• Advertisement

apple pie/strawberry panty dropper question

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

apple pie/strawberry panty dropper question

Postby jarheadshiner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:58 pm

I've not actually tried the strawberry panty dropper recipe but I have made a good bit of the apple pie which is a real crowd pleaser. My question is what would be the cheapest/fastest wash to use for these type of drinks. I have been using sweet feed whisky for this which is good but I really want to put more away to age on oak. I only have a potstill so what do you guys suggest for a cheap wash with not much flavor to use?
Lead, follow, or get the f#$k out of the way!
jarheadshiner

Equipment type: Pot still and CC VM. 1/2 keg boiler and 1/2 keg thumper for both and heated with propane.

Re: apple pie/strawberry panty dropper question

Postby bentstick » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm

I have just my UJ,I suppose you could use any simple sugar wash for neutral or vodka,and run it through your pot twice!
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby jarheadshiner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:35 pm

Think wineo's would be the cheapest and best bet? I'm getting tired of using all my whiskey for apple pie :ranting: I usually do a strip run one weekend and another strip and spirit run the next weekend. Too many people drinking up all of my likker so not getting much put up on oak like I had planned.
jarheadshiner

Equipment type: Pot still and CC VM. 1/2 keg boiler and 1/2 keg thumper for both and heated with propane.

Postby mikejwoodnz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:57 pm

I find the cheapest - that is cost effective and time efficient is a simple sugar/turbo yeast wash with a single pot still stripping run, diluted to 40% ABV for high flavour fruit like Peach,Raspberry etc or a double run for the higher ABV required for citrus type macerations like Limoncello or Arancello.
A good reference : http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby jarheadshiner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks. I will try the simple sugar but may use bakers yeast because that is what I have on hand.
jarheadshiner

Postby mikejwoodnz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:16 pm

jarheadshiner wrote:Thanks. I will try the simple sugar but may use bakers yeast because that is what I have on hand.

OK but you must add nutrients as well.
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby jarheadshiner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Yeah I have only done sweet feed ferments up until this point so I will have to do a little research to get a recipe for the proper nutrients etc.
jarheadshiner

Postby acfixer69 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 pm

If sweetfeed is working and a hit why not just double up on it. Its about a cheap as any thing out there. :doh:

AC
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Postby jarheadshiner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

acfixer69 wrote:If sweetfeed is working and a hit why not just double up on it. Its about a cheap as any thing out there. :doh:

AC

True. Just thought I would try something new and more neutral. I'm sure the sweet feed will be fine for other drinks too but apple pie is the only thing I have made so far.
jarheadshiner

Postby pintoshine » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm

8n doc stonees book. there is a short part on fermenting sugar with just yeast. He recommended using agitation an a butt load of yeast with a pond pump and an aquarium heater. The yeast doesnt grow it just provides the catalyst to cleave sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide. that is the most effective method to date for making vodka for mixing.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby jarheadshiner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks Pint. What book is it that you're referencing?
jarheadshiner

Postby punkin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:06 am

Birdwatchers aka TPW seems to be the most popular for sugar washes.
The Doctor ferments it in 1000l totes and does a few totes at a time for his licenced distillery.
Swears by the stuff.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby pintoshine » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 am

Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby jarheadshiner » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks Punkin. If it's good enough for the Doc it's good enough for me! :8) Thanks for the link too Pint.
jarheadshiner

Postby jarheadshiner » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:57 pm

punkin wrote:Birdwatchers aka TPW seems to be the most popular for sugar washes.
The Doctor ferments it in 1000l totes and does a few totes at a time for his licenced distillery.
Swears by the stuff.

Just out of curiousity is this the recipe you use for your neutrals? I realize I am not gonna get a true neutral with a potstill but just wondering. Also is there any different way I should potstill this as far as faster/slower for the strip or spirit fun as compared to a faux whiskey where I am trying to carry flavors over.
jarheadshiner

Next

Return to Miscellaneous