• Advertisement

Potato Salad

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Re: Potato Salad

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm glad you like it. It was an attempt to knock off a sauce that a local (Southern Oregon, then) Chinese restaurant had (in used ketchup bottles) on every table. We tried for years to figure what was in it, and one day I remembered Mom's old potato salad dressing, and it got me thinking of the acid-egg thing. As far as the potato salad thing, Mom died when I was pretty young, and I'm not sure I could re-create her dressing.

As far as Cultus Bay Distillery goes, just Friday we got word that our license is approved, although we don't have the paper yet. You'd think (or I did) that after all these years of distilling, I could just do all of this stuff off the top of my head, but it turns out I have to solve new problems what seems like every step of the way.

I've got a sound book outline, and it's mostly about filling it in with trying to un-stupid myself, so it's definitely a work in progress.

Oh, that magic centrifugal wash filter? So far it's half a success; it de-gasses fresh carbonated wort very nicely, and it takes out some of the flocculated yeast, but it won't deal with that yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenter (yet, I tell myself). I guess I'm at about half-a-boob right now.

Here's a link to the chapter in a cookbook I never finished, that tells the story of the mustard sauce.
http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/Cookbook/Chapter2.pdf
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:34 am

ZB, excellent write up on mustard and the pink sauce recipe. Your writing style is very enjoyable - even when the subject is something as mundane as mustard. You have me wanting to try your egg/acid sauce technique. I've only ever used dry mustard as an emulsifier when making vinegar/oil type dressings and marinades. The pink sauce is something I think I might like to try.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:39 am

BTW, congratulations on getting your license approval. Does this mean you can finally run your CCVM?
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:30 am

Speaking of Southern style food - I found this funny video on Youtube. It has nothing to do with potato salad, but might lend some perspective.

S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:46 am

And, Americans (Northerners?) eating Southern food:

S-Cackalacky

Postby just sayin' » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:56 am

Z-Bob,

Thank you for your reply! Now I am looking forward to your cookbook too! I agree whole heartedly with SC, your writing style is both clear and enjoyable. I have been a fan from my early days as a forum lurker. I treasure your first book. As I have stated many times here and on other forums, "Your book is a must have!" Old timer or newb, your library is not complete without Z-Bob's fine book!
I am going to have to try your Swiss steak recipe. It sound excellent! I am in the camp that does not enjoy liver in any form, but I am going to take you at your word and give nutmeg chicken liver with pink sauce a try.

Glad to hear your second book is in the works. Great news on the license! Having to think thru and solve new challenges as they arise is a great joy when it works. I still find the "Magic Centrifuge" fascinating, I appreciate the up date.

Good luck in all your projects!

Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby just sayin' » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:04 pm

SC,
Thanks for the videos!
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:55 pm

just sayin' wrote:I am in the camp that does not enjoy liver in any form, but I am going to take you at your word and give nutmeg chicken liver with pink sauce a try.

Well, I won't twist your arm, and make you eat something you don't like, but if you're really on the fence add more fresh nutmeg to the flour, make sure the liver is crunchy, and make the pink sauce hot as hell. You may never even notice the liver. :D
S-Cackalacky wrote:BTW, congratulations on getting your license approval. Does this mean you can finally run your CCVM?

Thanks. I plan on doing the first vodka mash tomorrow, which will be 2 strippersful, and another (2 strippersful) the day after. After 3 stripper runs, dependent on our actually having the paper license in hand, then we can run the vodka still, and you'll be the first (at least online) to hear.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby just sayin' » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Z-Bob, no arm twisting. It sound good. Glad you are getting into production, hope the CCVM runs as expected>
just sayin'

Postby Azframer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:21 pm

punkin wrote:Never seen so many blokes with such strong views about salad. :)

Hey Hey Hey, potato salad is a salad for the meat potato kind of guy, most of us don't eat rabbit food, we eat 2nd hand vegetables. I protect the vegetarians meal by making a meal out of what eats all their food.

Rick
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby punkin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:39 pm

So potato salad is vegetable steak?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Azframer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:48 pm

punkin wrote:So potato salad is vegetable steak?

No not at all, potato salad is a good side dish for us guys that are not to fond of the fluffy green salads and salad dressings some eat.

Rick
Friends call me Rick
Azframer

Postby punkin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Nummus makes a good side salad.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Azframer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Never heard of it, I had to look it up, found these 2 blokes .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_rQjlxP9c

Rick
Friends call me Rick
Azframer

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Azframer wrote:... we eat 2nd hand vegetables.

I beg your pardon??!! When I eat a vegetable, I want absolutely positive assurance that I'm the first person to eat that particular vegetable! (although I've tasted beer that tasted like someone else had drunk it first)

Zymurgy Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Food