• Advertisement

labels, etc?

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

labels, etc?

Postby bionicbrew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 am

in the beer/wine homebrew world, some people give names to their 'homebrewery', name their beers and make logos and labels for fun and for when you give away some product to friends. so do home distillers do this? I have not seen any so far. I know that distilling is typically a little (a lot) more discrete, but I know you all have to be giving some away to friends... is it seens as a bit too :screwy: ? in trade for some shine from a friend last year I made him labels for his gift bottles.
3" reflux VM x5' packing
3" pot from left over parts
keg boiler/propane
4' liebig
bionicbrew

Re: labels, etc?

Postby Swede » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:09 pm

I've trades spirits with a few guys, and never labeled any of it. Neither did they. I think it's partly because the product is identified by it's proper designation (UJSM, neutral spirits, rum, AG whiskey) and who made it. There is a thread here somewhere about labels and such, but I do know that there is far less of it than on the home brew beer circuit. They do tend to name their brews and brewery.

I'm not sure what I'd call my brewery/distillery if I wanted to name it....never gave it much thought.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby bentstick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:48 pm

For transporting or taking some where,I use empty bottles from my local tavern for the product it contains(whiskey in whiskey bottles and rum in rum bottles),and use shrink wrap seals to seal them. Wife won't drink out of the Crown bottles,she said "it does the same thing original product does get you druuuuuunk"! :!: :!:
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby Oddball » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:07 pm

I took a half pint brandy I just made to a family gathering for the holidays, labeled it with sharpie on masking tape.
"Oddball's Brandy
Aged 3 Weeks
95 Proof "
Only a few were brave enough to try, I think it's better than the E&J we have around.
Woof, woof, woof! That's my other dog imitation.
Oddball

Equipment type: 15 gallon stainless keg with worm, propane fired. use my old boiler sometimes as thumper just built a lebig and will use it next run

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:54 pm

I believe there is a thread or two about labels....here's one viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1775

I'll sometimes label bottles that are intended as gifts, but anymore, I usually just write on my bottles with a white paint marker.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby Harry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby pockets » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 pm

When ive got alot to move I put mine in windsheild washer fluid jugs and color blue with food coloring. Orginal fluid has an alcohol spell.
pockets

Postby bionicbrew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:26 pm

good to see some do it. of course this is the one thing I didn't do a search for. :D not very many doing it it seems. having done beer brewing for many years, I love making labels. I think it adds a great personal touch to gifts and to explain what it is when given away or traded.
this is what I made for my buddy, maybe I'll add some of my others in the thread above.
3" reflux VM x5' packing
3" pot from left over parts
keg boiler/propane
4' liebig
bionicbrew

Postby Bushman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 am

dutchmancreek wrote:I believe there is a thread or two about labels....here's one viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1775

I'll sometimes label bottles that are intended as gifts, but anymore, I usually just write on my bottles with a white paint marker.

This is exactly the way I do it. Fancy labels take time to design and produce. I like them but only do them as gifts for special occasions.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Return to Miscellaneous