• Advertisement

apple pie/strawberry panty dropper question

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Re: apple pie/strawberry panty dropper question

Postby jarheadshiner » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 pm

I know I'm a aggravating SOB but I'm gonna put a pretty large ferment of this down (for me anyway) 80 litres and wanna get it right the first time so any tips on how fast I should run it on a potstill for best results?
Lead, follow, or get the f#$k out of the way!
jarheadshiner

Equipment type: Pot still and CC VM. 1/2 keg boiler and 1/2 keg thumper for both and heated with propane.

Postby Bushman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:41 am

I usually use a TPW, but have used UJ for apple pie and haven't noticed much of a taste difference as it has so much apple flavoring to it so I would use anything you have on hand that hasn't been on oak.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby wolfman1961 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 am

I find the simplest wash requiring the least amount of ingredients is DWWG. It makes good neutral even through the pot still and thumper!!
May your glass be ever full,
May the roof over your head be always strong,
And may you be half an hour in heaven,
Before the devil knows you're dead.
wolfman1961

Equipment type: Coffee pot with a straw

Postby jarheadshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Alright guys. I'll give the TPW a shot and see how it turns out. Appreciate it.
jarheadshiner

Equipment type: Pot still and CC VM. 1/2 keg boiler and 1/2 keg thumper for both and heated with propane.

Postby punkin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:18 pm

No, but if i did regular neutral runs i probably would. I haven't run neutral for a couple of years and still have 50l at 40%

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby jarheadshiner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:57 pm

punkin wrote:No, but if i did regular neutral runs i probably would. I haven't run neutral for a couple of years and still have 50l at 40%

Rub it in why don't ya? :lol: 50 litres... I can't keep 1l saved up with the thirsty bastards I hang around with! I read a post of yours that said you were hooked on neutral but I must not have looked at the date. So what are you making these days?
jarheadshiner

Postby punkin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:06 pm

All grain beer. And lots of it.

I don't drink spirits anymore. It was white rum i was fond of a couple of years ago when i got sick of beer sometimes.

I still do UJSM to keep the missus and mates happy, Scotch flavoured UJSM for the missus's best mate and i keep the rum stored up and ageing for swaps and trades with people although i haven'\t done a rum for a few years now and still have twenty to thirty litres.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby jarheadshiner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:33 pm

You're one helluva good man to put in the time and effort to make something that you don't even drink anymore! I am on the opposite side right now being kind of burnt out on beer but I've never made my own either. I am enjoying the spirits though!
May have to give the all grain beer a shot one day but I am totally in the dark on that process. Seems like a ton of work.
jarheadshiner

Postby punkin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm

It's pretty simple once you have the equipment (i already had it for stilling) and know how to do it. I was daunted but Kiwi led me by the hand.

I never was much of a spirits drinker, only started stilling since it interested me. Always made my own beer since i was 17 but always kits until last year. Half a lifetime wasted drinking bad beer.

punkin

Postby jarheadshiner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 pm

I was gonna give it a go a few years ago but never saw it through. Might have to rethink it. I eventually wanna do all grain spirits too but still cutting my teeth on the sugar head washes before I make a mess of of the all grain. I still drink beer but have been enjoying my sweet feed likker which I'm sure is shit compared to the drop the experienced stillers here make. But hey I made it and that sure makes it taste better :mg:
jarheadshiner

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous