• Advertisement

Good so far, fun with macerations..

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Good so far, fun with macerations..

Postby astrangebrew » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Nine months back I put up some 94% ethanol in the cold room - macerating a couple vanilla pods in 400ml and a handful of cinnamon bark in 1.1L. There is also 7.5L soaking some toasted French limousine oak sticks (that's for whiskey based concoctions). I've checked on them from time to time but now the cinnamon finally seemed ready.

I cut the cinnamon down 60/40 with distilled water in order to get the flavour just about to right strength. It was rather good but the taste was slightly lacking. Today I added a small dash of the vanilla (a little too such so I had to balance it back with a little more cinnamon) and when finished it is just right. It is brilliant neat with an ice cube. The smell is a nice cinnamon, the colour is a dusty rose.

I don't know what to call it yet (any suggestions?) I suspect that there are probably a number of recipes it could be applied to as well. It obviously isn't going to last as long as that Thai Terror I made a couple of years back (still got half a bottle). I suspect that a citrus note would be a good addition as well. I imagine popular tastes might like it sweeter (but not for me). This needs to be developed into a more rigorous recipe which I'll will work on shortly.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
astrangebrew

Equipment type: 30L, 2"VM, 24CAL, 1500W electric

Re: Good so far, fun with macerations..

Postby prairiepiss » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:27 pm

My Mr P's fire piss I macerate about 8 cinnamon sticks in 95%. Around 30 days I pull some out and dilute it with a simple sugar syrup to 30% to 40%. Really good stuff. I also add a little of the in diluted cinnamon alcohol into my marichino cherries. I've added it to a whiskey Apple pie peach pie. You name it it will work. I don't know if I ever posted my Fire piss recipe here or not? I mite have to do that.

Edited. Here I went ahead and posted it.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6682
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Return to Miscellaneous