• Advertisement

Peated oak chips?

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Peated oak chips?

Postby BlueFlame » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Has anyone tried to smoke some toasted/charred oak chips to add to the aging jar to give it a little Scotch peated flavor? I know they sell peated malted barley, but in the event you wanted to add a little scotch flavor to a medium oaked whiskey. I was thinking when I get a chance to do a whiskey run to take a little peat moss and put some in foil with a few oak chips and let the peat smoke get on and in the chips.
"somebody call me a doctor, i need a shot!"
BlueFlame

Equipment type: ss milk can "propane" with about 3' of 2" copper colume and liebeg cooler. getting ready for over haul.

Re: Peated oak chips?

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:47 am

Harry's "essence of peat reek" is essentially smoked, toasted oak shavings, and the procedure is here somewhere. Note that American peat moss (sphagnum moss), and Scottish or Irish peat are 2 completely different animals, but maybe sphagnum moss can work. I've got some Irish peat I swapped a UK stillin' buddy for.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Beerswimmer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:26 pm

I bought some Irish peat online to make a Scotch once. You could use it to smoke anything really. You could smoke some (damp) grains and then add them to your jars?
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby BlueFlame » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 pm

thats a idea for sure. but the brew store I buy my malted barley from sells peated malt barley.
seeing its going to have charred wood you want see the starch from the grain to bad i dont think. but i think im going to try and peat smoke some charred wood when i get a chance to make a run. I was thinking the peated wood would be a way to give a little scotch taste to a mostly barley whiskey that was one hand. if i did not want to risk over char i could smoke some lite toasted oak chips.
"somebody call me a doctor, i need a shot!"
BlueFlame

Equipment type: ss milk can "propane" with about 3' of 2" copper colume and liebeg cooler. getting ready for over haul.

Postby Beerswimmer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Yeah, should be easy. When I did my Scotch I made a smoking tray. I made a frame from 2x2's that pefectly fit my super cleaned grill and stapled fine wire mesh to it. I filled the tray with wet barley and lit a chunk, size of a slice of pie, of the the peat to smolder and smoke for.about 20 mins. The smoke(very cool in temp, but thick) was forced to pass through the wet barley. Then I took my smoked grains and used them in my mash. EASY!!!

That was my method, hope it helps!!!
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby Tracker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:31 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Harry's "essence of peat reek" is essentially smoked, toasted oak shavings, and the procedure is here somewhere. Note that American peat moss (sphagnum moss), and Scottish or Irish peat are 2 completely different animals, but maybe sphagnum moss can work. I've got some Irish peat I swapped a UK stillin' buddy for.

My reading of Harry's method was to heat some peat in a sealed tin, leave it cool, add some distillate, leave it soak, strain (filter)and bottle. Add some of this to the mash prior to distilling or even after distillation. I don't recall wood chips being mentioned ... but then I could also have oldtimers disease.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Actually, Tracker, we're both right. I just kinda abridged it to compare the shape of the oak. Harry's method puts both oak shavings and peat in a sealed tin, and heats it to get the peat smoking. The smoke is deposited on the oak shavings, and teh whole mess is essentially boiled in ethanol to extract the flavor.

That flavored ethanol (filtered) is what's added to the whisky.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Return to Miscellaneous