• Advertisement

Old flour paste... Dog biscuits?

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Old flour paste... Dog biscuits?

Postby Jeffery_Lebowski » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 am

Okay, some people make their own dog biscuits from what the internet tells me. I am faaairly confident there isn't a problem with my dog eating the old lute from my still after I break it off following a completed run. It wasn't my idea at first, but having since just dropped a few nice sized chunks on the kitchen floor my dog just ate ALL of it before I was paying attention to him.

I know he doesn't have any wheat allergies, but I'm looking for opinions here. He seems to like them a lot.
I'd almost be willing to put a touch of honey or a chicken bouillon cube in my lute mix just for his enjoyment.

I can just see some old timer stillin' in the woods with his guard hound and giving him loot at the end of the run as a treat way way back in the day.
"I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me. Or maybe His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Jeffery_Lebowski

Re: Old flour paste... Dog biscuits?

Postby jake_leg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 am

Chickens eat that stuff too.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Oddball » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

I would just toss mine on the shed (carport) floor and racoons would come and eat them. they knocked my flake stand/worm over one night denting it, so now I bring it all in when I am done...
Woof, woof, woof! That's my other dog imitation.
Oddball

Equipment type: 15 gallon stainless keg with worm, propane fired. use my old boiler sometimes as thumper just built a lebig and will use it next run

Postby punkin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby dutchmancreek » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Dogs like the strangest things. Ours used to simply love the hoof trimmings that the farrier left on the barn floor. I used to have to sweep them up to keep down how much they ate.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby Kapea » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Be careful that your dogs don't eat spent hops. They make the dog become hyperthermic and die.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular four plate 4" bubbler

Postby Swede » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Jeff, personally I'd do away with the flour paste in favor of a permanent silicone seal of some sort. I've used silicone on my stills from day one, and I haven't had any negative effects.

I used silicone for a boiler lid seal on my first stockpot still, I've also been using silicone triclamp seals on my bubble column for the last year and a half, and the original ones are still good.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby Jeffery_Lebowski » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:43 am

Eh, I try to be as traditional as possible, plus applying the paste is almost zen in a way for me. Didn't spend months designing and hammering my toy out just so I could set a caulk gun to it later.
"I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me. Or maybe His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Jeffery_Lebowski

Postby Kapea » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:11 pm

You know, iPods and playlists are pretty cool, but I'm a traditionalist. I prefer to listen to my stillin' music on my 8-track player. There's nothing else that has that wonderful background hiss.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular four plate 4" bubbler

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:24 pm

dutchmancreek wrote:Dogs like the strangest things. Ours used to simply love the hoof trimmings that the farrier left on the barn floor. I used to have to sweep them up to keep down how much they ate.

I've never met a dog that didn't like hoof trimmings. I also seem to remember that a local feed store used to sell cow hooves for dog treats.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Memories coming back- My neighbor and skeet-shooting buddy came over one day, not long after brew-day, saying he was worried about his black lab. I asked if the dog was sick, and Harv said he wasn't sure, but the dog was leaving dangerously huge steaming piles all around his house. Harv asked if maybe the dog "got into something", and that's when I remembered him eating all the spent grain off my compost pile. We didn't stop laughing for a long time.

Brewer's spent grain make a wonderful laxative.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby jake_leg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 am

Maybe that's Harry's morning secret for keeping regular. Never did try his grandmother's recipe for spent grain as breakfast cereal, but I'm sure it's merits are very... persuasive. :lol:
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby pockets » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 pm

My dashund bugs the hell out me until i give her some backins to drink. She knows when the wash has worked off and will run back and forth until i go to the barn.
pockets

Postby Dan P. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 am

My dog eats anything. She loves the still biscuits!
She once got into a bottle of paracetomol, but wisely just sucked off the sugary coating and spat out the medicine (took me a while to work out why there was a scattering of small, crumbly pills on the bedroom floor).
Most recently she ate a bunch of used tea-bags, which had a very clearly toxic effect on her nervous system.
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby Soldat Louis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 am

Mice surely like them. I found my pot thoroughly cleaned last time.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
Soldat Louis

Equipment type: 60l all copper pot + liebig
Boka in progres

Next

Return to Miscellaneous