do with my jalepenos, slice them into rings, put in jars and fill jars with boiling 5% vinegar with a little salt and sugar. Seal jars, cool and enjoy! Found a jar from a few years ago. Didn't think it would be good, but I tried anyway and they were delicious! Mix the jalepeno infused vinegar with olive oil, minced garlic, chopped cilantro and whatever else you have in the cupboard for a killer spicy vinegrette.
PalinkaGus

Postby vb » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:37 pm

PalinkaGus wrote:Punkin, what I normally do with my jalepenos, slice them into rings, put in jars and fill jars with boiling 5% vinegar with a little salt and sugar. Seal jars, cool and enjoy! Found a jar from a few years ago. Didn't think it would be good, but I tried anyway and they were delicious! Mix the jalepeno infused vinegar with olive oil, minced garlic, chopped cilantro and whatever else you have in the cupboard for a killer spicy vinegrette.

yup couldn't be easier.
did a bunch of habeneros a while back, used straight vinegar, that came out almost sweet flavored.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby punkin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks guys, all the recipes i found on the net had a very watery brine that had to keep in the fridge. Any idea on quantity of salt and sugar?

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby PalinkaGus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:08 am

punkin wrote:Thanks guys, all the recipes i found on the net had a very watery brine that had to keep in the fridge. Any idea on quantity of salt and sugar?

I added by taste. For a gallon of vinegar I'd say start with 1 tablespoon salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Adjust to your liking.
PalinkaGus

Postby punkin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks, so not very much at all.

punkin

Postby Rebel_Yell » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:18 pm

I like to use 2 percent salt by weight and lacto ferment my Jalapenos. I get sour, hot and semi crisp.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Rebel_Yell wrote:I like to use 2 percent salt by weight and lacto ferment my Jalapenos. I get sour, hot and semi crisp.

This is exactly how I'd do it. Possibly try 2.25 and 2.5% NaCl as well for longer keeping. Account for the weight of the water in the peppers when calculating the NaCl conc......
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby punkin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Uncle fester sent me some salinometers the other month, might be a good chance to try them. Thanks.

Do you boil and add then seal jars like normal Reb or do they need to breath etc?

punkin

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:45 pm

I believe Reb's referring to fermentation with the indigenous lactic acid bacteria on the vegetables. So yeah, the vessels should breathe. Jalapeno kimchi/kraut. I've kept cabbage unrefrigerated (but cool) in the crock for six months and it was still crunchy.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

zedzedtop

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:28 pm

ZZ is correct about my methods. I ferment in gallon pickle jars and store in the fridge. Over a year with still yummy crunch.
If you want to can, you'll need to heat it enough to kill the lacto. It will not be as crunchy because of the cooking, but will still be good. I would use the guidelines for canning fermented dill pickles.

I really enjoy using ripe jalapenos and garlic to make a sour and hot paste. Food process 'em and add salt. Eat when you can't wait anymore until gone and wish for more.

I have used a calcium hydroxide (lime) soak to make my pickles crisper. I have not yet carried this process over to peppers... yet.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:35 am

Removing the stem and stem butt from cucumbers helps with keeping them crunchy during a lacto ferment. Not sure if it would help in the case of peppers, which aren't exactly crunchy in the same sense as cukes. I've put a big wad of grape leaves (tannins) in too with good results.

zedzedtop

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Hmm, grape leaves. I see what the tannins will do. I have had some pretty Greek food that involved grape leaves. Good call ZZ.
I too trim the ends on for all my cucumber base pickles.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby punkin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 pm

PalinkaGus wrote:Punkin, what I normally do with my jalepenos, slice them into rings, put in jars and fill jars with boiling 5% vinegar with a little salt and sugar. Seal jars, cool and enjoy! Found a jar from a few years ago. Didn't think it would be good, but I tried anyway and they were delicious! Mix the jalepeno infused vinegar with olive oil, minced garlic, chopped cilantro and whatever else you have in the cupboard for a killer spicy vinegrette.

Used your method to do some little hot Thais scuds today. I put some salt, sugar, a star anise and some szechuan peppercorns and mixed peppercorns in the vinegar as it boiled.

Looks pretty good, i'll see how they are in a few weeks. I chop them up for dipping sauces, they are a great chilli. Got a lot more zing than the long red thai chillies we get in the supermarket, but heaps of flavour. My local Chinese place does them as a chilli soy sauce sliced up. It's a top sauce, but i reckon they have them pickled as they have that particular crunch. That's what i'm trying to replicate.
I like that the burn is not all mouth burn, but a general heat on the lips, mouth, throat and in the belly.
I don't like that they play up with my guts, but where there's pleasure there has to be pain.

pickledchillis1.jpg

punkin

Return to Food