• Advertisement

Post from the SA forum

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Post from the SA forum

Postby Smaug » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 pm

From Gert:

To make Mampoer requires traditional methods and techniques to be used. It is more of a unique method, than a unique spirit. Mampoer, as a spirit, is similar to the French "eau de vie", the German Schnapps, The Irish "poteen" and is technically an unaged fruit brandy with relative high alcohol content (from 45 to 65% abv and sometimes as high as 80% !)

The guidelines for making mampoer:
It should be distilled in a traditional South African style mampoer copper pot still. This still differs from copper alembic pot stills in that the hood is mushroom shaped with reflux running down the hood and directly into a slightly tapered straight "swan's neck" to the condensor.
Traditionally no sugar was added to the fermentation and only wild yeasts were used for fermentation. The fruit (mainly peaches and apricots) were fermented with skin and stones over a fairly long period (i.e. one to three months). Traditionally also, worms were not considered bad in the fruit to be fermented!
Normally mampoer is double or sometimes tripple distilled.
Most fruits are used except grapes. When grapes are fermented and distilled as mampoer is, it is called "withbits" - literally translated as "white thunderbolt"
No intruments other than the distiller's senses is involved during distillation.

True traditional mampoer distilling (called "mampoer stook") is based on traditional methods and is more of a "cultural activity" than a distilling method.

Currently mampoer distilling is deviating more and more from traditional methods with mampoer not being legally defined or protected by iternational treaties such as Cognac, Champagne, Tequila or Whisky, Port or Sherry.

There is an annual mampoer festival in South Africa where mampoer stokers (distillers) gather for their yearly display of products, competitions, and discussions on mampoer distilling.
The name "mampoer" is thought to have been the name of a indigenous tribal chief called "Mampuru" who apparently caught a great liking in this "fire water".

Certain spirit products have been exported as "mampoer" ... just later to be found being diluted neutral alcohol flavoured lightly. Luckily this has been stopped.

Traditionally, hunters who shoot their first game (Most impala, kudu or blesbok) have to down a rather large amount (i.e. three tots) of super strong mamapoer! This tradition has spread to neighbouring countries like Botswana and especially Namibia as well.

For more information on Mampoer, visit the website of the Cultural distillers Guild in South Africa at http://www.mampoersa.co.za (unfortunately the site is only in Afrikaans)
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Re: Post from the SA forum

Postby myles » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:06 am

Very interesting Larry, and it brings back memories, I had a neighbour that used to run one of these with a folded up wet towel on the top of the dome. I stumbled over this following the links.

No idea if the proportions are considered to be "fixed" or if you can get away with changing the ratios.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby Bushman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:42 am

Had trouble posting this reply (will try again). I split my screen on windows7 with google translate and your link. It was easy to go from page to page and I was suprised how well everything translated across. Good read, thanks for sharing.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Smaug » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Gert from the SA forum also explains that this particular style or method should include a wood fueled heat source rather than gas or electric.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby myles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:33 am

Just curious, is anyone here actually using one of these? I have seen one but have not used one myself.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Return to Miscellaneous