• Advertisement

Potato Salad

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Potato Salad

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 am

Just out of curiosity, what characterizes a Southern-style potato salad?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Re: Rib

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon May 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Well, mostly because it's the way my mamma made it and she was a Southern woman. Most all the homemade potato salad I've ever had was made in the South using the same general recipe, so I guess that's why I describe it as Southern style. It's potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayo, sour cream, mustard, celery, onions, chopped sweet gherkins, apple cider vinegar, a touch of sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. The only other kind of potato salad I've ever had was something called German style. It was nothing like what I described as Southern style. Do folks in the North eat potato salad?
S-Cackalacky

Postby Mud » Mon May 30, 2016 4:35 pm

We do. It seems like Southern style has more mustard but I'm not sure.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby punkin » Mon May 30, 2016 5:20 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:Well, mostly because it's the way my mamma made it and she was a Southern woman. Most all the homemade potato salad I've ever had was made in the South using the same general recipe, so I guess that's why I describe it as Southern style. It's potatoes, mustard, hard boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, sour cream, mustard, celery, onions, chopped sweet mustard gherkins, apple mustard cider vinegar, a touch of sugar, and salt, mustard and pepper to taste. And heaps of fucking mustard. The only other kind of potato salad I've ever had was something called German style. It was nothing like what I described as Southern style. Do folks in the North eat potato salad?

Mud wrote:We do. It seems like Southern style has more mustard but I'm not sure.

Why do you say that Mud?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Mud » Mon May 30, 2016 5:35 pm

A dim memory? Most of the potato salad I've had (up north) had little or no mustard. But a quick Google search showed a fair amount more in the recipes than I'm accustomed to.

Probably shouldn't have even mentioned it because I really don't know what made me think that.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby punkin » Mon May 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Mud wrote:A dim memory? Most of the potato salad I've had (up north) had little or no mustard. But a quick Google search showed a fair amount more in the recipes than I'm accustomed to.

Probably shouldn't have even mentioned it because I really don't know what made me think that.

You didn't read the quotes in my post did you?

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Mud » Mon May 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Guess not. :oops: :lol:
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon May 30, 2016 7:56 pm

Hmm, I don't recall any of it ever having all that much mustard in it. To give some perspective - the one I made used about 4 lbs. of potatoes and had maybe 2 Tbsp of mustard in it. I don't use a written recipe - little bit of this, little bit of that. By comparison, it had about a cup of sour cream and about a half cup of mayo. Mamma would have used all mayo (no sour cream). I think the sour cream gives it a little more mellow flavor.

Punkin, I think you been eatin' too much of that store-bought shit. :barf:
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Ok, except for the mayo, instead of which Mom used a home-made cooked dressing (cider vinegar, egg, sugar, butter, and cream), that sounds a lot like what I grew up on. Mom grew up in Iowa, which is probably where her recipe came form..

I like the German style, too, but you're right; it's way different.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby punkin » Tue May 31, 2016 12:45 am

Not me bud, i'm a salad dodger from way back. Meat and bread for this little punkin.

punkin

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue May 31, 2016 11:51 am

OK ZB, so, my claim is that what makes it "Southern style" is the mayo (preferably Duke's). How's that? I make that claim because I know that Northerners are more into that Miracle Whip crap.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Mud » Tue May 31, 2016 11:52 am

That's a dirty thing to say.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue May 31, 2016 12:13 pm

I don't know Mud - must be a latitudinal thing. My research says that Miracle Whip is most preferred by Canadians. You being somewhere between the deep South and Canada, preference might be more debatable.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue May 31, 2016 12:53 pm

Interestingly, Mom's home-made potato salad dressing tasted more like MiracleWhip than mayonnaise. Speaking of which, Punkin-the-foody, isn't there a name for kind of sauce where you "dissolve" raw egg in acid, often vinegar, but could be citrus juice, and then cook it to a creamy texture? That's the basis of Mom's sauce, and I use it for a pungent sweet-sour hot mustard sauce.

Anyway, I'm a diabetic, and potatoes are carb bombs and easy for me to avoid, so I don't make potato salad, but if I did, I'd use mayo. Probably home-made. And sorta like the Tina Fey-Sara Palin gag, another 40 miles and I could see Canada from my front porch.

Zymurgy Bob

Re: Potato Salad

Postby punkin » Tue May 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Dunno Bob, i'm a cook not a foodie or a chef. If i was a chef i'd know the name of Hollandaise sauce but i'm not so i don't.

punkin

Next

Return to Food