• Advertisement

What can we learn from Russian forums?

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Re: What can we learn from Russian forums?

Postby Y1969 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm

I understood.
We in Russia have a city of Rostov and the city of Krasnodar. If a guy from Rostov called Krasnodar - you can get in the face.
in Russian it is pronounced so:
"Если ростовского пацана назвать краснодарским - можно получить в рыло"
Y1969

Equipment type: packed column

Postby The Baker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 pm

I worked with a polish baker...

He asked a Russian for matches and was lucky not to be punched.
If I remember the story, the Polish word for matches is a very rude word in Russian.

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby cemik1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I don't think so. It was because old traditional friendship between both nations.
cemik1

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm

How do you spell it when you snort/laugh with you hand over your face?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Kareltje » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

cemik1 wrote:I don't think so. It was because old traditional friendship between both nations.

Really? Friendship between these nations? :mg:
Kareltje

Postby Kareltje » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:02 pm

I guess I already mentioned it, but I had problems with a soapy taste in my birdwatchers of past year. So I studied ways of cleaning it. Tried different ways of distilling: diluting to less than 20 % and running it again slowly 3 times. Running with a thumper with clean water. Activated carbon. Nothing did really do the trick.
Found a mention of cleaning with milk. On a german forum it was suggested that fusel oils were dissolved in the fat of the milk, so I tried whole milk and cream. Did not convince me.
On Russian forums it was suggested that the proteins in milk did the trick: the folding chains would catch the longer nasty molecules and then precipitate. So I made a test: one portion with skimmed (fatfree) milk, one with whole milk, one with a compound called Gerbinol (isingglass, casein and silicate) and one with white of egg.
At 11 february I took 1 liter of 76 %ABV and added in total 500 ml of the solution of active ingredient. The active ingredient in all samples would be 35 to 38 grams dry matter. So the % of the sample should be about 50 %ABV.
After mixing I let the samples in my room at ease. The skimmed milk and the egg white formed a very clear layer of fluid over a kind of precipitate. The whole milk and the Gerbinol did not clean up, so I added some drops of lemon juice after a while. That helped the Gerbinol very well, but the whole milk stayed milky, probably due to the fatdroplets. (Most whole milk is homogenised, to prevent forming of a layer of cream on top.)

After more than a month, on 22 march, this was the result:
skimmed milk vs whole milk:
2018-03-22-01-mager-vol.JPG

Gerbinol vs egg white:
2018-03-22-04-gerbinol-eiwit.JPG
Kareltje

Postby Kareltje » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:04 pm

So I tried to filter all samples through moistened paper covfefe filters. As expected: the skimmed milk and the Gerbinol resulted in a clear filtrate and a small, quite dry rest. The filtrate of the whole milk was still milky looking, but the rest was rather dry. The egg white resulted in a very clear and easily filtered fluid on the top, but then the filter was blocked. The sediment, or rather sinking slime, did not filter at all. I managed to keep it but got about one third of the volume that seemed not usable.

I planned to distill the filtrates again, although on Russian forums sometimes is suggested that the filtrate can be used as such. For this I diluted the filtrates to about 38 %ABV as a standard.
Luckily I just bought a small glass still, exactly suited for this kind of experiments: 2 liter Erlenmeyer, Vigreux-column, Liebig cooler.

Until now I stilled the basic wash again with this still. As a zero-test.
And I stilled the skimmed milk sample.
Using the same format of sampling. I took the first 50 ml as a head. Then took samples of about 100 ml each, in total 10 samples. Running as slowly as my stove can: 360 to 369 W.

In these two runs the first 6 samples slowly changed in taste. All were sampled at an undulating 79 to 80 dgr C. After that the temperature started to rise and these samples were collected as tails.
The soapy taste came up from about the 6th sample.
So: the soapy taste did certainly not precipitate in the proteins: it still was present in the filtrate.

Maybe the next samples will help.
Kareltje

Postby Kareltje » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:31 pm

I ran the sample with gerbinol and found more or less the same results as with the skimmed milk. It is very difficult to compare both series, as I do not have enough sample pots to save them. But after taking about 50 ml of heads I could take about 600 ml of 87 %ABV of not all too bad tasting distillate. It seemed less soapy than the run with skimmed milk.
The backset was slightly orange/red coloured.

I put the filtrate of whole milk and the slimy rest of the egg white and put them in a fridge at - 15 dgr C for a few days. That did not seem to affect the egg white, but resulted in a small deposit in the whole milk sample.
Yesterday I also heated the slimey rest from filtering the egg white slowly to about 65 dgr C. After diluting with 200 ml water and in the Erlenmeyer to prevent loss of alcohol and taste. That is below the denaturing temperature of egg white (71 dgr C), but it worked: today I filtered the mass and I got a very clear, slightly tinted filtrate and a small amount of rather dry rest.

I am thinking about a way to clear the milk sample. Maybe adding some vegetable oil to collect the milk fat droplets.
Kareltje

Postby Kareltje » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:23 pm

I ran the sample with egg white at the same manner and it had a quite strong smell of H2S, almost all the way! I kind of like that smell, but of course it is not wanted in a drink. Luckily after two days of airing it was gone. The rest seemed more clear than the tests until that run, so I took 7 samples into the product. The backset was quite orange, but maybe that is because I used small parts of flowerpots as cooking stones and maybe I had not sufficiently washed and cooked these.

Finally the sample with whole milk. This still was not clear, so I feared for a scorching or something like that. On the Russian forum there were several warnings about a bad smell and taste. But it was not bad, at least it did not scorch. I took again 6 samples to make the product. This time the backset was not orange, but of course it was opaque.

The losses were: 9 % for skimmed milk, 6 % for gerbinol, 12 % for egg white and 10 % for whole milk, calculated over the alcohol.

So now I have 5 samples of product and need someone to try an test the tastes.
Apart from the H2S for now I feel the egg white gives the cleanest result, but maybe someone with finer taste thinks otherwise.
Kareltje

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous