• Advertisement

Summer Project-Pickled Cucumbers

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Re: Summer Project-Pickled Cucumbers

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:29 pm

I did 20lbs or so of fermented pickles earlier this summer and I ended up draining off, boiling the brine and water canning 'em all. Except one jar. That's still alive.. It's my little test batch to let me know if I can just do 'em in a 5 gallon bucket and leave 'em in the cold room.. After a period of activity, they seem pretty stable now.. Brine is clearing.

Also, including cuke mass as water I only did a "half-sour" which is 2.5% brine.. Turned out just the right amount of salty for my taste.. Coworker guinea pigs agreed.. I don't think I'd take it much higher.

Currently fermenting a work buddy's peppers that were "too hot" for an attempt at hot sauce. :)
Cap'n Canuck

Postby punkin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:41 pm

Cucumber plants are cropping wildly and i have the pickles down pretty pat now.

I have settled on a 3.7% brine strength which is slightly on the salty side and a 7 day warm ferment.
Spices are fennel seed and pepper corns.

ATM i am doing a comparo tween oak leaves and grape leaves for the tannin to keep em crisp.

It's a really quick process in the mornings for me now when Bourbon Girl brings in a half bucket of these little beauties.
Make a brine by adding 37 grams of celtic sea salt to a litre of water. Add a ten or twelve peppercorns and a small handful of fennel seeds with some dill strands and cover with grape leaves. Wash the gherkins and trim the stalk end off under the tap and add to the jar, add the brine to the top and put a press seal bag full of brine or water on top as an airlock. Put on a tray and record the date.

pickles3.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Pa_bon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Looks good. Sounds like you have your method down. Doing for yourself is a damn good thing.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:40 pm

punkin wrote:Cucumber plants are cropping wildly and i have the pickles down pretty pat now.

I have settled on a 3.7% brine strength which is slightly on the salty side and a 7 day warm ferment.
Spices are fennel seed and pepper corns.

ATM i am doing a comparo tween oak leaves and grape leaves for the tannin to keep em crisp.

It's a really quick process in the mornings for me now when Bourbon Girl brings in a half bucket of these little beauties.
Make a brine by adding 37 grams of celtic sea salt to a litre of water. Add a ten or twelve peppercorns and a small handful of fennel seeds with some dill strands and cover with grape leaves. Wash the gherkins and trim the stalk end off under the tap and add to the jar, add the brine to the top and put a press seal bag full of brine or water on top as an airlock. Put on a tray and record the date.

pickles3.jpg

You're probably pretty close to my 2.5% half sour if you are just brining the water. I count the mass of the cukes themselves as water when doing the salt calculations.

I've no experience, but I'm told that it's the flower end that needs trimming, because sites there make a softening enzyme. I trim 'em.

Grape leaves work a peach. Oak is supposed to be similar, but I have grapevines, and no oak trees, so I'm no help there.

Tis just about time to try the ones that have been left to ferment since summer.. Hopefully they don't suck, cause the idea of my own pickle barrel makes me happy. Also, I don't much like canning. :)
Cap'n Canuck

Postby punkin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Sorry yes, i typed 'stalk end' but i trim the flower end for the reasons that you say. Don't know where that came from.

The flower end is easy to tell on these cues as it's a lighter colour.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby pintoshine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:39 pm

I had a friend teach me bout brining pickles when I was young. It is kind of hard to keep the pickles ferm. He taught me the trick of adding a couple fresh grape leaves. There tannins or something keeps the flesh firm and prevents mushiness.
I later learned that cutting off the blossom end removed the enzyme that cause the pickles to go soft.
I found I prefer a small variety of Krauts better though. I know this is just a repeat of information already given but I though it interesting that I learned that at a very young age. I realized a while back I have been actively fermenting since I was a child. I guess that is not that unusual for people my age or older having been exposed to traditional European style food preservation.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:49 pm

pintoshine wrote:I had a friend teach me bout brining pickles when I was young. It is kind of hard to keep the pickles ferm. He taught me the trick of adding a couple fresh grape leaves. There tannins or something keeps the flesh firm and prevents mushiness.
I later learned that cutting off the blossom end removed the enzyme that cause the pickles to go soft.
I found I prefer a small variety of Krauts better though. I know this is just a repeat of information already given but I though it interesting that I learned that at a very young age. I realized a while back I have been actively fermenting since I was a child. I guess that is not that unusual for people my age or older having been exposed to traditional European style food preservation.

Tis always good to ground the internet knowledge from time to time. Not often we get the chance to do that..
Cap'n Canuck

Previous

Return to Food