• Advertisement

Wheat Question

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Wheat Question

Postby txbrewing » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Basically how much is too much?

I can mash and ferment all grain, have been doing to for 10 years on the beer brewing side of the house.

This is the grain bill for my American Wheat Beer, and might be the first thing i run through the still (after the cleaning runs).
I might replace the CaraVienne with a darker crystal or even up to about 5 lb of flaked corn

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Red Wheat (50%)
8 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (40%)
2 lb - Belgian - CaraVienne (10%)

A few other questions that just came to mind:
1. can I use the backset from the Sac run?
2. Would I gain any flavour if I mashed something like the above and then used it as the base for an UJSSM

TXB
txbrewing

Re: Wheat Question

Postby punkin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 pm

I have seen people recommend using only the first wort and then using the soarge water for strike water in the next batch. Should raise the OG significantly.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Mud » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:09 pm

punkin wrote:I have seen people recommend using only the first wort and then using the soarge water for strike water in the next batch. Should raise the OG significantly.

The first person I ever heard that from was Goose Eye. Probably. He writes in fucking hieroglyphics so it's about impossible to search. But that seems right.

txbrewing wrote:Would I gain any flavour if I mashed something like the above and then used it as the base for an UJSSM

TXB

You could but it would be a crying shame.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby rgreen2002 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:22 pm

txbrewing wrote:A few other questions that just came to mind:
1. can I use the backset from the Sac run?

I wouldn't use anything from my sac run except maybe for making fires and cleaning.

As far as too much, just calculate your PPG and you will know if you're on track with the mash.
"Me fail English... that's unpossible!"
rgreen2002

Equipment type: 4" flute - up to 5 plates (Bubble Cap and Sieve Plates available)

Return to Miscellaneous