• Advertisement

Red Hot Pickle

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Red Hot Pickle

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sun May 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Buy one gallon whole kosher dill pickles, drain the juice and set aside, quarter the pickles, 6 habenaro peppers or hotter slit open and added to jar, replace pickles in jar. Add 3 cups 190 proof everclear grain alcohol to jar. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and one package strawberry, cherry or other red koolaid to the pickle juice. Stir until mixed. Then fill the jar to the top with the koolaid / pickle juice combo. Let set 2 weeks shaking the jar ever few days.... they first taste sweet. Then sour then hotter and hotter then you get a buzz!
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Re: Red Hot Pickle

Postby just sayin' » Mon May 18, 2015 7:02 am

Sound interesting, RY. I love the concept of getting pickled while you eat pickles! Kind of like have a bowl of peachs after you pour off the panty dropper. Did you invent this one? Another big plus is a great new free gallon jar when you are done! Run that juice thru your pot still when your done? That would be different, hot pickle Gin, brandy, ah heck, it would be hot pickle shine...

I love Famous Dave's sweet & hot pickles, but they are a little too mild. I could kick them up a knotch, to use a little Emeral lingo...

Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon May 18, 2015 12:23 pm

It is not my original recipe. I tweaked it a bit. Add some boiled eggs to the juice after the pickles.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby just sayin' » Mon May 18, 2015 2:20 pm

I do pickled beets with eggs at Easter. That sound good! Home at lunch I thought I would throw together a little experiment. I filled a half pint Mason jar with Famous Dave's pickle slices, a heaping teaspoon of fresh red pepper flake, filled with 190 proof and pickle juice. We will see how that works.
I have a gallon of Mt. Olive dill pickles in the basement that I will try your recipe on next.
just sayin'

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon May 18, 2015 4:08 pm

I like the Mt Olive dills for this recipe. Let us know how the Famous Dave's turns out. I have heard good things about that pickle but, I won't eat BBQ in most places so have not tried them.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby just sayin' » Mon May 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Reb,
They are mad good pickles! I got home from work and had a couple of pickles. I love my booze, but these must have been about 130 proof. I moved them to a larger jar and added pickle juice. Just tried a few more. The ethanol is back in bounds and they are already getting HOT! They are not yet crazy hot because the lint in my belly button has not burst into flames. Reb, you are defiantly on to something here! I do love our forums!
My brother-in-law, his son and I finished 3 bottles of oaky Spanish wine and a bottle of fine Redbreast Single Pot Stilled Irish whiskey at our river camp, last Memorial Day. We had had a feast featuring charcoal grilled chicken and many Famous Dave's and Costco horseradish dill pickles. The whiskey was passed around the campfire until it was gone, we had a little help with the drink but not much.
I hope I can push your recipe for Sunday night. My B-I-L is supplying the drink this year, I am doing the food.
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 18, 2015 10:56 pm

Costco also does a very nice pickled beet, and I toss hardboiled eggs into the leftover juice for a few weeks, and they are delicious. No alcohol or heat (where's the fun in that?), but I love 'em anyway.

I've tried eggs pickled in Famous Dave's juice, and they're good, but not as good as the beet-pickled eggs.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby just sayin' » Tue May 19, 2015 6:33 am

ZBob,
I will have to try Costco's pickled beets. I am a big fan of Costco, their own products are usually better than the big named brands. I will have to steam up some hard boiled eggs and try them in the Famous Dave's juice (also a Costco purchase).
just sayin'

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 am

Glad that you like your version. This is why we share ideas.
Push em if ya needs to. They are kinda like whisky though. Aging sure helps to marry all the flavors. I would probably use some heat to put the sugar into solution a little quicker. Might add the peppers too just don't want them soggy and limp. Let it cool well before adding to pickles.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby just sayin' » Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks, Reb! You are right, you cannot duplicate time in the barrel or jar as the case may be.
just sayin'

Postby Mud » Tue May 19, 2015 11:21 am

I clicked on this thinking Reb was gonna tell us how he got his nickname in the slammer.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue May 19, 2015 11:57 am

Food. Mud, food.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Return to Food