• Advertisement

Z Bob's Angel Blaster

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Z Bob's Angel Blaster

Postby Pa_bon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 am

I went ahead and built one,

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

Put a bypass on it from the start because in his book the point was stated that this should be a violent push of air and as common sense would show it could push contents out of a container. I have 15 gal kegs filled to 13 gals then sticks added to that. There is not much head space. With the bypass you can set it and forget it. I have used it a couple of time over the months and can definitely smell what ZBob describes in his book. Even though I believe I make conservative cuts on the front end there are nasties in there.

I was just wondering of those who use this thing, how often do you apply and for how long?

Thanks.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Re: Z Bob's Angel Blaster

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:04 am

Never seen this before. Can you describe what it is and what it does - a link maybe? Per your write up, I assume it's used in the aging process.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:45 am

Hey, Pa,

You're living proof that if somebody throws an idea out on the forums, sooner or later it'll come back better. Your angel blaster is way slicker than mine, and not that I'm doing commercial, I'll steal your idea back, if that's ok.

Before I proof vodka (and gin base) I blast once, for perhaps 2 minutes. amd it seems to "soften" the vodka. Customers comment on that. For the aged Irish, I blast for a couple of minutes after the white goes into the carboy. After a few months aging, I oxygenate the whiskey gently with a stainless airstone and O2, to hasten oxidation of the wood compounds to mellower compounds.

SC, the angel blaster comes from my trying to replicate all the aging processes that occur while aging in a barrel in a rick house. One of those processes is evaporation through the slightly porous oak barrel, which fills the rick house with what we call the angel's share. This is beneficial for exactly the same reason that a potstill evaporates selectively, with the harshest compounds coming more heavily at first. Passing air violently through the spirits effects this cold evaporation.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Pa_bon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 am

ZBob, take it and run my friend. I just thought I'd modify it to suit my application. For long term aging, say three to five years aged in stainless kegs, would you continue to blast or oxygenate with the stone and O2? I am building up stock for longer term aging and would like an informed opinion on this if you have one. BTW, I'd like to hear any opinions.

Thanks Folks.
Overhead the albatross

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby punkin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:Never seen this before. Can you describe what it is and what it does - a link maybe? Per your write up, I assume it's used in the aging process.

http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Here you go S.

It's damn fine book and you'll read it more than once.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:18 am

Pa, I'd blast once when the liquor goes into the aging vessel, wait until the wood compound extraction (using color as a gauge) is far advanced, maybe 5 or 6 months, and then oxygenate once.

Then wait as long as you can stand it. :D
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Pa_bon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Z Bob, when you go 2 minutes in a carboy, what volume is that? Does blasting time increase with increased volume? Would the same apply to the O2 and air stone? Thanks.
Overhead the albatross

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am

Pa, that's with a 7 gallon carboy. I've never had a chance to do anything larger, but just pulling it outta my ass, I think I'd double the time for double the volume. This isn't very scientific or hugely researched, but I think I'd do the same for oxygenation.

All that uncertainty notwithstanding, the 2 processes work, and the liquor gets better. Sorry I have nothing more definitive. If you can nail it down further, let us know.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Pa_bon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:40 am

Z Bob, that seemed to be the logical leap. Everything is on oak now. At 6 months I'll give it the O2 treatment and see what gives.

Thank you sir...................
Overhead the albatross

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Return to Miscellaneous